• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2014 – 2016)

minas6907

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

Actually, I like the marbling on those very much!  I think the one at the top with little squiggles is especially fun and intriguing, but they all look great. If you really don't think these look good, feel free to send me the rejects.  :D

I absolutely agree. They look very classy to me.   

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Smithy said:

Actually, I like the marbling on those very much!  I think the one at the top with little squiggles is especially fun and intriguing, but they all look great. If you really don't think these look good, feel free to send me the rejects.  :D

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

I absolutely agree. They look very classy to me.   

Thanks! I tend to be my own worst critic even when I'm comfortable with what I'm doing and I'm not in the comfy zone yet with this stuff... but I'm having fun. The collective knowledge in these forums along with a lot of patience from Kerry is making it a lot easier going than it would probably be otherwise.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi Jim - thanks!  Yes, I used an airbrush for the blue ones, but later discovered that a gloved finger worked almost as well with this mold with much less clean-up, though you can clearly see the swirling in the non-speckled ones.  The mold is called "Polycarbonate Mini Egg, 32 cavities" from NYCAKE.  You can get it directly from them or they also sell it on Amazon.  I just took measurements of the bottom of the egg: from top to bottom it is 1 1/4", and from left to right at the widest point is 15/16ths.  Hope that helps!  :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pastryani said:

The mold is called "Polycarbonate Mini Egg, 32 cavities" from NYCAKE.  You can get it directly from them or they also sell it on Amazon.  I just took measurements of the bottom of the egg: from top to bottom it is 1 1/4", and from left to right at the widest point is 15/16ths.  Hope that helps!  :) 

Thanks! I know it wasn't me who asked but that's the type of mold I want to get for next year.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

pastryani - those speckled eggs are amazing! I'm stuck in my comfort zone of old fashioned chocolates - no colors at all! One day I'll branch out I hope. We had unexpected humidity last week (and then a snowstorm yesterday...!) so my coffee truffles were rolled in chocolate and not dipped! My caramel cashew clusters ended up in the fridge to cool down and ended up fine, I was worried they would bloom. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

turtles.jpg

truffles.jpg

• Like 12

On April 5, 2016 at 7:43 AM, rajoress said:

pastryani - those speckled eggs are amazing! I'm stuck in my comfort zone of old fashioned chocolates - no colors at all! One day I'll branch out I hope.

Thanks Ruth!  It's a lot of trial (and even more error haha), but that's how we learn, right?! ;)

And there's nothing wrong with "old-fashioned chocolates"!  Your goodies look yummy - the truffles with chocolate nonpareils remind me of rum balls that I used to eat as a kid. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that's a line of dark chocolate piped on, then spray red, then spray white, then cast in dark. You can see on a couple where the line chipped off a bit when I scraped the mould after I sprayed the red layer - half dark chocolate, half white.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keychris said:

that's a line of dark chocolate piped on, then spray red, then spray white, then cast in dark. You can see on a couple where the line chipped off a bit when I scraped the mould after I sprayed the red layer - half dark chocolate, half white.

Cool, thanks!  I've seen that a lot recently but your lines looked so neat I thought it had to be tape. 

Yes I noticed the half dark/half white and thought it was a very cool effect! :B

5 hours ago, keychris said:

Here's a better shot of the marble effect I achieved. I'm not sure if I'll do it again, it stressed me out too much :P

Nice. And I agree on the not sure I'll do it too frequently. With my amateur setup of equipment, trying to get all 3 chocolates melted, tempered and at working temp at the same time was a juggling act that I don't think will be repeated often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My latest from the Ecole Chocolat class.  They are actually shinier than they look in the picture.  I need better lighting!  

I feel like I'm learning a lot - but so much more to go.

This is a milk chocolate hazelnut gianduja in a milk chocolate shell.

Gianduja.jpg

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Peanut butter nougat and honey vanilla caramel with peanuts (sorta like a snickers). I made these to send to my dad for Father's Day/Birthday this weekend.  I used my usual caramel, and Greweling's peanut butter nougat, minus a lot of the molasses. Both his nougat and PB fudge has way too much, at least to me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 17

Oh, these are all so lovely!!!!  You're all keeping me inspired and excited to get started again.

The electricians come out on Monday and need to know the volts and amps of all the machinery and appliances...so I've had to go back through and find new toys again.

After looking at machines, and then looking at all these masterpieces----I think I'm feeling the happiness and excitement again. :D   Thank you all for posting pics of your lovely creations!!! 

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to @patris for sharing your marshmallow bars at the workshop in Toronto. This weekend I made two batches of marshmallow bars...

- vanilla marshmallow with peanut butter, chocolate and graham crackers

- cinnamon marshmallow with chocolate and graham crackers

IMG_4470-pbAndCinnamonMashmallowBars-lowres.jpg

• Like 7