• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smashing garlic - effect on knife

aster

I don't wash the Kuhn Rikon

Why not?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

if garlic breaks your knife sue the maker. Not gonna happen unless you hammer it like you're trying to make horseshoes out of it. I never use my garlic press anymore, too much waste. Smash lightly, remove skin, smash again, cut. Takes what, 30 sec? Been doing that for a good 20 years with my old knives, they sure did not bend or break or crumble, nor would I expect them to do so.

go for it!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I keep this flea market cutie on the counter and use for garlic, peppercorns and other spices, herbs and citrus zests - the list goes on. It is good for a small quantity, just needs a rinse, and as noted - it is cute. I am way too much of a klutz to use the knife smash method.

attachicon.gif006 (2).JPG

Why have I never connected have a mortar and pestle with smashing up garlic. Thank you.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I don't wash the Kuhn Rikon

Why not?

I'm lazy and it doesn't need it. I used to run it through the dishwasher occasionally, but then I sometimes didn't have it ready when I wanted to use it.

I do rinse after use.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I hate garlic presses mainly because it's just one more thing to wash up, and also because I feel that pressed/squished garlic tastes much more harsher than chopped or grated. In any case I've been giving my Victorinox and Henckels knives grief for years. I've broken off a few tips, but never a blade.

On a curious but somewhat related side note, I have been combing through old (ca. 1840) "recipie books", the kind that gives recipies for the best soap, how to get out grease stains, wallpaper cleaning paste etc. In any case, prior to WW1 all glues were animal hide based (well, not fish glue, but I digress) Some of the "recipies" that entail glueing brass or steel to other materials instruct the reader to rub a clove of fresh cut garlic on the metal part prior to glueing. This was not meant to clean the metal but rather to "etch" it, to give the surface some tooth for the glue to grip better. Interesting..............

Some wild recipies in there about making glue to repair porcelain, china, and glass as well..................

Pressed/squished is supposed to be harsher than chopped (McGee pp 310-311). It depends on what flavor one is after. I often thinly slice garlic or leave it whole. Grating garlic I do not do.

Pressed garlic tossed with fresh quartered tomatoes and a little kosher salt...yum!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

heck this out: http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=52305&cat=2,40733,44734

If you'll follow the link you'll find a cute little dumpy Mortar & Pestle, made from green granite (?) or maybe marble. The pestle is wide, to keep spices in the mortar, so they won't jump out on your counter. Works like a charm!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Not to hijack the thread, but with pestles, you can take a cue from the Chinese medicine/herb shops. There is usually a giant brass mortar & pestle in the corner, the pestle has two leather or vinyl discs threaded on it to keep herbs/etc. from jumping out of the mortar.