• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'd never heard of Tate's cookies and that link wasn't very informative but I was at Aldi this morning and spotted these:

IMG_4043.thumb.jpeg.57d16b0b886c79df105c0c72bd07bdd1.jpeg

Clearly, not on sale!

I forgot to mention: I like all Tate's EXCEPT PUMPKIN SPICE. As a  matter of fact, anything to do with pumpkin spice, other than pumpkin pie, can kiss my patoot!

Wow - I really screwed that link up!!! Try...https://www.tatesbakeshop.com/ instead.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

.... anything to do with pumpkin spice, other than pumpkin pie, can kiss my xxxxxx!

Yo, bro!   Include those shops who pollute their space with pumpkin/gingerbread potpourri.    Kind of excludes us from October through December.   

eGullet member #80.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I actually love the cookies at Chick-fil-A! They're basically an oatmeal/chocolate chip cookie and they are delicious.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I bought a box of the Goya Maria cookies - suggested by Google as an alternative to my beloved Social Teas.  After my first taste I thought, "no way".  But they are growing on me.  They are less dense than the Social Teas, but have a similar bland, low sugar, plainness that I love 😄.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I bought a box of the Goya Maria cookies - suggested by Google as an alternative to my beloved Social Teas.  After my first taste I thought, "no way".  But they are growing on me.  They are less dense than the Social Teas, but have a similar bland, low sugar, plainness that I love 😄.  

Have you ever tried Kedem tea biscuits?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Have you ever tried Kedem tea biscuits?

I like them. The perect hardness, low sugar, just right with a warm beverage. In my markets they are stocked in the Jewish/kosher section. Cheap too. 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

We still go through an embarrassing volume the Grand Galettes in our house (thank you Costco), but got to talking about peanut butter cookies.  I was searching for European brand peanut butter cookies (not wafers, not sandwich) and can't seem to find a commercial brand that makes them.  Are peanut butter cookies not a thing in European baking?

I'd love to try a peanut butter sable cookie, but I don't want to bake it.

16 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

We still go through an embarrassing volume the Grand Galettes in our house (thank you Costco), but got to talking about peanut butter cookies.  I was searching for European brand peanut butter cookies (not wafers, not sandwich) and can't seem to find a commercial brand that makes them.  Are peanut butter cookies not a thing in European baking?

I'd love to try a peanut butter sable cookie, but I don't want to bake it.

I will respond for France. Peanut butter is very foreign to us. The closest equivalent is Nutella which we all grew up on and love, but you won’t find peanut butter in French households or in French baked goods. It is a very American ingredient.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1