• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

And as to the question I didn't address earlier, that was the browning I got from the 40 minute bake. No burning/overbrowning problem. I checked and was prepared to put foil over it, but didn't need to.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

Sooo   what does the black Knob do ?

if not tight, does water leak out ?

Im a bit miffed.

maybe my CSB need a Pal.

after I drum up and electrician for a few more 20 amp circuits dans le Kitchen.

Rotuts, I believe the black knob serves as a plug for the drain hole of the internal water reservoir (as opposed to the external removable clear plastic water reservoir).

My bread tonight worked pretty well, I think -- though as yet I have not tasted it.  It's cooling.*  The slashes opened a little and the bread was quite well proofed, with good oven spring.

I ran the 100 deg F. steam setting for ten minutes, with the oven empty, then with the CSO turned off I loaded the newly formed paton.  After 30 minutes I removed the pan from the CSO and slashed the paton.  The surface of the paton was still a little too moist I think for best scarification.

Then I returned the pan with the paton to the CSO and baked on the bread setting 15 minutes at 450 deg F.  At this time I turned off the CSO, rotated the pan 180 degrees, and convection baked 10 more minutes at 425 deg F.

Time now to go worry about the rest of dinner:  two of the components of which, the thymed red potato chunks and the chicken thigh, are about to go into the CSO on steam bake, 25 minutes at 425 deg F.  Fortunately due to recent replenishment from nuts.com there is no lack of peanuts.

*Yes, I know it's well more than past midnight but I don't get off work till 9:00 pm.  Bread cannot be rushed.

...And mai tais to go before I sleep, And mai tais to go before I sleep.  (I once attended a Frost reading, and he bobbled his own words too.)

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Oh...my...goodness. I have just had my first poached-egg-on-toast with toast from the CSO. I now understand why everyone waxes so rhapsodic about CSO toast. 

Photo on lunch thread.

I have to work on timing; the egg had to sit for a minute or two while the toast was finishing. This was setting 5 on the toast scale. I will go a little darker next time.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh...my...goodness. I have just had my first poached-egg-on-toast with toast from the CSO. I now understand why everyone waxes so rhapsodic about CSO toast. 

Photo on lunch thread.

I have to work on timing; the egg had to sit for a minute or two while the toast was finishing. This was setting 5 on the toast scale. I will go a little darker next time.

I just want to say that I have discovered the toast setting is dependent upon the bread. I am guessing the higher the sugar content of the bread the more quickly it will toast.   I had hoped to settle on a singular number but that can end up making some bread much too dark.  YMMV.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've found so far) with my new oven that I'm using the '3' setting for my bagels, breads and hamburger buns.  Sometimes , though, my artisan breads require a reset for another minute or so.  I agree that the sugar content is a big factor.

• Like 1

Ok, so, I made the Anadama bread yesterday.  It didn't turn out nearly as pretty as Kay's did.  First of all, I only have one smaller pan and that recipe makes enough for one large pan or the two smaller ones like Kay has.  I probably should have used some patience and just done one loaf at a time but I opted to use a big pan.

I proofed the dough in the pan at Kay's suggested 110 degrees for 15 mins.  It wasn't above the pan so I did it for 15 mins more.  By then, it was about 3/4 of an inch above the lip and I decided that was enough in case it rose more during baking.  I set the oven at 350 degrees for 30 mins.  I checked on it with 18 mins left and saw it was already browning far too quickly on top so I shoved some foil over it (which also probably contributed to it not looking as good as Kay's).  Anyway, I ended up baking it for the whole 40 mins, took it out, cooled it a bit and got it out of the pan.  It smelled SO good.  We each had a piece with dinner and we really liked it.  So, things I would do different:  I'm going to buy another pan so I have 2 smaller ones for next time.  Also, I only had dark molasses.  Maybe I'll use honey next time or a lighter molasses?  The color of the bread is like a wheat bread.  But, the flavor is good.  Thank you Kay!

photo 1.JPG

photo.JPG

• Like 7

Foccacia:

foccacia0720.jpg

Baguettes. Yes, I need help on my baguette shaping technique.

I made a poolish, per Reinhart, and split it between these two recipes. The foccacia is just excellent. Haven't cut into the baguettes yet.

The early bumps in the relationship road with the CSO are all forgiven. I'm in love!

baguettes.jpg

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

pls let us know how they work out in the CSB.

Ive been BkMarking stuff for the CSB

ring molds etc

when I hit Bingo  ( 49 amazonians for Free shipping  Ill consider an order. )

I like the 49 amazonian limit.  save me a Lot of $$$ .  as Im no longer Prime.

I'm away from my CSO right now but I'm wondering what the lowest temperature that can be set.

When I use my proofing box I generally set the temp for around 75ºF and I'm hoping I can set a similar temp in the oven.

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'm away from my CSO right now but I'm wondering what the lowest temperature that can be set.

When I use my proofing box I generally set the temp for around 75ºF and I'm hoping I can set a similar temp in the oven.

The lowest it goes is 100 F.  

Amazon now requires $ 49 for free shipping.

i had a  one month free Prime, a treated myself to lots of things, but, none of them really needed 2 day shipping.

the Amazon's Biz savvy I semi- admire.  

not so much stockholders money for 2 hours drones.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2016 at 10:50 AM, Anna N said:

Like so

image.jpeg

My reservoir was nearly empty so I unscrewed the knob out of curiosity. The water that drained out contained lots of mineral particulates. I continued to let it drain until it seemed clear. Think I'll try to remember to do this periodically. Additionally, when I had a leakage problem before it was due to the drainage tray not being properly seated in its grooves.

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 2

I use water from my Brita for only two things :

My AlexiaPId expresso machine and the CSB

tap water here fine tasting but those two machines get Brita with almost no Ca.

the CSB  uses very little water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyalexa said:

The water that drained out contained lots of mineral particulates. I continued to let it drain until it seemed clear. Think I'll try to remember to do this periodically.

This is good to know.   My CSO doesn't have that plug, so I assume there is no way to drain off any accumulated sediment or particulates.  I wonder if they added it because that could be an issue?  My water is not as bad as some places but is still on the hard side so perhaps I should follow @rotuts and use filtered water to fill the reservoir.

• Like 1

Oooooookay.  Confession time.  I'm actually red in the face right now because I can't believe how stupid I am.

No wonder my bread didn't come out well.  I mean it's good.  Ronnie loves it.  But I knew it looked nothing like Kay's.

I didn't use the bread setting.  

DUH

I used the steam/bake one.

Can't wait to try again.  

Sigh.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oooooookay.  Confession time.  I'm actually red in the face right now because I can't believe how stupid I am.

No wonder my bread didn't come out well.  I mean it's good.  Ronnie loves it.  But I knew it looked nothing like Kay's.

DUH

I used the steam/bake one.

Can't wait to try again.  

Sigh.

I think rotus said it best:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1972501

"Does everything from those Combi’s come out perfectly ? Not if you're frazzled and push the wrong buttons.  But its clear from watching these chefs: Experienced Users know what these ovens can do, they know very expensive top grade stuff ( the stuff we cant buy ) will come out as they expect it. Almost Every Time."

I restarted my bread tonight on steam bake but caught myself and switched to convection bake.  Haha, and now the evidence is all gone.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

Shelby, can you tell me what's different about the 'bread' setting?  I want to try this with my Caraway Rye Bread recipe.

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

I don't exactly know.  If I had to guess I'd say the steam is different than on the steam/bake setting?  Maybe @kayb can help us.  I just know that if they have a specific bread button, then it's probably best to use that one...... I can't wait to try again.  Might do some today.