• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Can I use the sous vide (currently running at 127ºF) to defrost a bag of artichoke hearts (in a hurry) ?

I'd do them at whatever you are running at or about 60 C like my chicken breasts. Look at it this way: Doing SV veg you use a lot hotter temperatures to cook them so there shouldn't be any major effect at lower temps.

• Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I did the artichokes at about 250ºF for a while, then I put @ElainaA's (defrosted) slow cooked cherry tomatoes and garlic on it for another little while. Some of the edges of the artichoke hearts were papery (so unpleasant to chew). Am not sure whether I'd had the frozen stuff too long.

Will try again and report back.

56 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Today I have a Rohan duck from d'Artagnan. There are tips of feathers stuck in the breast. Is there a fast way to get rid of those pokey bits?

You can take a good tweezer and pull them out or take a kitchen torch and burn them out. Just take care you don't char the skin.

I’ve used the corn on its husk method via the microwave. Corn isn’t in season here but I have a few dishes that call for it. The corn that is available it mostly husked. Has anyone tried to use the microwave method with mostly husked corn? 

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’ve used the corn on its husk method via the microwave. Corn isn’t in season here but I have a few dishes that call for it. The corn that is available it mostly husked. Has anyone tried to use the microwave method with mostly husked corn? 

I’ve never quite understood why markets offer partially husked corn. Is it so that customers can see that third or so of the kernels to know it’s good looking?  Or do they do it to cut down on those who insist on pulling part of the full husk down to check it?  

My guess is that wrapping the partially husked ears in paper towel for microwaving would be just fine, but might mean less flavor imparted from the husk. Any first-hand experience with that?

• 2 weeks later...

When do I call it quits on this?

I found a bag of dry giant Spanish white beans I brought home in 2018.  

I did a quickie 3 hour soak in water, then rinsed and put in pot with broth.  

Been simmering for 3 hours now.  They are slightly softer than when I began, but still very very toothy. 

Can you keep dry beans too long?  Am I wasting my time??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

btw, a three hours soak is not 'a thing' - try overnight.

It is, if boiling water is used. I'm guessing that's what gulfporter did.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

8 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

btw, a three hours soak is not 'a thing' - try overnight.

Yeah, I know, that's why I called it a quickie.  Spur of the moment and absurdly stupid rookie error on my part.

I'll keep a-simmering, but in 90 minutes mi esposo's hunger pangs kick into high gear 😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alex said:

It is, if boiling water is used. I'm guessing that's what gulfporter did.

Hot, not quite boiling.  Things not working out for me today....I dropped a 30+ year old Pyrex measuring cup....a gazillion shards after it hit the tiles.  

• Sad 7

22 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

It depends on how much time you have. The dry white beans that I get here in Costa Rica are not a big so there isn't a big turnover. I've started making them in my oven. I put them in a glass casserole dish and I use a three to one ratio. Three cups of boiling water to 1 cup of dry beans. I put in about 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of chopped celery. Put the whole thing in the oven at 250° to 300° and they cook anywhere from 2 hours to 3 hours. You just have to be patient. You might be able to put your beans in the oven at 300° and just keep checking them at half hour intervals. When they seem like they are close to being done go to 15 minutes. Just make sure that they have enough liquid to cover them well. You don't want too much liquid because that retards the cooking of the beans.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

When do I call it quits on this?

I found a bag of dry giant Spanish white beans I brought home in 2018.  

I did a quickie 3 hour soak in water, then rinsed and put in pot with broth.  

Been simmering for 3 hours now.  They are slightly softer than when I began, but still very very toothy. 

In my experience, the older they are, the longer they take to cook. Big beans, even more. 

I dunno how much time you have or how important it is not to waste your time vs the beans but there is likely hope for the them. Today, I cooked a pot of rather vintage Rancho Gordo scarlet runner beans for longer than I've ever cooked a bean but they got there. Also a bigger bean and one with a reputation for long cook times. I soaked them overnight, gave them a good 10 min boil on the stovetop, then put them in the oven. I was shocked how crunchy they were after 2 hrs and 3. Four hours was an improvement. Six hrs and they're pretty good.
Either keep going, pull them out and re-start tomorrow, dump them in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot or just dump them if you don’t have the time/patience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is the difference in cooking methods between wilted and sauteed spinach? Google gave no clear answer and left me wondering if they are the same.

If anyone wants to impart some cooking advice for spinach, I would be appreciative.

9 minutes ago, billyhill said:

What is the difference in cooking methods between wilted and sauteed spinach? Google gave no clear answer and left me wondering if they are the same.

If anyone wants to impart some cooking advice for spinach, I would be appreciative.

I would say the difference is 'time and oil/fat'. Wilted is heated (without oil) for the briefest of time, just until it becomes limp but still essentially uncooked. Sautéed spinach is cooked in oil beyond that. I much prefer the former as it tastes fresher to me.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto