• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 2)

Anna N

Tonight's dinner prep begins. A "not really organic, free-range" chicken,salted, lemoned (a neo-verb) and resting uncovered in the fridge. It will be yet another test of the combi oven. Plan is to serve it with cauliflower and cheese sauce because we need to use up the cauliflower.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN3123.jpg

Home made Cynar.  Not as complex as the real thing - when I taste them side by each the real stuff has more vermouth flavours in it.  Next batch will get some additional herbs.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN3122.jpg

Summer tart - fig edition!  Will take it out to Myra's when we go to pick black and red currents today - along with some of emmalish's caramels and perhaps some booze.

FIG ENVY happening here.

• Like 1

I've used the frozen Highliner ones in paella when I've made it up here - they seemed pretty plump and nice to me.  But in those days I wasn't a big mussel eater.

Why don't you ask them if they can bring in one or two of the 907 gram vac packs for you?

I'll ask the next time I'm there. I've never asked them to special order anything since the new people took over but the selection available in general has improved significantly so we'll see how it goes. If not, I'm completely surrounded by lakes full of walleye... so fish provencal is an option. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

attachicon.gifDSCN3122.jpg

Summer tart - fig edition!  Will take it out to Myra's when we go to pick black and red currents today - along with some of emmalish's caramels and perhaps some booze.

That tart keeps appearing and tempting me. I think I'm going to make one with some of this years blueberries. I also seem to remember having a bag of cranberries in the freezer that might make a nice tart as well. I generally try to minimize my dessert consumption during the warm months but sometimes exceptions have to be made.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That tart keeps appearing and tempting me. I think I'm going to make one with some of this years blueberries. I also seem to remember having a bag of cranberries in the freezer that might make a nice tart as well. I generally try to minimize my dessert consumption during the warm months but sometimes exceptions have to be made.

My next one will be blueberry too - perhaps later today.

We have returned - a fruitful day away.

DSCN3124.jpg

Saw this little character on our way out - he was working on a bag of garbage on someones lawn in Aumdeck Omni Kaning (formerly the town of Sucker Creek).

DSCN3127.jpg

Stopped to get a picture of boats sailing along the north channel around Freer Point.

DSCN3129.jpg

Picking red currents with Myra.

DSCN3132.jpg

Some of Myra's animal life.  She and Pierre have sheep and ducks this year - as well as their two horses.  

DSCN3132.jpg

Hunger led us to Kagawong for lunch at the Main Street Cafe.  Chicken pot pie soup and a souvlaki wrap for Anna and a chicken club wrap for me.

DSCN3134.jpg

DSCN3136.jpg

Back home - going through our loot - some garlic, red and black currents.  

DSCN3137.jpg

DSCN3138.jpg

DSCN3139.jpg

Sitting on the couch with pots and bowls on our knees cleaning off the leaves and stalks.

• Like 5

FIG ENVY happening here.

Figs are not something that grows here (although one of the docs has a tree that he takes in every winter and this year is produced) - I got these in the grocery store in espanola - $1.99 for the box of 14 - I couldn't leave them - they must have been labelled wrong (like $1.99 each)!

Yup - was priced wrong - Loblaws has the cases on sale for $9.99 this week - score for me!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

Shelby,

You are more than welcome to my share of berry picking! I did none.

But I wasn't totally idle. I caught this liitle guy, Sniff, in a classic pose

image.jpg

His job is to guard the farm from intruders like us.

Took this at the place where we stopped for lunch

image.jpg

And here's the "baby cone" butter pecan ice cream we ordered, one for each of us. This was the smallest cone offered. It was delicious but I really struggled to finish mine. One can only imagine the size of a regular cone.

image.jpg

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

lemon in the cavity, not under the skin ?

( I could say tisk tisk, but I won't )

:biggrin:

I dunno, rotuts, sounds a bit challeging to get a whole lemon under the skin! I double checked and Marcella says "in the cavity". Incidentally this one is quartered almost all the way through.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, you have used the phrase "use up" a little too much.

Does this imply that the end is near?

"Use up" simply meant that it was not improving with age on this occasion. However, we can't stay up here forever. We will head home on Aug 4.

My 2004 eG Blog

Figs are not something that grows here (although one of the docs has a tree that he takes in every winter and this year is produced) - I got these in the grocery store in espanola - $1.99 for the box of 14 - I couldn't leave them - they must have been labelled wrong (like $1.99 each)!

Yup - was priced wrong - Loblaws has the cases on sale for $9.99 this week - score for me!

Nice score for sure.

At least you can get them there.  It must be too far and too hot to ship them to Kansas grocers.

"Use up" simply meant that it was not improving with age on this occasion. However, we can't stay up here forever. We will head home on Aug 4.

How about if we vote you in for another term?

• Like 2

"""   a bit challeging to get a whole lemon under the skin!  """

exactly right !

that's why we have 'bitz-ers'

although i have not done this yet myself,

waiting for 99 cent or even tastier  88 cent Cks

Some Say ......

what every your put in the cavity and on the skin

might    might   make for a tasty-er Ck under the skin

I cant know

as I have not done this yet

Edited by rotuts (log)

How about if we vote you in for another term?

Your vote means much to both of us. How about you check with our families and with Kerry's other employers and see how well they see this idea working first before we make the commitment?

My 2004 eG Blog

"""   a bit challeging to get a whole lemon under the skin!  """

exactly right !

that's why we have 'bitz-ers'

although i have not done this yet myself,

waiting for 99 cent or even tastier  88 cent Cks

Some Say ......

what every your put in the cavity and on the skin

might    might   make for a tasty-er Ck under the skin

I cant know

as I have not done this yet

Damn and I was going to ask you to make a demo video!

My 2004 eG Blog

Sniff in another classic pose - accepting the intruders!

IMG_1457.jpg

Tonights libation - Rafa's The Man Comes Around.  Not quite all the right ingredients - but quite satisfactory.

IMG_1461.jpg

• Like 3