• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Goes to France!

Dinner I believe was in the hotel dining room.

image.jpg

Fromage frais

image.jpg

Wine of course

image.jpg

Slugs

image.jpg

I hardly had any wine before this picture though you'd never know it.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Slugs"?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just received today's lunch photos from Kerry. Expect to talk to her later and will ask about all your questions. Anna N

image.jpg

Seafood terrine

image.jpg

Salad for the shellfish allergic

image.jpg

Salmon

image.jpg

Lovely little potatoes

image.jpg

Tomme de Valcoeur

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pastry class was finishing in the other room -- we got their pastries for lunch today.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I talked to Kerry very briefly until we lost audio on her side. She could hear me but I could not hear her. However she confirmed her slugs were indeed escargot.

DInner was a chicken taco from the Kebab joint up the street. I had to go out and get fruit and water for the train tomorrow - and by the time I downloaded the 400 or so photo's I'd taken today the gang had already headed off for dinner so I grabbed this.

Imagine my surprise when I found that along with fries - they had put fries inside the 'taco' as well.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

This is the result of the three days of training at Valrhona -- they even gave me a certificate!

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I talked to Kerry very briefly until we lost audio on her side. She could hear me but I could not hear her. However she confirmed her slugs were indeed escargot.

DInner was a chicken taco from the Kebab joint up the street. I had to go out and get fruit and water for the train tomorrow - and by the time I downloaded the 400 or so photo's I'd taken today the gang had already headed off for dinner so I grabbed this.

Imagine my surprise when I found that along with fries - they had put fries inside the 'taco' as well.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You in Pittsburgh?

Beautiful photos! Thanks!

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome back! Did you come away with ideas for new things to try? Or was it all exceptionally well done but familiar to you?

Ok - had about 50 pictures up here - answered a PM - 50 pictures gone.  WIll upload in smaller chunks.

So on our return to Paris - we went in two vans - to the antlier of Alan Ducasse and to the production facility of Jacque Genin

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Two pictures taken to make John DePaula nostalgic. 

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

• Like 9

Another Patric Roger store with sculptures made from the original chocolate models.

DSCN5268.jpg

Sadly pictures of the front of these elephants didn't turn out well - so elephant asses are all you get!

DSCN5266.jpg

DSCN5264.jpg

DSCN5262.jpg

DSCN5261.jpg

DSCN5260.jpg

DSCN5273.jpg

DSCN5272.jpg

DSCN5271.jpg

DSCN5270.jpg

• Like 8

Dinner this evening - again at Cafe Mucha. Needed a bit of wine tonight.

DSCN5275.jpg

DSCN5276.jpg

Scallops for me.

DSCN5277.jpg

DSCN5278.jpg

Soup and salad for Mary Grace.

DSCN5279.jpg

Bread - but of course!

DSCN5280.jpg

Cake with creme anglaise.

• Like 12

Welcome back! Did you come away with ideas for new things to try? Or was it all exceptionally well done but familiar to you?

I hope to test the theory that the weird mixing method of ganache being promoted by Valrhona actually reduces the water activity of the product.

• Like 2

While I don't think it would be appropriate for me to share here all the info that the students learned at this course - I would like to show a few pictures of the ganache mixing method that Valrhona is now promoting.  When you look at the recipes we were given - most actually describe the 'old' way of doing it (pouring the hot cream over the callets) - but all the ganaches were made using the new method this course. The claim is that you get a much more elastic ganache and that it will have better properties and a longer shelf life. As mentioned above I will test that when I get home.

We have discussed this method before - link - and clearly it caused some differences of opinion.  

So essentially what is being done is to add the cream in about 5 additions - in the initial stages the cocoa butter separates from the mass and forms a shiny surface. Friction is applied to help allow the proteins in the chocolate to form the stretchy matrices that give the ganache it's flexibility. Friction can be applied in the form of elbow grease or using an immersion blender.  

DSCN4309.jpg

DSCN4310.jpg

DSCN4311.jpg

DSCN4312.jpg

DSCN4313.jpg

DSCN4314.jpg

DSCN4315.jpg

DSCN4316.jpg

DSCN4317.jpg

DSCN4318.jpg

Room temperature butter is added with an immersion blender when the ganache is sufficiently cool so that it's emulsion is not broken.  

DSCN4325.jpg

• Like 8

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

Libraire Gourmande - source of all cookery books - this is some of the english language books.  

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

Looks like they've got just about everything covered cake topper wise. 

IMG_0800.jpg

We saw this Pacojet wanna be at Mora - apparently it's been there a long time - price would be negotiable - but power is 220 unfortunately.  

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Sugar sculptures at Deco Relief.  

IMG_0815.jpg

Bumblebee made from two half spheres.

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

Another visit to Edwart - the second of their three locations - this time we had the opportunity to meet Edwin the other owner.  He makes the sculptures.  I was very excited by the bonbons these guys are making.  Heads and tails above the rest.  

IMG_0784.jpg

We had a long chat - and he gifted us with a couple of his eggs left over from easter.  

IMG_0826.jpg

Art outside a restaurant.

IMG_0818.jpg

• Like 9

Lunch today - 

DSCN5283.jpg

Foie on Pain d'Epice for me 

DSCN5285.jpg

Cheese plate for Jess

DSCN5286.jpg

DSCN5287.jpg

Sorbets for both

Dinner was  - 

DSCN5298.jpg

Kir Royale for Jess, Campari and grapefruit for me.

DSCN5299.jpg

DSCN5303.jpg

Moule frites for me

DSCN5302.jpg

Pasta with chicken for Jess

DSCN5304.jpg

DSCN5305.jpg

DSCN5306.jpg

Then we went and enjoyed tea and dessert at the Plaza Athenee.  A bit posh - we stopped short of getting a selfie with the waiter who felt the necessity to explain where Ceylon was located.  

• Like 8

IMG_0831.jpg

Here are the eggs gifted to us by Edwin of Edwart. It was late while I was posting last night - apparently I reposted a picture of a shelf of books rather than this!

• Like 8

This is wonderful, Kerry. Thanks so much for posting your pictures and narratives.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Oooooooooh  Myyy

I guess i should have been a Student of Chocolat a long time ago !!!

Ill just watch the Movie  'Chocolat'

its the France I remember from the mid '50's

W/O the you know  .............

BTW  that cup and saucer for the coffee would be nice in any bodies

breakfast set up

just saying ................ 

Edited by rotuts (log)