• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

I've been collecting cookbooks for quite a while. Most of them stayed packed in boxes after we moved from California to Missouri due to space limitations. I am trying to downsize so we can move to an even smaller place, so began pulling in the boxes a year or so ago. I've already got several boxes of them I won't keep, my sister has taken a few and a friend took a few others. I'll get there eventually.

Earlier this year, I started pulling one each morning and posting photos on my Facebook page. I have a few friends who have been fascinated in seeing some of the really old ones and it has been fun for me, too. I'd forgotten about so many of them! I wish I'd started on Jan. 1, because that would have been a good way to count how many there are. I've still got quite a few to go.

And, bless her heart, an online friend needed to downsize, so she sent me two big boxes of cookbooks. Yikes! I know she means well, but I will likely be getting rid of most of them, as I just don't have space for all of them anymore. Not to mention that I'm always buying new cookbooks that come out thanks to some of you here with your posts about them (Vivian Howard's books!) and some of the other food groups I belong to. 

I love my cookbooks. I hate my cookbooks. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Why get rid of the classics?  

I mean, Greens and the Silver Palate should be the ones on the chopping block!

Ha, ha, ha!  I use Greens all the time. Making the black bean chili this weekend and the white turnip soup soon. The Silver Palate has gone back and forth. It was on the chopping block for quite a while. Went back on the shelf yesterday. 
The tomes may stay or go. 

• Like 2

We probably should have a topic for folks who are contemplating -- or actually -- winnowing their cookbook collection, and could use some encouragement and empathy. Or maybe there's one already but I've forgotten about it.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ha, ha, ha!  I use Greens all the time. Making the black bean chili this weekend and the white turnip soup soon. The Silver Palate has gone back and forth. It was on the chopping block for quite a while. Went back on the shelf yesterday. 
The tomes may stay or go. 

The Silver Palate should stay if, for no other reason, the carrot cake, which is astonishing.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I have a few friends who have been fascinated in seeing some of the really old ones and it has been fun for me, too.

These I'd like to see!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...

IMG_5958.thumb.JPG.df3c582f2a1c5d3f6a78d9963b23e5f1.JPG

Hubby has been working on a renovation in the basement for quite a number of years (23 to be precise - but to be fair in that time there were a lot of other renovations that took precedence like making the house accessible for the rug rat). So finally the book shelves got completed - boxes that had been packed away for years were opened - and we soon discovered that there really wasn't enough shelf space for all the books we have purchased over the years. 

Of course any truly important books that had been packed away - we had to buy another copy of - so there was some duplication! I think I've run across 9 copies of the Bonnie Stern Cuisiart Cookbook - was never able to leave a copy behind in Value Village! I can now. Extra copies of The Best of Electric Crockery Cooking by Jacqueline Heriteau and Mable Hoffmans Crockery Cookbook to name a few. Couple of duplicates of some Maida Heatters.  Low fat was in style when these books hit the boxes - straight to Value Village for them! I've been viciously culling. 

I have taken more than 30 boxes of books that hubby doesn't care for anymore to work and I am dropping a few at a time to various shelters. 

So this is my wall - there is another shelf of mine on the other side of the room - my Modernist volumes don't fit here - so they are in another room - along with my chocolate books and my old medical texts. I'm looking forward to going through the 8 volumes of The Netter Collection of Medical Illustrations that my father bought for me when I graduated from medical school (he was a little surprised at the cost I recall). 

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've been viciously culling. 

Wow! You must have started with a LOT of books if this is after a major cull.  😄

We have moved quite a few times over the years and each time I get rid of a bunch of books, but they still manage to start accumulating with each new address. Nothing like your collection though!  🙂

• Like 3

Very, very cool. On the leftmost bottom shelf, the book furthest right: is that Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts? That was my gateway drug, er, book to torte-making.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, Alex said:

We probably should have a topic for folks who are contemplating -- or actually -- winnowing their cookbook collection, and could use some encouragement and empathy. Or maybe there's one already but I've forgotten about it.

I am winnowing.  The books are all, so far, going to our local library and they'll either keep what they want and discard the others in the sale items.  

For me it was time.  A factor perhaps of age.  And also I find myself finding the occasional new and interesting recipe online.  Plus I suppose we have pretty much settled down to a comfortable repetition of favorites.  

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2010 at 12:54 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

Finally did a count as I started entering my books into EYB (under the name fprincess). 53 books so far, including cookbooks and food-related. I have a few more that are not in the database and have not yet included (older books or French cookbooks that are not available in the US).

Most frequently used probably Les Halles (Anthony Bourdain).

Most recent acquisitions - How to Pick a Peach (Russ Parsons), The Raw and the Cooked (Jim Harrison), Beach Bum Berry Remixed (Jeff Berry), Larousse des Desserts (Pierre Herme, in French)

I am at 186 books as of today (and 988 notes entered in EYB). This includes cookbooks, cocktail, and general food-related books. That is +133 new books in 13 years, or an average of 10 per year. I am now more picky with my purchases due to space limitations! 

• Like 3