• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

When I was growing up, beef dripping from the roast with plenty of salt on toast was most definitely a thing. It's not the healthiest, but it's very tasty. I usually opt for it blended into the gravy these days.

Edited by Tere (log)
  • Like 1

Beef drippings = Yorkshire pudding for me. I don't eat much beef any more but the thought of Yorkshire pudding (and the memories of same from my childhood) may convince me to look for a nice roast again soon. I would have to invite a lot of meat eaters though since (carb-lover) I would just as soon only dine on the 'pudd'.

Turkey Breasts in the CSB w bacon is one of my favorites.

I had some issues w the final internal temps in the past, 140 out of the oven is my preference.  300 F Steam-Bake for 30 min got my last batch above that.

they were still better than what you might buy in the deli for sandwiches, but not as good as 140 which for me is outstanding.

Turk1.jpg

this last patch was a little bigger than previous ones, and I tried 275 steam-bake for 30.   I could have managed an internal continuous probe w a remote

but wanted something simpler.  at 30  / 275 these thermapen's  110.  I dropped the temp down to 250 steam, and checked in 10 minutes.  125.

then came back in 5 more and they were 145.

it sees that once you get to > 120 internal  that temp rises faster than id thought.    so either do a continuous temp or watch very carefully after 120.

Turk2.jpg

torch browned.

note the clear jus in the pan  I let the TB's cool, and the jus what cooled in a pyrex glass measuring 2 cup unit.   some fat congealed on top ( very little )

and i then got this :

Turk3.jpg

this clear jus was delicious.  not too salty, turkey flavor and bacon.  sandwich is a turkey BLT.  all you can see is the lettuce here.

very nice combo.  much better than my last attempt at a 'Turkey dip'

• Like 3

I've noticed t his temp phenomenon too. Takes forever for a steak to go from 80 to 90, but 110 to 120 is more than twice as quick. Can't figure out the physics of this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive posted similar before :

CSR 1.jpg

country style port ribs were on sale :    $ 0.88 / lb  3 lbs min  for some reason the other week.

CSR 2.jpg

steam-bake  375 until done

CSR 3.jpg

Glazed  ( General Tao, TJ's )  Steam-Broil  400    then second glaze after broil for visual effect

best Ive ever made.  this particular store cuts them thick.

dummy I am.   I only bought two packs, i.e. freezer space issues

even with the compact CSB,  steam-bake and steam-broil are well worth it

does not dry out.  this group seems to have had little Loin, which of course, should be treated differently.   but the rest of the meat had just the right amount of fat

for Extra Deliciousness.

have a CSB ?  try these.  you won't look back !

• Like 6

@rotuts, in my experience "country style" ribs tend to be tough. Does the CSB tenderize them, or just prevent them from drying out?  

I'm mostly wondering how the CSB results compare to doing those ribs sous vide. One obvious difference is that sous vide would require an extra step for browning. What else does the CSB do for you, compared to that other toy?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

the very best possible CSRibs would be SV.  bagged w/0 salt and at 130.1 with non-salt favorings of your choose.

had i got 1/2 of a bazillion lbs. at $ 0.88 / lbs  I would have done them this way in a heart beet.  then dealt with the 'crust' after the fact pre serving

the loin that way would have melted in my mouth.

a steam oven just prevents drying  and cuts down on the cook-time as the environment  ( heat + steam ) transfers thermal energy to the item faster.

SV  if I had freezer space,  at this price point   and the quality of these CSRibs from this place, I probably would have done 20 + packs, 2 - 3 ribs / pack

rapid chill , into the freezer.

the CSB was very easy for a single meal.  enough for 2 with decent Hors'D's   

steam baking / roasting / broiling is faster by a bit, and results in a moist-er   Dans le Plate item

if these come around again at a similar price point, thick like the ones Ive shown, you bet  Im going to SV them w/o salt but various flavors until

'not quite drop off the bone ' and freeze a lot of the bags.

• 3 weeks later...

So now that I have a CSO arriving tomorrow -- thanks to rotuts -- what are the optimum parameters for crisp chicken skin?  I have no problem cooking the chicken sous vide ahead of time, if that helps.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

try chicken thighs, with skin on  ( w bone or not )

trimm all the underside fat and discard

here is an old post of mine :

its june 17 2014  its steam-bake BTW

chicken and turkey skin are exceptional in the CSB

get a hold of really fresh bread, even fresh EM's  and toast them

you will be in for a very big surprise.  works best with thicker slices.

remember the pan that comes w the CSB is a bit flimsy and the fat in the bottom will be very hot !

le us know your results. if you can

PS there several other suggests in the days before June 17th '14

Edited by rotuts (log)

Of course I had reread the entire two CSO threads before I asked my chicken question.  This eGullet after all.  But the chicken can wait until tomorrow.  Tonight was corn.  I found a combi oven recipe for corn cooked in the husk but soon learned unhusked corn does not fit in the Cuisinart.  By the way the pan that came with my Cuisinart is quite sturdy I would say, not flimsy in the least.

Anyhow I started with three ears of corn at 19 cents each.  The object was to recreate Modernist Cuisine sous vide corn, 60 deg C for fifteen minutes.  The Cuisinart can be set in only ten degree increments, and that in Fahrenheit.  Not wanting underdone corm I first tried 150 deg F. for thirty minutes:  not horrible but overdone.  Then 150 deg F. for fifteen minutes.  It may have been the rum or it may have been the Frascoti, but that ear took an awfully long time to cook.  Once I remembered to press the start button it went much faster.  Better but not great.  Finally 140 deg F. for fifteen minutes.  This was the best, but I'm still remembering sous vide corn was better.

I have a poolish ripening and will try bread to go with the chicken.  Sadly I noted the Cuisinart does not have room to hang a chicken vertically as @nathanm suggests.

• Like 2

Dinner was chicken marsala a la Kenji.  Chicken steam baked in the CSO, 450 deg F. for 25 minutes  I can't say the skin was shatteringly crisp, but the flesh was wonderful.  Baguette, sort of attenuated, baked in the CSO 450 deg F for 25 minutes.  Not the best bread I have ever baked, but still pretty good.  I think the trick for bread in the CSO is to reduce the temperature and increase the time.

Dessert was ice cream and that which was in my dreams last night:  iSi whipped cream.

• Like 1

don't forget to get used to the steam-broil

timing with the CSB for meat is very different from a dry oven.

so its best to keep track

a thick cut  ( turkey br, meat loaf ) requires a thermapen, and then some torching so as not to over cook the meat

esp TB's

Edited by rotuts (log)

The Steam Fairy brought me a CSB the other day. It seems very happy atop the BSO.

20160630_160951.jpg

Lots of fooling around to follow.

Onion quarters cooked at 350 F "super steam" for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes. 5 min was just cooked, 10' softer with a little texture still, 15' sweeter and soft, 20' too soft. Not much browning.  Higher temp needed?

2129.jpg

I tried to brown onions at the same setting. Was slower than stovetop and took a lot of stirring.

Brussels sprouts at 350 F, super steam at 10, 15 and 20 min.

10 was al dente, 15' just right and nicely browned, 20' mushy

2125.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The Steam Fairy brought me a CSB the other day. It seems very happy atop the BSO.

20160630_160951.jpg

Lots of fooling around to follow.

Onion quarters cooked at 350 F "super steam" for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes. 5 min was just cooked, 10' softer with a little texture still, 15' sweeter and soft, 20' too soft. Not much browning.  Higher temp needed?

2129.jpg

I tried to brown onions at the same setting. Was slower than stovetop and took a lot of stirring.

Brussels sprouts at 350 F, super steam at 10, 15 and 20 min.

10 was al dente, 15' just right and nicely browned, 20' mushy

2125.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!  We will be learning together.  

I just got one delivered today.

I can't wait to get him fired up.

Toast will be my first ....we're having breakfast for dinner tonight.

I wish I could set mine on top of each other.... might have to look into getting a cart of some kind.  Right now the steam boy isn't in his permanent spot....but he's sure happy here.  The Breville feels like she has a friend :) 

• Like 7

I had a friend visiting last few days.  I used the little oven a few times and she was drooling.  She has an old, old Amana microwave from the Stone Age that will not die and therefore, because she is from that era of waste not want not, it remains in her kitchen.

i think I have convinced to put it out on the curb and get with the new technology.  I think if I send her the link to buy one it may happen.

too much fun spending other people's money....kinda like Egullet's influence on my kitchen spending.:|

• Like 5

I don't know how it will turn out, but I reheated last night's length challenged baguette at 350 deg F. for 10 minutes on steam bake.  At the moment I am cooking a quartered onion and large cubes of russet potatoes on parchment with salt and rosemary, 425 deg F. on steam bake.  I first coated the onion and potato with olive oil, but did not parboil as I would when cooking in the conventional oven.

It smells good.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not sure the CSO steam baked russet potatoes were better than my usual red bliss, boiled then baked.  Hardly apples to apples comparison.  However the potatoes did not go to waste.  Onions at forty minutes were a bit overdone, for which one cannot blame Cuisinart.  Nonetheless quite tasty.

The rest of dinner was leftover ribeye -- or perchance 72 hour chuck -- pan seared, along with thirty second green beans.  Hard to go wrong there.

But what blew my mind was the CSO reheated day old baguette.  Amazing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But  what blew my mind was the CSO reheated day old baguette.  Amazing.

Yes!  The ability of that steam-bake function to revive bread is incredible.  Ditto for any leftovers with a pastry crust like quiche.  

• Like 4

nice study

@gfweb  

Oddly, Ive never used ' super-steam '

Ill have to look into it.

I think only because its farther along on the rotary dial, and I get pretty hungry at ' steam-bake ', which is a few clicks earlier.

more or less.

as Ive said before, just as a toaster with really fresh bread, its well worth it if you can get it at a sale price,

every home baker would love one.

or with fresh EM's from the store.   check the sell date, BTW  makes a difference.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3