• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, kayb said:

OK, y'all tell me. Can I set it on top of a microwave, if the dimensions are right?

Two things:

Condensation from the steam collects in a small plastic tray that slides in beneath the oven, right under the door.  If it's not emptied, it can overflow and leak onto the surface below.  I've never seen a microwave with vents on the top, but something to keep in mind.

Steam exits from vents that run along the rear of the oven so anything directly above ~ the left half of the oven (cupboards, shelves, hanging storage items) will get a bit of a steam treatment when using that function.

• Like 3

its also important to check that little try from time to time, mage more often than that.

strange things grow in it after a steam-bake.

and if you are like me, wash and dry and immediately place back in the slot.

Im told it can be forgotten if left to drip-dry, than the next steam-bake makes a bit of a mess under the CSB

that's what Ive been " told ".

• Like 2

My husband smoked a whole chicken yesterday.  It wasn't quite done when we were ready for dinner so I put it in the Cuis for a while.  OH it was so good.  

Then, I got to try out the steam clean function.  It was fun and easy :) Cleaned right up just like new.

• Like 1

Well like the Instant Pot it won't be too long before you realize that one is not enough! On another topic rotuts mentioned this very thing. One for meat and one for poatoes!t

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

CSO Story:  

Recently, I was at a gathering at a friend's home.  We were admiring her collection of antique toasters.  I mentioned that I didn't have even ONE toaster anymore since I replaced it with the CSO.  Another guest perked right up and said, "Did you say CSO?  You have one?  We just got one, too!"  He called over to his wife, "Hey, blue_dolphin has a CSO!"  She came right over and the three of us had a long discussion of its marvels.   It was like we'd exchanged the secret handshake and recognized each other as fellow members of the CSO society! xD

The others could not comprehend and weren't interested. Their loss.  

But I will continue to promote membership in the CSO society in hopes that Cuisinart continues to manufacture them.   Should I ever need another, I want them readily available!

• Like 2

On 7/2/2016 at 2:05 PM, kayb said:

All that has kept me from getting one of these is the lack of anywhere to put it. After seeing GFWeb's post, currently inspecting the top of the microwave to see what else besides the "junk bowl" will have to move. Didn't take but once turning on the oven when the temps got near 100 to remind me why I don't bake much in the summer. I suspect I'll have one before the month is out.

You and me both, @kayb. I have a Breville XL, which is also terrific for the hot days when I don't want to turn on the big oven, or the not-hot days when the big oven is already in use for something else. After seeing everything here, I think I'd like a CSO also. The catch: where to put it? The Breville is on the counter, beneath a row of wall cabinets. Thus, taking a page out of @Shelby's book and stacking the two would be impractical, both because I'm concerned about steam venting and because I'm not convinced there would be enough height. And I can't put anything much on top of my microwave; it fits into a small cubby in a cabinet close to the cat food and also near the dining room table—which is a great place for the microwave, as the #1 use for the microwave in our house is to slightly reheat a portion of refrigerator-cold canned food for His Highness, and the #2 use is to reheat leftovers destined for the staff of His Highness.

So, help me out: where else might be an appropriate place to put a CSO? (How much steam actually vents out during a cooking session?) Or better yet, convince me I really DON'T need one! (Yeah, right!!)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Then, I got to try out the steam clean function.  It was fun and easy :) Cleaned right up just like new.

Not sure the steam clean function is working.  Were you carefully following the cleaning instructions in the manual?

1. Always unplug the oven from the electrical outlet.
2. When cleaning the exterior, do not use abrasive cleaners, as they will  damage the finish. Simply wipe the exterior with a clean, damp cloth and  dry thoroughly.
3. Press the Steam Clean button. Once cycle is complete (45 minutes), wipe interior with a cloth or sponge. DO NOT use harsh abrasives or corrosive products, which could damage the oven wall surface."

Meanwhile last night was the other half of chicken.  Steam baked as before, then steam broiled for an additional five or so minutes.  Chicken overdone and pretty dry.  Live and learn.  Much better just steam baked.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not sure the steam clean function is working.  Were you carefully following the cleaning instructions in the manual?

1. Always unplug the oven from the electrical outlet.
2. When cleaning the exterior, do not use abrasive cleaners, as they will  damage the finish. Simply wipe the exterior with a clean, damp cloth and  dry thoroughly.
3. Press the Steam Clean button. Once cycle is complete (45 minutes), wipe interior with a cloth or sponge. DO NOT use harsh abrasives or corrosive products, which could damage the oven wall surface."

Meanwhile last night was the other half of chicken.  Steam baked as before, then steam broiled for an additional five or so minutes.  Chicken overdone and pretty dry.  Live and learn.  Much better just steam baked.

Yep.   It is tricky getting that steam clean function to work once you have unplugged it.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@MelissaH  

good questions, but ..............

once you get it, at a fair price   

218 amazon when they get a few more

it will find not only its Place, but a Key Place

on your counter

[ed.:  maybe not with our Friends North of the Border, but they do have Loonies ? correct ? ]

I just went and looked and they don't seem to have made it over to our side of the pond for some reason. Will have to keep an eye out (or possibly rule one out because of measurements because it would need to go where the toaster is).

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

You and me both, @kayb. I have a Breville XL, which is also terrific for the hot days when I don't want to turn on the big oven, or the not-hot days when the big oven is already in use for something else. After seeing everything here, I think I'd like a CSO also. The catch: where to put it? The Breville is on the counter, beneath a row of wall cabinets. Thus, taking a page out of @Shelby's book and stacking the two would be impractical, both because I'm concerned about steam venting and because I'm not convinced there would be enough height. And I can't put anything much on top of my microwave; it fits into a small cubby in a cabinet close to the cat food and also near the dining room table—which is a great place for the microwave, as the #1 use for the microwave in our house is to slightly reheat a portion of refrigerator-cold canned food for His Highness, and the #2 use is to reheat leftovers destined for the staff of His Highness.

So, help me out: where else might be an appropriate place to put a CSO? (How much steam actually vents out during a cooking session?) Or better yet, convince me I really DON'T need one! (Yeah, right!!)

I'm not the stacker....Gfweb is :)  I, too, have wall cabinets.  I am going to keep mine under there and when in use I'll move it out from underneath.  I think that will work ok.  I can post pictures .......

I don't know if you have room for a cart, but one of these might work?

9 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I think a flat shelf is pretty important. I bought this  AV utility cart. The power strip is a very nice feature.

Yeah, I think so too.  I meant one of the carts further on down the page.

Okay, I'm coming over to the CSO side but before I order I need to know what pan and what size you have for cooking inside.  The quarter-sheet pans don't fit, which is what I now have.

I kinda need to know the inside dimensions, please.

9 minutes ago, lindag said:

Okay, I'm coming over to the CSO side but before I order I need to know what pan and what size you have for cooking inside.  The quarter-sheet pans don't fit, which is what I now have.

I kinda need to know the inside dimensions, please.

The sheet pan that comes with the unit is 10 1/2" x 10 1/2".  The inside is about 5 1/2" from the rack placed in the lowest level to where the heating   bar starts so really I'd go with 5".  

there are toaster oven pan sets that fit this.

I have them, and Ill measure them

the muffin pan  is 11 1/2 inch wide and fits

before they send me a second pan from the V1  I had a revile mid sized pan it it was much studier than the one initially supplied.

but two older pans work fine, but do not have a very high lip

from what Ive read here the newer pan with the newer model are sturdier.

Im guessing the lip is the same but do not know.

If you accumulate a lot of ' jus ' during a roasting even, consider the Breville pan  which b' sells as 'parts'

its incredibly easy to get around the size limitations once you realize what steam baking and sealed toasting can do.

A medium organic beet by weinoo's method:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1950041

With a little olive oil this could almost pass as tenderloin.  Sure doesn't taste like any beet I have ever had before.  I shall mention the recipe to a vegetarian friend as a meat substitute.  So easy to fix too.

Served with Boursin and half a loaf of last night's bread (reheated in the CSO, of course).  Dessert is a drop of Gosling's Old.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou