• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 2)

Anna N

image.jpg

The other side of this bridge is our home away from home. Hooe you enjoyed the journey.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Indeed we are Shelby - tonight a Fogcutter - a whopping great belt of booze that doesn't taste like it!  After coming out of the thermomix I had to keep changing glasses until I got to the largest ones in the cupboard.

IMG_1455.jpg

Thunder outside - got home just in time!

• Like 2

I absolutely need that spatula for my delirious kitchen! :-D Thanks for the pictorial tour.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You guys had a long day!  Hopefully you're getting ready to enjoy a cocktail.

Yes. Taking everyone along proved to be a much greater challenge than anticipated. There were so many great views we wanted to share but when the view was spectacular there was no shoulder to safely pull off the highway. I wanted to show you the inukshuks but the only ones I got were on the shopping bags in Winkel's. The internet let me down so many times just as we were about to post. Still we had a fun day, re-stocked, bought some silly things and had some laughs. Who can ask more of life than that?

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Monty Cristo.  Interesting.  Unlike most folks I have encountered, I was raised on salted French toast and that's how I eat it, when I do.  But I don't know about this fully loaded version. 

Should I mention the ketsup I ate it with?

• Like 2

attachicon.gifDSCN3110.jpg

A batch of emmalish's chocolate coconut caramels.  One day perhaps I'll read through a recipe before making it and follow the directions such as 'sprinkle half the coconut on the parchment'.  Mine have all the, rather brown, coconut on the top.  

Forgive my ignorance (learning foodie here) but what is that tool I see in this post? I don't think I've seen it before. Thanks!  :smile:

The sky just keeps getting more and more interesting after the rain this afternoon.  We are really in a strange little microclimate here - you can see different weather on the other side of the channel frequently.

DSCN3114.jpg

DSCN3117.jpg

DSCN3119.jpg

• Like 4

I love the shot of your grocery bag, with the " extra old" cheese.... new way of saying aged I guess. Also Anna, I want to send you my granmother's banana bread recipe. if you'd be interested. we have always loved it.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Thanks to you Anna!  I have just tried out making my first mayo as you posted in the first part of this thread....

It was a big hit and turned out perfectly.    DH was impressed with my potato salad tonight and I owe it to you two and this awesome thread!  Love following your cooking exploits and happy to be challenged to try some new things that you post.    Love the photos posted, thanks for the tips.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifDSCN3112.jpg

In spite of a very brief (thank god) power failure - mussels provencal!

That looks really good. Unfortunately, the only mussels available here are frozen... but I can drool over the picture.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Up until 2 years ago all we could get here were frozen too - then we saw the vacuum packed ones at Costco - and shortly after that in more of the supermarkets.  They don't carry them on the island in any of the stores we've seen though.  The dates on these ones - packed on the 18th - shelf life until August 2.  Gotta think that would give them enough time to get some to your stores.  

What store chain(s) do you have available in Sioux Lookout?

Thanks to you Anna!  I have just tried out making my first mayo as you posted in the first part of this thread....

It was a big hit and turned out perfectly.    DH was impressed with my potato salad tonight and I owe it to you two and this awesome thread!  Love following your cooking exploits and happy to be challenged to try some new things that you post.    Love the photos posted, thanks for the tips.

You have made my day. So glad it worked for you.

My 2004 eG Blog

I love the shot of your grocery bag, with the " extra old" cheese.... new way of saying aged I guess. Also Anna, I want to send you my granmother's banana bread recipe. if you'd be interested. we have always loved it.

Rather surprised at your remark about the cheese. Perhaps it is a Canadian thing. Many of our cheddars are labelled "extra old". Some of the classier ones are labelled by year such as 5-year-old or 2-year old. Can you share your banana bread recipe with all of us?

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifDSCN3112.jpg

In spite of a very brief (thank god) power failure - mussels provencal!

Any mussel experts able to explain why these were so tiny? Each mussel was barely thumbnail size.

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Kerry bought some crumpets for the youngster and I just couldn't resist asking to share. So breakfast was a crumpet swimming in local butter and accompanied by a cup of President's Choice Sumatran coffee:

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

What store chain(s) do you have available in Sioux Lookout?

None. There's one grocery store and it's not a chain. It was an independent called "Johnny's" that was sold a few years ago and is now called "Family Fresh Foods". They have some sort of product ordering arrangement with a chain that means they stock the "Compliments" stuff as their house brand but are not directly affiliated with any chain grocery. The fresh seafood case isn't much larger than the average home chest freezer and shares part of that space with fresh sausages and bags of the fake crab. They have a somewhat decent selection of frozen fish and seafood but the only thing I've seen fresh on a regular basis that they assure me came to them that way are salmon and walleye. I'm pretty sure I've never eaten a frozen mussel, are they bad?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've used the frozen Highliner ones in paella when I've made it up here - they seemed pretty plump and nice to me.  But in those days I wasn't a big mussel eater.

Why don't you ask them if they can bring in one or two of the 907 gram vac packs for you?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

DSCN3122.jpg

Summer tart - fig edition!  Will take it out to Myra's when we go to pick black and red currents today - along with some of emmalish's caramels and perhaps some booze.

• Like 5