• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Goes to France!

Do you mean you won't be happy with the baguettes you get (or make) home after this?

The photos are so wonderful!  I had no idea there was so much going on in the world of cake toppings.  :cool:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

A more 'old fashioned' appearing store - but had a lovely pink peppercorn ganache that I was quite taken with. We have been invited back for a tour of the manufacturing area on Tuesday.  

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

More things seen in our wanderings this morning.

IMG_0865.jpg

What happens to all those poor legless frogs. 

• Like 10

Do you mean you won't be happy with the baguettes you get (or make) home after this?

The photos are so wonderful!  I had no idea there was so much going on in the world of cake toppings.  :cool:

Yeah - won't be happy with the ones at home.

Cake toppings have progressed indeed!

• Like 1

It was our great pleasure to have lunch with jmacnaughtan and his wife today at Les Climates - a burgundian restaurant. I had presumed upon James to take delivery for me of a large order of IBC Power Flowers which are concentrated colouring for chocolate. 

The food was fabulous, the wines excellent and the company stellar.

DSCN5308.jpg

Gougères and palmier as amuse bouche

DSCN5309.jpg

A nice Crémant 

DSCN5310.jpg

The burgundy to accompany the main course

DSCN5311.jpg

Snails 

DSCN5312.jpg

Dressed with their sauce

DSCN5316.jpg

Lamb, gnocchi with veg

DSCN5318.jpg

Sole for one diner

DSCN5319.jpg

DSCN5321.jpg

After's were cheese plate or Rhubarb 

DSCN5322.jpg

Couple of different Chartreuse - yellow and the VEP

DSCN5324.jpg

DSCN5323.jpg

Mignardise

• Like 10

So tonight we are in Barcelona. We had thought to pop down to Aix en Provence after I discharged my students to explore a callison producer however that would have cost somewhere in the region of €1000 so we thought perhaps heading to Spain to check out torrone production might be more sensible. 

Vivanda.

DSCN5325.jpg

House made vermouth

DSCN5327.jpg

Pan con coca y tomate

DSCN5329.jpg

Crawfish for me

DSCN5330.jpg

Tuna tartar for Jess

DSCN5331.jpg

Tarte tatin 

DSCN5332.jpg

Pannacotta with bitter orange marmalade 

• Like 10

Kerry,

I know you're reporting your real experiences, but they seem like a fairy princess fantasy world to me. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your European odyssey with us.

It looks like they sure do understand how to make good bread over there. Wow!

One question: Vivanda seems like a fairly upscale restaurant, and while I believe shellfish has much more flavor cooked in its shells, I don't think I'd be exactly comfortable picking up and peeling saucy shellfish in a white tablecloth environment. Those are lovely-looking crawdads, and I couldn't leave them on the plate. What did you do?

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

What looks like a white tablecloth is actually a piece of white leather so it cleans up well after.  

I picked the crawfish with my fingers, sucked every little bit of goodness out of them and completely covered my fingers with the onion and sherry sauce that they came buried in (which I also sucked off my fingers).  Cleaning my hands meant that I completely fouled their white cloth napkin - so much so that I didn't want it back on my lap for dessert.  

• Like 6

Oh, oh, oh. IBC Power Flowers you say! :wub:

What an amazing trip you have been on, Kerry. I am so jealous - mainly because if I were to go I am sure I would have missed most of what you seem to have found because I would not have a clue where to find them. Did you plan all the shop visits yourself or do you have a guide?

Thank you SO very much for chronicling your adventures in Europe for us. I am living vicariously through you right now and enjoying every bite!

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3

What Deryn said!

Did workshop attendants get to keep those snazzy aprons?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I picked the crawfish with my fingers, sucked every little bit of goodness out of them and completely covered my fingers with the onion and sherry sauce that they came buried in (which I also sucked off my fingers).  Cleaning my hands meant that I completely fouled their white cloth napkin - so much so that I didn't want it back on my lap for dessert.  

As should be. I enjoy watching people try to figure out a way to eat something obviously meant to be finger food without touching it. Makes me glad I'm an uncouth slob who can just enjoy food without caring what people I don't even know think about how I choose to go about it.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

As should be. I enjoy watching people try to figure out a way to eat something obviously meant to be finger food without touching it. Makes me glad I'm an uncouth slob who can just enjoy food without caring what people I don't even know think about how I choose to go about it.

Exactly!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oooooooooh  Myyy

I guess i should have been a Student of Chocolat a long time ago !!!

Ill just watch the Movie  'Chocolat'

its the France I remember from the mid '50's

Watch the movie, if you like.  There's not a lot to be learned from it.  However, much better is read the book.  Much richer than the movie and a different slant. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't know about that.  It takes real skill to eat prawns with both cutlery and elegance ;)

I don't know about that.  It takes real skill to eat prawns with both cutlery and elegance ;)

That's true. And there was a period of time when I concerned myself with it. Then I decided that it was entirely possible for fancy and fun to live in harmony and I quit worrying about it. You look around the room in a fancy restaurant where everybody is being proper and polite and then the chef sends out a course that practically forces the diners to lower their guard and have a little fun with the food and suddenly the place lights up. I respect other's right to prefer to keep things completely formal, it's just no longer my preference.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh, oh, oh. IBC Power Flowers you say! :wub:

What an amazing trip you have been on, Kerry. I am so jealous - mainly because if I were to go I am sure I would have missed most of what you seem to have found because I would not have a clue where to find them. Did you plan all the shop visits yourself or do you have a guide?

Thank you SO very much for chronicling your adventures in Europe for us. I am living vicariously through you right now and enjoying every bite!

I have Alleguede's wife Jess with me - she speaks both french and spanish (not so much Catalan - but that's not causing a huge issue). She was raised in the south of France near the Spanish border and spent a lot of time in this area over the years. She has been the only reason I can get to all these places successfully - I would be totally lost here without her. In fact she is the one who determined all the places we needed to see - with input from her hubby who keeps sending along new suggestions.  

What Deryn said!

Did workshop attendants get to keep those snazzy aprons?

Well I'm not sure if they were supposed to - but I kept mine!

• Like 5

IMG_0881.jpg

At the market this morning we saw some interesting things - this is a copper candy pan inside a chamber that keeps it hot for making praline nuts.  

IMG_0883.jpg

If you look carefully you can see an alembic still on the left side of her display table.  She sells essential oils and such.

IMG_0884.jpg

Cheesecakes.

IMG_0885.jpg

Tarts made with puff pastry.

IMG_0886.jpg

Chicherron.

IMG_0887.jpg

Orange rind covered in a nice dark chocolate - enjoying a piece right now.  He also makes 'truffles' with chocolate, sugar and olive oil rolled in cocoa powder.  

IMG_0888.jpg

Spreadable sausage. 

IMG_0889.jpg

Paella will be happening later in the day. 

IMG_0890.jpg

One of Jess's favourites, almond paste around dried fruit and rolled in roasted pine nuts. 

IMG_0896.jpg

Hofman bakery - Jess got a flavoured croissant and I tried the Kouign aman.  

IMG_0897.jpg

Nougat joint - the story of our lives today was to show up to shops that were closed, justing closing or not open yet.  The lady in this one was not yet ready to receive customers and made no bones about it. So she returned later.  

IMG_0899.jpg

Wookie Cookies.  

IMG_0900.jpg

These little delights - no name for them but they are a nice crispy biscuit with almonds attached, dipped in dark chocolate.  

IMG_0913.jpg

Kronuts! There was even a bit of a lineup just like the real thing.  

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

On the way to lunch we passed this Iberico ham seller.  Managed to get a little taste of a nice soft, 2 year aged leg.  

IMG_0925.jpg

A bar that sells some candy - to differentiate from a lot of other shops that sell pastry, chocolate and also sell liquor.  

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Had to drop around to Oriol Balanguer's shop that sells chocolate - was quite facinated by his payment system.  If you are paying cash - then you put the bills and coins in and it returns change to you. Guess it keeps the staff honest. 

Tried two chocolates - a sweet corn which tasted like peanut and might just have been but was rather nice - and an orange that didn't have much orange flavour and had an extremely thick bottom. 

• Like 9

Lunch at Suculent

IMG_0920.jpg

DSCN5353.jpg

Wonderful olives. 

DSCN5354.jpg

Brandade.

DSCN5355.jpg

Shrimp ceviche - absolutely perfect.  

DSCN5356.jpg

Bread with tomato.

DSCN5359.jpg

Grilled octopus with chickpeas.

DSCN5361.jpg

Steak tartare with roasted bone marrow.  

IMG_0921.jpg

Two of these great sinks in the bathroom.  

DSCN5348.jpg

On our travels we saw parrots eating the bread people throw for them and oranges that are windfalls.  

DSCN5352.jpg

I've seen lots of gargoyles - but this was my first cowgoyle.  

• Like 13

DSCN5365.jpg

DSCN5371.jpg

24,158 steps today according to my fitbit - hence our collapse after drinks and tapas.  We had planned to head to the beach for paella however we are exhausted and we see that is it pouring rain outside - so all is well as we relax in our room.  

Tapas and a glass of rioja at Tapas 24.

DSCN5366.jpg

Olives.

DSCN5367.jpg

Scale set up beside the Berkel to control the Iberico Ham.

DSCN5368.jpg

Iberico ham and bread with tomato.

DSCN5369.jpg

Papas bravas

DSCN5370.jpg

Croquettes

DSCN5374.jpg

Potatoes with chorizo and egg - thought we were getting something more like a frittata - but this deluxe version of eggs and chips was great. 

DSCN5375.jpg

Meats with pasta.

IMG_0944.jpg

Here is what we picked up at the Turrón place.  

• Like 10

That is the one meal I wish I could have shared with you! That ham, those potatoes and you know that tapas rate high on the things I love. Small plates of tasty bites are my idea of good eating.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, just for me, except for the LunchLadies  squid   I hope you don't get home any time soon.

eventually, of corse, 

healthy, wiser, etc, but just not quite yet.

I understand, that Morocco is not that far away   

down south.

some of the cities are old Spanish

Id think of Tangiers.  

just saying.   

Edited by rotuts (log)

Wookie Cookies and Cowgoyles! :biggrin: 

And, of course, all of that incredible looking food...

• Like 2