• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Goes to France!

Glad to hear there is such a thing as a truly 'big' room (our last Paris room was big - in theory).

Food looks great - I should have called in sick and come with you.

I gave Jess a mission - to see if she could find a recipe for a Portuguese almond tart that I can't even properly describe. I can be cruel!

• Like 1

I hope Jess comes through with the recipe! It's really nice to see the side trip through Portugal, and to know that this trip isn't over yet. Kerry, thank you for the tour. Jess, please keep it coming...and on the basis of seeing a "2 posts" next to your name, I'll add a "Welcome!" I hope we'll see more of your posts around here.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Anna and Jess,

I also was really taken with the mussels photo.

We used to be able to get New Zealand greenlips at the chain Romano's Macaroni Grill locally, but sadly no more. I like the more commonly available mussels too, but they are no comparison to greenlips. I found some at our local seafood monger, but they were in the freezer case, so I passed.

Thank you, Kerry and Jess, for sharing your European trip with us. I know it took a lot of time, and I hope you know how much we all appreciate that!

> ^ . . ^ <

Next weekend I have plans to get together with my elder son and family, for, among other things, dinner.  I am holding out my hope for mussels.  From an excellent Greek restaurant.  Not to mention remarkably good octopus.

Many thanks for this thread.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Smithy - Jess says she has a whole lot of food pictures from many trips over the years - we'll have to encourage her to start a thread "Tales from my Travels" when she gets home and start offering them up as time allows. She was recently in Japan.

Oh yeah - and weight does not appear to be different than the last time I checked - I actually feel lighter than when I left and hadn't weighed myself

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

IMG_0285.jpg

Jess brought me back this lovely Pain d'epice made by an MOF in the Burgundy region where she was visiting with her aunt.  

It appears to have survived the assault of  travel rather well.  Shall attack it after dinner tonight.  

• Like 7

Today's meals are a lot lighter... I feel like my fitness has greatly increased in terms of walking, but I feel like I have been taking in more calories than burning them.

Breakfast was very similar to that in France, with the exception of the passion fruit juice I drank instead of orange juice: it was very very very sour in taste!

I set off to Belem where I tried the world famous Pasteis de Belem along with traditional Pasteis Bacalhau (cod croquette).

IMG_3469.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

Fondant sculpture.

IMG_3463.JPG

Beautiful tea urn.

IMG_3464.JPG

For lack of patience (I didn't want to wait forever in the line up to have coffee at the café, I ended up going to Starbucks (I can't believe I am writing this... I am almost ashamed, but the addiction was greater than my will). I was positively surprised to find their coffee to be very different than that of north America and quite decent actually! It still doesn't beat traditional European coffee.

The other photos I wanted to share were more about the environment:

Kerry - here are escalators that move with the spacing of the stairs, a different take on Paris' uphill escalators...

IMG_3584.JPG

Lemon trees ripe with fruit. Just like in Barcelona, orange and olive trees everywhere. I also saw a gipsy picking oranges from the trees, so I guess that answers our question about how come the bottom of the trees are fruitless compared to the tops (I also suspect the city cleans up too).

IMG_3579.JPG

All of Lisbon is hills and a vast majority of the roads and sidewalks are paved in small cobblestones. I can only imagine having to talk through all this in high heels!

IMG_3583.JPG

• Like 9

Kerry - how do you like the pain d'epices? We usually have it in the afternoon with black tea.

Also, could you please describe a little more the pastry for which you would like me to find a recipe?

I think I found what you want... but I am not 100% sure. Is it something like this?

IMG_3334.JPG

These ones are fancier than most version in regular bakeries but they are essentially an almond cake of some sort baked in the same shape as the custard tarts, without a real defined crust.

I can certainly start a new thread "Tales from my travels"... I hope it will interest you all. I will most likely start it when I get home because internet access is proving a little finicky at this hotel.

• Like 10

Well I didn't get to go to France or Spain or Portugal but look what came home to my house today.

image.jpg

Two bottles of the-impossible-to-get-in-North-America Taffel akvavit, Iberico and Serrano hams and olives.

image.jpg

And an amazing selection of chocolate and confections.

Yes, I do know how lucky I am.

Oh and the portraits. I want a hippopotamus for Christmas.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Glad to hear there is such a thing as a truly 'big' room (our last Paris room was big - in theory).

Food looks great - I should have called in sick and come with you.

I gave Jess a mission - to see if she could find a recipe for a Portuguese almond tart that I can't even properly describe. I can be cruel!

Kerry, I would suggest that you write to David Leite and ask him about the almond tart. He has reams of Portuguese recipes that he has yet to publish. We used to exchange recipes years ago, when I was more active and he was always extremely helpful.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Kerry, I would suggest that you write to David Leite and ask him about the almond tart. He has reams of Portuguese recipes that he has yet to publish. We used to exchange recipes years ago, when I was more active and he was always extremely helpful.

Thanks Andie.

Made it back to Paris, my flight was only delayed from the strike, not cancelled thankfully!

So yesterday late afternoon/evening, I went to the Mercado da Ribeira "TimeOut" (http://www.timeout.com/city-guides/time-out-mercado-da-ribeira-lisbon/).

This place is pretty neat, it not only comprises food producers but also "snapshot" restaurants by famous Portuguese chefs.

IMG_3602.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3604.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

I had dinner at Alexander Silva's (https://www.zomato.com/grande-lisboa/food-corner-chef-alexandre-silva-cais-do-sodr%C3%A9-lisboa); Risoto com Vieiras, with a glass of Quinta dos Termos Fonte Cal.

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3612.JPG

For dessert I bought what I thought were chocolates from Santini (http://www.santini.pt/). Turns out these were filled with sorbet!

IMG_3608.JPG

After dinner I took the Ascensor da Bica to then walk through Bairro Alto and Chiado, back to Baixa.

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

I went looking for the almond pastries and I think what I posted earlier was not it.

I posted little tartelets called Lamegos - here's another versio by Casa Suica (http://www.casasuica.pt/).

Photo 2015-04-30, 9 13 11 PM.jpg

Then I came across the Queijadas da Sintra, which would appear to fit better the crustless description; from Pastelaria Ferrari (https://www.zomato.com/grande-lisboa/pastelaria-ferrari-baixa-lisboa).

IMG_3628.JPG

Photo 2015-04-30, 9 12 46 PM.jpg

After walking around a bit more and purchasing mother's days gift for my mom and mom-in-law, I decided to call it a night.

Since I did not post my breakfast at the hotel, here it is from this morning, including the passion fruit juice.

Photo 2015-05-01, 8 36 53 AM.jpg

That is all I have to report for now, as I am back in Paris, preparing to come back home to Canada.

IMG_3625.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks so much, Jess and happy skies home to Canada.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So many new things - what fun exploration! Thank you, Jess, for continuing the saga.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown