• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smashing garlic - effect on knife

aster

I apologize if this seems like a dumb question, but I haven't seen an answer for it anywhere. I have been smashing my garlic with the side of my chef's knife blade for as long as I can remember. Recently I bought a more expensive chef's knife and I found myself wondering if I was causing any harm to it by using it this way. I mean, it causes quite a lot of force against the blade in one direction-- wouldn't that contribute to bending or warping?

Doubtful. I've been doing the same thing for decades using forged Wusthof knives and stamped Victorinox knives. Those knives are just fine after all these years.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

First, I assume you are not talking about ceramic knives.

In rare situations, damage can happen to high carbon steel or high carbon stainless steel knives.

Good quality knives tend to be hardened to the maximum which creates a great deal of internal metal stress, some even can crack and warp at this stage. A knife maker can tell you that this is not unusual. After hardening the knives are tempered to relief some the the stresses, but some of the stress will remain, especially specific tempering temperature and time are not followed based on the particular metal.

In another food forum I have seen members' posts of their knives cracking after strong impact.

dcarch

I can easily bust up a head of garlic with my hand, but that doesn't work so well when attempting to effectively crush a clove.

In this video, Jacques certainly doesn't baby the knife.......

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/10/18/dining/100000001119564/jacques-pepin-how-to-chop-garlic.html

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I don't think jacques is too concerned with the knives he uses these days. When you get new ones for just about every show from your sponsors you can do things like this without really caring.

http://youtu.be/ORBdSog-ecM?t=13m8s

I shuddered when I first saw him cutting that tarte tatin on the plate with that shun .

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Knives are tools. You take care of them but you use them (with common sense) for the jobs you need them for. I've never had a knife damaged by using it to crush garlic (It's not like you have to whack on a clove of garlic like you're using a hammer to crush it) but, if it did happen, I would just buy a new knife and still do whatever I needed it to do.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's not so much the crushing that can damage a knife, it's making the garlic paste. You know when you use the tip and some salt to grind the garlic clove against the chopping board. The blade will flex and eventually warp. Especially if you use thin Japanese style blades. It's easy enough to fix though just rest the warped blade on the chopping board, put your hand flat on the blade, hang the handle off the end and gently push the handle up or down to straighten the blade.

Though nowadays I never use my Japanese blades in this application. Chinese cleaver all the way, the big blunt front edge can make lots of garlic paste in one go..

My first impression is simply this: why are you not using your dedicated wooden mortar and pestle for this?

And my second was: it's not going to hurt the knife to crush garlic - garlic is much much weaker than steel, and you're not using the knife like a hammer (well, I hope you aren't), you're using it on the flat to smoosh a fairly soft item into an even softer state.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I use a garlic press, but I doubt you will harm your knife. Whether you cut yourself this way is another question.

I use a garlic press as well. My friend recommended that I buy one, but I resisted the idea for years. Eventually he just bought one and gave it to me - now i'm a convert! After that I went out and bought all the presses that I didn't own before (potato masher, citrus press).
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I always snap garlic presses. A knife side is perfect but like Prawncrackers I don't use my Damascus patterned Japanese knives for this task. Chinese cleavers or European knives are perfect and are not damaged at all.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I keep this flea market cutie on the counter and use for garlic, peppercorns and other spices, herbs and citrus zests - the list goes on. It is good for a small quantity, just needs a rinse, and as noted - it is cute. I am way too much of a klutz to use the knife smash method.

006 (2).JPG

In another food forum I have seen members' posts of their knives cracking after strong impact.

dcarch

Come on - how hard do you have to smack a clove of garlic to crush it?

I had a 12” Sujihiki I made from 1095 high carbon steel. I guess I must had been too aggressive in heat treating and hardening and did not anneal/temper properly, one day as I was filleting salmon, I heard a “pop”. A ½” crack happened a few inches from the tip. So I bent the damaged tip off and made the knife into kind of like a santoku.

I still need a long knife for sushi, so I am making a 13” blade Yanagi. I am using D-2 steel. This time I am not going to take a chance. I sent the blade to a place to have it professionally hardened and cryo tempered.

As I said, any knife maker can tell you how metal can crack, even spontaneously.

dcarch

knifes.jpg

I had a 12” Sujihiki I made from 1095 high carbon steel.

You made?? I'm fascinated ... would you be able to start another thread on making knives?
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Here is the press that I use:

Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press

I've had the Kuhn Rikon for five years. I like garlic. I don't wash the Kuhn Rikon, I don't put it away. Not likely to snap any time soon.

If I want garlic really mushed, say for pesto, that's when I use a mortar.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had a 12” Sujihiki I made from 1095 high carbon steel.

You made?? I'm fascinated ... would you be able to start another thread on making knives?

That would be a very boring thread. You see, I am not an aesthetic knife maker, I am a functional knife maker. Get it done quick, get it done cheap and get it done very sharp.

I am not making show-off knives at this point. I make them because I hate to have to spend a few thousand dollars for a set of real sharp knives.

Sushi making is all about sharpest knives, otherwise you are just making raw fish.

Cold smoked salmon gets messed up without a long sharp blade.

And cutting prosciutto !!!

dcarch