• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't exactly know.  If I had to guess I'd say the steam is different than on the steam/bake setting?  Maybe @kayb can help us.  I just know that if they have a specific bread button, then it's probably best to use that one...... I can't wait to try again.  Might do some today.

I just used the bread setting and guesstimated the time...took the short side of the recipe recommended time, and knocked 5 minutes off that. Beginner's luck, I reckon.

Lesson learned with the CSO last night: 450F is too hot to bake sweet potato wedges:$. However, 450 for 10 minutes on steam bake turns out roasted broccoli llike a champ.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It's created a monster, it has.

I've used this thing every single day, I believe, since I got it. My oven has been turned on exactly once, and that was to keep things warm.

Today after church, I was cooking midday "dinner" for the three of us. I wanted to roast new potatoes in the CSO, but I also wanted to bake pork chops in it. So I steam-baked the potatoes, tossed in olive oil, for 20 minutes at 450, took them out, scooted them to one side, laid the pork chops alongside, cut the temp to 400, and went for another 20.

pork chop and potatoes.jpg

That was probably two or three minutes too long, as the pork was just a tad overdone. But the pork jus soaking the skin side of the potatoes, while the oil-coated cut sides browned beautifully -- that was a thing of beauty.

Because I'd already figured out I can't make a space for two of the danged things.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

It's created a monster, it has.

I've used this thing every single day, I believe, since I got it. My oven has been turned on exactly once, and that was to keep things warm.

Today after church, I was cooking midday "dinner" for the three of us. I wanted to roast new potatoes in the CSO, but I also wanted to bake pork chops in it. So I steam-baked the potatoes, tossed in olive oil, for 20 minutes at 450, took them out, scooted them to one side, laid the pork chops alongside, cut the temp to 400, and went for another 20.

pork chop and potatoes.jpg

That was probably two or three minutes too long, as the pork was just a tad overdone. But the pork jus soaking the skin side of the potatoes, while the oil-coated cut sides browned beautifully -- that was a thing of beauty.

Because I'd already figured out I can't make a space for two of the danged things.

It is a grand machine, ain't it?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 11:22 AM, rotuts said:

there are toaster oven pan sets that fit this.

I go away for a while, and look what happens!

Anyway, I bought this set from Nordic Ware, and like it a great deal.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:28 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A medium organic beet by weinoo's method:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1950041

With a little olive oil this could almost pass as tenderloin.  Sure doesn't taste like any beet I have ever had before.  I shall mention the recipe to a vegetarian friend as a meat substitute.  So easy to fix too.

Well, I wouldn't go that far!

On 7/18/2016 at 6:59 PM, kayb said:

I have had my CSO all of three hours. And it has already tried to kill me. 

First, I learned something. I learned when they say don't leave water in the reservoir when you're not using the steam function, they ain't kiddin'. I discovered this when I had to mop up about half a reservoir-full.

Glad you've got this figured out. Like rotuts, my Steam Girl is v1.0 and doesn't have that drain issue. Haven't had a leak ever.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

How about a whole baked russet potato?  I usually do these in the main oven on a bed of salt at 450 deg F. after rubbing the skin with grapeseed oil.

So for the CSO does an hour and a quarter, no oil, steam bake on rack at 450 deg F. sound reasonable?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Not sure that 450 might be too high and the outer layer would dry out.  The steam is a pretty potent cooking method.  Maybe 400 for your time and check after 45 min depending on how big your tatters are. .? Other input.

that seems too long.  puncture w a fork

i do potatoes 'dry'  but that's up to you   i like a seriously dry and crunchy skin.

I micro the potatoes for a few minutes first to get them going

Id say, dry, fork'd  450 steam bake  < hour , more like 50 min.

do more than one.  the extra you either eat right then its gong to be so good

or save for HomeFries in the AM.

chop up, season to your liking  add butter or oil

steam bake 20 minus or so

then steam-broil for extra color.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Not hearing any other feedback, the poor potato is in the CSO on steam bake at 400 deg F.  I fear this is the antithesis of my tried and tested method of baking a potato at higher heat in the long pre-heated bed of salt.  I always thought the object when cooking a baked potato was to dry it out as much as possible.

We'll see how it turns out.

I don't think I mentioned that last night I cooked my (for once better quality) chicken thighs 425 deg F. for thirty minutes.  Out of the CSO they measured 84 deg C.  Closer to what normal people might enjoy but not as tasty to me as more thoroughly cooked crunchy thighs with darker, crisper skin.  I wonder how steam broil for chicken thighs might work?

Well, the baked potato was not bad.  I wouldn't have sent it back in a restaurant.  Indeed, I can't say I have had as good from a restaurant kitchen.

But it was not as good as the conventional way of baking in a bed of salt.

Last night I baked 4 medium sized potatoes in the Steam Girl. Dry skin, pricked all over.  They took just under an hour, at 425°F with steam, for crispy skin and beautifully fluffy interiors.

Their picture is over on the dinner thread.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pristine Branzino purchased at Whole Foods.  Politely declined for the fish to be scaled and gutted.  Scaling was not needed, it was steam baked at 350 degrees in CSO for 25 minutes and fillet carefully removed with large thin fish spatula.  I was happy to gut it myself, ended up with delicious liver.

image.jpg

Ready to cook, slivers of garlic and ginger added for flavor

image.jpg

Pit was served with plain rice, white on white photo was not very interesting but the fish was delicious.  Left over carcass and skin.  

image.jpg

• Like 5

I'm trying something slightly different:  quartered parboiled red potatoes, salt and rosemary, as a bed for two Bell & Evens chicken thighs, 425 deg F. forty five minutes, or till the chicken skin looks right to me.  Bit of balsamic.

Typically I would oil my potato wedges first.  But I can't help but think the chicken thighs will render a bit of grease.

Well, after forty five minutes the thighs were 94 deg C. with beautiful skin but the potato wedges looked like they needed a bit more time to color.

The moment of truth is nigh.

Not bad, but I can't help but think it would have been better to cook the chicken and potatoes separately.  So little counter space.

• Like 1

why not start the potatoes first, for a certain amount of time, then add thee ck thighs ?

CkTh's in the CSB are outstanding with the finest crispiest skin Ive ever tasted.  note the ' bubbles ' on the skin.  a sure sign of

deliciousness.  thighs work well as they tolerate higher temps and longer cooking that white meat.

or micro the potatoes a bit more first, saving some time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Did chicken thighs myself last night. 20 min at 300F + steam and another 8 min on broil. Nicely cooked and crisped.

Steam broil or convection broil?

""  Steam broil or convection broil? ""

fundamental question Right Here :

steam seems to keep [ some ] moisture in the food.

steam at high enough temps does not impede browning

I personally would never have thought this  pre CSB

I far as I can tell, for my purposed, steam cooking exceeds  dry cooking in every way :  

quicker , moister , etc

not much of a baker, so that area,  except for the steam- burst to get your bread to rise a bit initially when baking

Ill leave to others.