• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

I think there is nothing wrong with old-fashioned dishes. It would be lovely to see a post here showing a nice Tournedos Rossini in its full complete glory. Perhaps from those with access to unlimited supplies of truffles...? Heh, some may remember the NYT writing about it and showing it not so long ago...

Thanks for the positive responses to my recent posts. Again, the nice thing about egullet is the support for folks of all skill levels. From soup to nuts it's always fun. Keith_W commented that potatoes Anna is old school (Hey, I'm Old) but it holds up very well to Keller's pave and other preparations that requires hours of effort. The real reason I prepare them is my wife absolutely loves the dish. She loves it = more time in the kitchen for me to goof off.

I'm inspired by so many of the contributors to this thread but I'll have to single out mm84321. No need to buy coffee table cookbooks with your presentations, and you know it delivers on taste.

After smoking/grilling a lot of meats tuesday afternoon while testing my new CyberQ Pit Controller we served the Adana Kebabs tonight, along with some Roasted Okra Chips, Hummus and Babaghanouj.

8555101521_800c543fbc_o.jpg

Here is how they looked on the grill

8552090939_e064cc95cb_o.jpg

The previous night we had the Picanha, which is a Brazilian-style also referred to as Sirloin Rump Cover. Beef was Australian. This was served with collards and quinoa.

8552169031_2d499cb7d9_o.jpg

And here's how it looked on the grill:

8553191472_79087fcb8a_o.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Tonight's dinner was an Asian rice noodle and herb salad topped with rare sous vide wagyu beef.

image.jpg

The locally grown, grass fed wagyu beef was marinated in sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and palm sugar then cooked sous vide at 53.5 for 2 hours and seared with the blowtorch.

Salad had finely julienned Roma tomato, coriander, rocket, mint, spring onions and cabbage dressed with lime juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, palm sugar, lemongrass and chili.

Edited by Simon Lewinson (log)

Dinner last night was taken in a small roadside restaurant in the wilds of Guangxi, China. I knew by the time I got home, I'd be too tired.

The place I chose turned out to be run by a friendly young couple from Sichuan.

What I ordered was "Ge Le Mountain" La Zi Ji (哥乐山辣子鸡) . Ge Le Mountain is in Chongqing and this is where the dish, Sichuan style Chilli Chicken, originated.

It is basically chopped chicken on the bone, deep-fried, then stir fried with tons of dried red chillies,

Sichuan peppercorns, Chinese celery and scallions. For preference the chillies are the "facing heaven" type. Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe is here.

laziji.jpg

lazijicu.jpg

This was accompanied by egg fried rice.

danchaofancu.jpg
And a very necessary beer or three.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Nice grilling. Are the okra chips sliced lengthwise and deep-fried or? Seasoned?

Sliced lenghwise, tossed with olive oil. In this case seasoned with a arabic 7-spice blend, sumac and zaatar. Baked on a sheet pan until crispy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Amazing food everyone!

From Kim’s waffles to mm84321’s truffles

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some simple food,

dcarch

Sous vide chicken drumstick, butterflied.

Sous vide duck drumsticks, butterflied.

butterflydrumsticks_zps23fcc0da.jpg

butterflydrumsticks2_zps92ec9866.jpg

ducklegsousvide2_zps95a72a62.jpg

ducklegsousvide_zps26ad75bc.jpg

Oh man liuzhou I love that chicken recipe, usually called Chongqing chicken in NYC Sichuan restaurants I think. I have to try the Dunlop recipe.

It isone of my favourite chicken dishes. The Fuchsia Dunlop recipe is a good one and I recommend it, although she may have tamed down the chilli and peppercorn quantities a little. It isn't a dish for the faint-hearted.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Great meals everyone :smile:

Dinner was spatchcocked chicken

spatchcookin.jpg

Super easy and I alway try to save some for chicken salad the next day...very tasty

chickendinner-1.jpg

Another gift from the good Doctor

mates.jpg

bamboo.jpg

Thankfully these don't have to be eaten :laugh:

These are used in a spring tonic. They are washed, head and arms removed.

Soaked in whiskey for 3 weeks. A small amount taken daily.

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

Another gift from the good Doctor

mates.jpg

bamboo.jpg

Thankfully these don't have to be eaten :laugh:

These are used in a spring tonic. They are washed, head and arms removed.

Soaked in whiskey for 3 weeks. A small amount taken daily.

Shane

These would make a perfect cocktail garnish (with built-in swizzle stick)! What are they?

Some dishes of the past week

Mussels with cream sauce

2013-03-02%2020.12.19%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Lamb with roasted red beets

2013-03-02%2022.04.00%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Rabbit with beer and sherry sauce and mushroom risotto

2013-03-09%2020.31.51%20%28Medium%29.jpg

The rabbit looks delicious. Can you share the recipe?

I did not follow a recipe and it was just at the spot improvisation so unfortunately I can't give you exact measures:

I quickly browned the rabbit legs and minced onions and garlic, added 2 bottles of Westmalle Trippel (heavy blond Belgian beer), 1/5 bottle of sherry and half a liter of beef stock. The herbs I added were: parsley, tarragon, thyme and rosemary. I let it simmer at a low to medium heat for about 1,5 hours until the rabbit was very tender but not falling apart. I removed the rabbit, strained the sauce and let it reduce to 1/2. I finished it by adding some small silver onions.

For the risotto: just some minced onions, garlic, dried forest mushrooms (soaked in hot water - the mushroom flavored water gives an amazing flavor to the risotto), some homemade dried mushroom powder and near the end I added diced fresh brown mushrooms. Finished with grated parmesan and a little butter.

As for the dried mushroom powder: this stuff is amazing. I managed to buy a large amount of oyster mushrooms at a very low price, dehydrated them and ground them up in a blender. Below is what is left from half a kilo. Great way to instantly add a delicious mushroom flavor to something like a risotto. The flavor release is also much greater than using fresh ones. (also a cost saver as my local supermarkets tend to overprice these types of mushrooms)

2013-03-03%2000.58.46.jpg

Summary of this week:

60°C sous vide pork loin with cognac/mushroom sauce

2013-03-10%2020.24.52-5%20%28Medium%29.j

Sous vide short ribs with wine reduction

2013-03-12%2020.52.18.jpg

I was not fully satisfied with 60°C for 48h. I will try a lower temperature next time. The sauce was also too heavy.

Pork ribs with mushroom cream sauce

2013-03-13%2021.24.16.jpg

Sous vide at 60°C for 48h. My god, I can still taste this meat. So delicious and moist.

Fish stew with sherry and cream

2013-03-15%2021.42.29.jpg

Edited by Wapi (log)

Another squid dish for dinner tonight as part of our Cook-Off (http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144640-cook-off-62-squid-calamari-and-octopus/page-3#entry1912482). Tonight, Sablefish with Seared Squid, Chickpea Puree and Blood Orange Balsamic Syrup-

021.JPG

still winter here in NYC.

and it's not supposed to snow in March. *grumble*

8564686282_242f3bfd8f_z.jpg

Insalata di patate d'inverno (Italian potato salad (winter version)) -- radicchio, olives, capers, heirloom potatoes, red onion, celery

8564686084_29e2a5509b_z.jpg

Roasted grapes, fennel seeds, ricotta cheese

8564685974_b949397250_z.jpg

Spaghetti, with fennel, anchovy and fried breadcrumbs

8564686190_73119e6e0e_z.jpg

Honeycrisp apple crumble, butter pecan ice cream