• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

22D8A68C-17BD-48FC-BEF9-69E54FFF2810.thumb.jpeg.e9db121b6eb5a33088edfb4baa9a5a9a.jpeg

Paul Young’s Classic Brownies. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish I had a meeting to go to that featured

@Anna N 's  snacks

i bet the attendance is very high.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would call a meeting...if it meant those kinds of snacks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

"  The Media is the Message "

No No No

The Meeting is the Snacks

you betcha

• Haha 2

A bit early this week. I was sure that this was going to be a big fail and I would have to repeat it tomorrow. I wanted to make shortbread but was fairly certain that if I made it traditionally such as petticoat tails or bars I would end up with cookie crumbs and not much else as I tried to cut them apart. 

ButcI was sure I had made this lot some shortbread previously. Sure enough I did. But I made cookies. How sensible. But I was still on my failure path so did not pull back and say that all this could wait until tomorrow!  

B2043262-4FF0-414B-9CD8-F45F5115A0A9.thumb.jpeg.509686aba186ca1919cbf23b1fba3528.jpeg

090479F3-B09D-435A-8969-0837ABACA1BA.thumb.jpeg.41bf9fc76c2c7b8eab4a1eed639b8df3.jpeg

As you can see some are more brown than others. I was also trying to make use of two ovens today to cut down on the amount of time needed. I was using the Cuisinart steam oven along with the Breville smart oven. This posed more challenges than I had expected. I could not get them in synch so that the cookies were ready at the same time. 

43F695A8-77CA-4740-A8D0-05CD2AD5F053.thumb.jpeg.1ede3a31e5ac4fc2b3444e4dae6d8d77.jpeg

The extreme spreading of one cookie on the tray suggest to me that the mixing was not adequate. But I’m open to other suggestions.

I will let you know if any of the cookies get rejected. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/4/2019 at 4:43 AM, rotuts said:

"  The Media is the Message "

No No No

The Meeting is the Snacks

you betcha

At one point in my work life, each of our laboratory group meetings had 3 people assigned - one person was assigned "Research," and presented their own research project, a second person was assigned "Journal" and presented a recent relevant scientific publication and a third person was assigned "Trophic Factors"  aka snacks.  I think those titles make clear what drew us to those meetings 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I am calling these Nana Anna Bars. I have applied for trademark and copyright protection. 

I began with a base recipe frim Robin Hood Flour. (That is not entirely true. I began with the notion that I didn’t have the energy to stand and bake sheet after sheet of cookies in my BSO (Breville Smart Oven).  To the base recipe I added whatever inclusions were in my baking cupboard in quantities that would never be enough for a full recipe of anything. So in there is some very good chocolate, some not so great chocolate— Hershey’s chunks, and some butterscotch chips.

I read the recipe over and over again looking for some evidence that there was a leavener.  I did not find one. Perhaps I missed it. So I should not have been astonished at how skinny these turned out to be. 

6CA59FEF-E90A-4AD2-B2F9-0D3BF83AE2D3.thumb.jpeg.427b853b9aac490a1be1b9b5539297dd.jpeg

Base recipe.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2955EF28-6780-422E-B0E4-E606DFF712AE.thumb.jpeg.3aac3bd88ac89fdd5df13d7bd534f838.jpeg

just brownies to start off the new year. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

In my opinion, "just brownies" is an oxymoron. Those look delicious, and I'd be very pleased to see a plate of those at a meeting I was to attend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I was thinking along the lines of "Justify Brownies".  That means I can and will justify any means I may take in order to grab some of them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

CD6BD41E-B4D6-4FCB-81ED-87AB6439E778.thumb.jpeg.3218c660af7082ee5948e463e3004e8e.jpeg

Something just a little different today. @Kerry Beal send me a recipe for Dorie Greenspan‘s Swedish visiting cake. It looked promising but not particularly easy to portion out for as many people as I seem to be feeding . So I went on a Google search and found a recipe for Dorie Greenspan‘s Swedish visiting cake bars!  Much better. 

This is the way most of the snacks are packaged to make there way to son-in-law’s office:

D336EC43-84CA-43F4-9115-8A19FC3C4984.thumb.jpeg.96b2f7b12fc702dc687f30e13d635db3.jpeg

Edited by Anna N Typo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog