• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction-Friendly Complete Pan Selection

Deephaven

Would love input on my shopping list.  Remodeling the house and my beloved Bluestar and Copper Mauviels aren’t part of the plan.

xwZ6HK5.jpg

Basically starting from scratch pan wise outside of some oblique pieces I am not replacing.  For the ones I am replacing my current shopping list is below.  Would love input on if there is something else that would be of benefit to replace/upgrade these with.  I've searched the forum and while there are topics on pans, none of them seem to be focused on induction and choosing overall the pieces that will be used.  I am definitely willing to budget more if there is a gain, but would like a well rounded list.  It pans me to replace my copper, but the time has come.

Some great info on copper pans here: Some great info on copper cookware here: 

Which led me to the Falk which you will see below.

As for pan technologies this is also a great read

Either way, for this thread we are a family of 4, rather large eaters and we make pretty much food from every part of the world.  Induction is new to us and I'd like to make the right decision the first time through.  Here are what we are contemplating first in pictures and then my Excel summary.

Frying pans:

General purpose Falk Copper in 28 & 32cm

copper-core-28cm-copper-frying-pan.jpg

High heat searing Demeyere Proline 32cm

Demeyere+Atlantis+Proline+Stainless+Stee

High heat not worry about it pan Madein Carbon

b742068d67305998c898997a25854f7e5eb7ab9f

Sauce/Saucier:

Generally looking at only Saucier as I don’t know what I’d need a sauce pan in addition?

Falk 18, 24, 28

copper-core-24cm-copper-saucier-pan.jpg

Butter warmer

Made in .75 Quart

2bfff3aaa60e3b69cf7c1961c0992ab7151b9299

Griddle & Wok

Madein

I’ve tested this griddle, but have no idea on the wok.  The griddle worked great on the Wolf induction range I am getting so I figure it is logical

86ecbc06fcf192e89c39d334ad9d1b0f4f3b2143

81086d02363a357d0273cd3695b021c066624785

Stock pot/Dutch Oven

Cuisinart 12qt and LeCreuset 7.5qt

mcp6628n_sd_silo.jpg

General questions:

·       I hadn’t planned lids that match as I tend to prefer silicon lids that are more universal.  Butter warmer is the exception, am I nuts?

·       Is the 11.5“/29cm diameter stock pot logical or something narrower and taller?

·       7.25qt/liter LeCreuset the right size for a family of 4?  Staub or another choice more logical?

·       I have both a 28cm Saute and Saucier...are these redundant?  Should I instead get a smaller Saucier?

·       Being the Saute is a bottom only cooking vessel should I go with the Demeyere instead? ... or possibly a Fissler?

And my shopping/pricing list.  I am going to Europe here in November and being the prices of Falk/Demeyere are much better there plan to purchase then.  As a pre-shopping I had planned to order the try me Falk pan now.

p3LA8R0.png

Feel free to point out anything negative, positive or nuts.  I have some time, but would like to prepare for my trip.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The wok seems small to me for a family of four. I live alone and one of my woks is 32cm which is just big enought for me.

I also have a 32 cm wok and agree that most people would recommend a larger one for a family of 4.  However, with an induction cooktop, you don't get as much heat transfer up the sides of the wok as you can get with a gas burner so some people suggest cooking meals in multiple batches instead of letting everything get steamed.  In that case, a smaller wok could work.  Though if I used a wok a lot for a family, I'd get the bigger wok and a separate wok burner. 

• Like 3

I wasn't sure wok wise what could work on the induction.  If I get my way I will have something like this outside for real wok cooking

2273202.jpg

...but there will be time I need to do things in batches inside.  Will shop for a bigger one for in the house as even if it is bigger I don't have to cook any more.  Tossing in 12 would be interesting, completely missed that.

Are there pans you would choose over those Falk's for any application?

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also have a 32 cm wok and agree that most people would recommend a larger one for a family of 4.  However, with an induction cooktop, you don't get as much heat transfer up the sides of the wok as you can get with a gas burner so some people suggest cooking meals in multiple batches instead of letting everything get steamed.  In that case, a smaller wok could work.  Though if I used a wok a lot for a family, I'd get the bigger wok and a separate wok burner. 

Well yes, but I wouldn't / couldn't get a wok burner. No one in China uses them domestically. We do use stand-alone induction units like this for hot pots etc, but it deals with stir fries just fine when ocassionally needed. Otherwise, domestic gas cookers are used. More on this here.

acd01f37225f9a84.thumb.png.f46c03f5a9e1684c19c75191aaf1ce01.png

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well yes, but I wouldn't / couldn't get a wok burner. No one in China uses them domestically. We do use stand-alone induction units like this for hot pots etc, but it deals with stir fries just fine when ocassionally needed. Otherwise, domestic gas cookers are used. More on this here.

Yes, I shouldn't have written "wok burner" when what I had in mind was something simpler like this Iwatani butane burner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Not that there's anything wrong with a wok burner if that's what someone's set on. They do look pretty dramatic.  It's just too scary and would be overkill for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

what I had in mind was something simpler like this Iwatani butane burner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Yes, these are also available here, but have largely been superseded by the induction type of model above. Cleaner and safer when used on the family dinner table.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The wok burner I linked is cheaper than any side burner for a grill $550. Figured it was two fold use.  I also make maple syrup and process my own animals making bulk stock so a large outdoor burner is logical.  Any other simple side can be done in a wok instead of a pan.  I had read liuzhou's link before and probably should have clarified why I wanted a wok burner outside.

Glad you all caught that it was only a 12" from Madein though as I just don't contemplate woks in diameter very well.  I have a 38cm one from a chinese grocery store I use in the blue star all the time and would hate tossing things in the little 30 for our family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 11:43 AM, Deephaven said:

Are there pans you would choose over those Falk's for any application?

Just in case you're still shopping...

Falk asked me to evaluate Coer when it first came out.  I was comped the skillet you pictured above.  It's been in service for a couple years now.  This triply is marginally thinner than the "regular" bimetal, by virtue of Falk having to make room within its existing tooling to accommodate three layers instead of two--the copper got thinned.  So, consequently, Coer is not quite as even and substantially less downwardly responsive that the bimetal lines.  It's also practically as heavy.  What I did not appreciate until after I reviewed Coer is that the exteriors, which allow the line to "work" on induction, are somewhat prone to pitting and discoloration.  It's not a terrible problem, but a neat freak who wants to hang the pans might be disappointed.  I would certainly NOT run them through a DW.   It's still very good cookware, but I think you'll find Coer on induction to be noticeably less even than your bimetal on gas.

I'd also encourage you to pick the Demeyere plancha/teppanyaki over any other.

Edited by Laurentius (log)
  • Thanks 1

Still shopping.  As for the copper, I've had it all for more than 20 years.  It owes me nothing.  I've loved it, but also am ridiculously sick of the heat and oil splatter due to the gas.  I tested out a wolf induction and it did something's even better than my bluestar.

I ordered up the try me size falk.  It landed yesterday.  Boiled water on my El cheapo induction burner and boiled water in the equivalent copper pan on the stove.  Upon removing the pan from the heat the falk unboiled 3* faster than the bimetal.  To be fair this was a test of the blue star and copper vs induction and falk.  I am sure that the flames kissed up the sides of the copper heat soaking it more than the falk, but it was a test not a conclusive one.  Open to others. 

My shopping will be completed in Nov when I am next in Europe.  Trying to make sure I know what I want before I go so I can preorder it to a friends house.

Will look at the demeyere teppanyaki right now...m

12 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Demeyere plancha was sadly discontinued in 2018.  There is some odd European website selling them but otherwise none available. ☹️

I believe the Demeyere searing pan, which I have, is still available.  I recommend it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I believe the Demeyere searing pan, which I have, is still available.  I recommend it.

Was planning on one of those as well on my next trip.  Have to balance the weight/import duties and hassle of bringing it all home at once.  The remodel won't be done until January and I'll be back in Europe by March so it won't be that long of a wait.

• Like 1

This morning I ran them both with 650g of water on the gas range.  Came to boil within a second of each other and pulling the rolling boil off the heat they both stopped bubbling in 3.75-4.25 seconds and the margin of error from my lovely stop watching tells me they are fundamentally the same.

To be fair again one is a sauce pan and the other the saucier, but I grabbed two with equivalent volume capabilities as well as equivalent masses (within 50g of each other).  I also do not care about boiling water speed as that wasn't my purpose in playing, but I wanted to see how well the pan reacted to a temperature change.  Considering it is really hard to accurately measure temperature up taking the pan completely off the burner and watching the boiling subside was what I chose to do.  So far I like what I see.

11 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Demeyere plancha was sadly discontinued in 2018. 

I believe Berondi has both sizes.  https://berondi.com/demeyere-cookware/demeyere-pans/demeyere-teppanyaki-plancha.html

The Coer pitting issue doesn't bother you?

Comparing downward responsiveness is somewhat fraught.  If you plot the 10C temperature drops in, say 1L liquid volume, the bimetal should win by a noticeable margin.  If it's s stockpot in an icebath, even more.  

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

My IR thermometer doesn't read right on bare stainless

Even if you had a $$ IR gun with adjustable emissivity, if you want good data, contact and immersion probes are mobettahs.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm transitioning to induction as well, and have to replace several pots and pans. Probably my biggest immediate need will be a frying pan. I've been debating between All Clad (D3) and MadeIn, but am curious about the Demeyere as well. Any thoughts on what you would do if you could only get a single frying pan (to start with!)?

2 hours ago, Wampa said:

I've been debating between All Clad (D3) and MadeIn, but am curious about the Demeyere as well

If evenness is important to you (and it should be with induction), IMO you will not be happy with either A-C or Made In.  You should focus on thicker aluminum bases, like those under Demeyere Proline, Fissler Original Profi, Paderno Grand Gourmet, Cristel Castelane, or Ballarini.  Or thicker (than A-C Copper Core) copper cores, as in Falk Coer or DeBuyer Prima Matera.

If you are strong, Coer and Proline would be my picks for a single fry pan.  They are expensive, but worth it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 10:54 PM, Laurentius said:

If evenness is important to you (and it should be with induction), IMO you will not be happy with either A-C or Made In.  You should focus on thicker aluminum bases, like those under Demeyere Proline, Fissler Original Profi, Paderno Grand Gourmet, Cristel Castelane, or Ballarini.  Or thicker (than A-C Copper Core) copper cores, as in Falk Coer or DeBuyer Prima Matera.

If you are strong, Coer and Proline would be my picks for a single fry pan.  They are expensive, but worth it.

@Laurentius I ended up getting a Proline. Worth every penny so far! Thanks!

• Like 1