• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

imho, there is no difference.

hot pan, some oil, (de-stemed) spinach into pan, splash of water for stem . . . cover . . .

in 60-120 seconds, it's "done"

"wilted" (to me . . . ) would imply spinach leaves deprived of water as 'a plant'

spinach leaves subjected to rapid moist (aka steamed) cooking is 'da bombe'

many other "issues" with descriptions and "terms" as it applies to such an-in-a-heartbeat cooking of  leafy greens.....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

spinach leaves subjected to rapid moist (aka steamed) cooking is 'da bombe'

Which is why I do it  with no oil. It steams in its own juices (and perhaps a little residual water from washing it) preserving more of the flavour.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

37 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I would say the difference is 'time and oil/fat'. Wilted is heated (without oil) for the briefest of time, just until it becomes limp but still essentially uncooked. Sautéed spinach is cooked in oil beyond that. I much prefer the former as it tastes fresher to me.

Thank you.

Success! Thanks again.

Edited by billyhill (log)
  • Like 1

I have some swordfish steaks that are about 1/2 inch think.  I have never cooked nor eaten swordfish.  What is the best way to cook this?  Sous vide?  Pan fry?  Bake?  Chowder?  Any recipe suggestions?

• Like 1

@ElsieD

lucky you.

Id say pan fry., and possibly deglaze  the pan if you want a sauce 

if the steaks have that dark flesh , dont cut that out.

SF is a very firm fish , and needs more cooking time than

say salmon , which is very fine cooked rare in the center.

Id get your pan hot , so you hear a good sizzle when the fish hits the pan 

turn when you get some browning , and remove when you get similar browning on the other side.

can't give you timing , the pan will

the down side to this method indoors , is your kitchen will; have fishy aromas for sometime .

no mater how fresh the fish.

broiling might be another method , maybe less fishy aromas.

but still significant.

in chowder SF is outstanding , w little aromas while cooking.

for chowder 

take a look at this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ0nsLID5nI

if you like chowder , NE or other versions 

just sub chunks of SF in the above.

it will take longer to cook vs Cod.

very very nice firm fish for chowder 

very little aroma that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

of course 

the best way to cook SF is to cut in to 1 1/2 chunks .

wrap in supermarket regular cut sliced bacon , w a tooth pick

and grill outside on a very hot grill

managing the flare ups 

until nicely browned on each side , 

then dip in garlic butter .  butter gently melted and simmered w fresh garlic

passed through a garlic press .

• Like 1
  • Delicious 3

@rotuts. Thank you.  I watched the video (but not the lobster part) so I'm thinking chowder.  I'm in a condo, and grilling outside is verboten.  How fishy smelling is swordfish?

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

How fishy smelling is swordfish?

Generally speaking, any fish that is "fishy smelling" is old and turning. Fresh fish should smell of the sea. While I've never cooked swordfish, I have eaten it.

• Like 1

@ElsieD

SF is more oily than say , a flat fish 

but not the oiliest around

n a hot pan , hot enough to get you the tasty browning 

you will notice the fishy smell , esp after cooing.

you are just vaporizing the oils.   

SF is not a usual candidate for chowder , but works well in a good chowder

make sure it simmers longer than say a cod.  undercooked SF is tough .

• Like 1

The best way to cook swordfish is outdoors on the grill, it is very firm and meaty - like tuna. Not oily like salmon. I cut out the dark red/brown flesh after cooking, it is strongly flavored. You could also try Sicilian braised swordfish, which cooks in tomato sauce and is a nice way to cook indoors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  Since my steaks are only 1/2" thick, I presume I would just cut back on the cooking time?  Maybe 2 minutes per side?

sure - but you  might want to cut into one of the steaks to see that it's cooked all the way through. Rare swordfish is not great, though it can always be reheated in the pan sauce.

• Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Tonight I made chowder minus the potatoes (I live with someone who dislikes plain spuds) and used one of the swordfish steaks which I cut up into cubes about 3/4".  They went into the soup after the cream was added and so were in there long enough to cook them.  To be sure, I cut one in half.  Served up with some mini naans which I baked in my new pizza oven at 800F.  We discovered we don't care for swordfish so no swordfish piccata for us.  I will make it at some point with a different fish as the recipe looks good.  Even the cat, who loves fish, scallops and shrimp turned his nose up at the swordfish.

20240103_185658.jpg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Served up with some mini naans which I baked in my new pizza oven at 800F. 

How were the mini naans?

As to the swordfish, it really needs to be super fresh. But still, not for everyone.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@rotuts he is a very different sort of cat.

@weinoo we liked the mini naans.  I had cooked up 2 thin ones as that is what the recipe said to do, but then I decided to make a couple of minis and left them a bit thicker.  We preferred them to the thin ones but we are no experts when it comes to naan.  But they were good - especially warm from the pizza oven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I will make it at some point with a different fish as the recipe looks good.  Even the cat, who loves fish, scallops and shrimp turned his nose up at the swordfish.

I told you it wasn't fresh!  😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Both swordfish and shark top the high mercury list along with other big predators like tuna, mackerel and marlin  Swordfish are also prone to parasitic worms so if you see it on a menu at a sushi restaurant....just don't.

Not exactly on topic, but concerning shark, many species of which are endangered, which is one more reason to avoid eating them, I just saw an article about how the Chinese are now getting around the anti-finning laws. They simply take the whole shark instead of just the fin. So I assume that the folks who supply the fin market are eating a lot of shark. 

Back to swordfish. It's been so long since I've eaten swordfish or shark I can't remember what either tastes like. If it's true that shark can be sold as swordfish because of taste or texture or just because consumers don't know the difference, then best to avoid anything called swordfish. Yech, what a mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I just saw an article about how the Chinese are now getting around the anti-finning laws. They simply take the whole shark instead of just the fin. So I assume that the folks who supply the fin market are eating a lot of shark. 

True (I've seen similar reports), but the legal shark fin market is in sharp declne. President Xi banned it from all official entertainment (where most fin was eaten) both nationally and at local level. Also, a growing public awareness of the horrific harvesting methds has had an effect.

Yes, there will still be black market supplies, but they too have been curtailed. How far new attitudes will take things, remains to be seen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How would one know?

If it is skin on, the sandpaper like texture gives it away. I have been sold shark at least twice. Shark frequently has an ammonia wang to it as well, even if handled properly.

I am hoping my brother comes through, he has been having a lot of success fishing for swords off north Florida. 

Edited by billyhill
Additional information (log)
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Both swordfish and shark top the high mercury list along with other big predators like tuna, mackerel and marlin  Swordfish are also prone to parasitic worms so if you see it on a menu at a sushi restaurant....just don't.

Not exactly on topic, but concerning shark, many species of which are endangered, which is one more reason to avoid eating them, I just saw an article about how the Chinese are now getting around the anti-finning laws. They simply take the whole shark instead of just the fin. So I assume that the folks who supply the fin market are eating a lot of shark. 

Back to swordfish. It's been so long since I've eaten swordfish or shark I can't remember what either tastes like. If it's true that shark can be sold as swordfish because of taste or texture or just because consumers don't know the difference, then best to avoid anything called swordfish. Yech, what a mess.

Although most, if not all, sushi fish are , by law, frozen before consumption.  Takes care of swordfish worms.

• Thanks 1