• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

The chicken looks very good. You've inspired me to try sous vide thighs tomorrow: I don't recall ever getting around to them.

Chris, I made up about 100ml of 4% brine blended with 3 grams of fresh herbs and 0.5 grams of ground pepper, then injected each thigh with about 5ml. Bagged them 4 at a time with 6 tablespoons of fat, 2 fresh sage leaves and 1 fresh bay leaf and left them to marinate for 2 hours before giving them a nice warm swim.

I am considering upping the salt to 5% and allowing to marinate for nearer 6 hours.

Simon

Ann_T – So glad you stopped by, the halibut and tomato/olive salsa looks/sounds fantastic.

Dejah – Mmmm, lemongrass short ribs. You and your fresh green peppercorns. :sad::wink:

Soba – Spicy shrimp and boozy bread pudding, two of my favorite things.

Patrick – Fascinating flavor combinations

Crab and spinach quiche

p1509622908-4.jpg

8607867159_073dd31627_z.jpg

Ricotta gnocchi with leek greens, Chinese pork sausage and orange zest

Leek greens are the dark green parts of a leek that most people tend to throw out.

Kind of a fusion-Italian experiment that worked -- leek greens and lap cheong sausage cooked in unsalted butter, seasoned with sea salt, crushed red pepper flakes, sesame oil, Cara Cara orange zest and rice vinegar.

8608973260_d9771aa7c3_z.jpg

Poached shrimp, marinated in olive oil and lemon juice

For those of you playing along, this is on pages 65-66 of "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" by Marcella Hazan (2012 edition).

For those of you without the book -- the shrimp were poached in their shells, in boiling water along with carrot, celery, sea salt and red wine vinegar. When the shrimp were cooked, they were then peeled, then marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper for one hour.

8607866757_2fc257887e_z.jpg

Spaghettini with garlic and bitter greens (radicchio, broccoli rabe)

Mm84321 – outrageous! with or without truffles.

C. sapidus – Very nice Crab and spinach quiche.

Patrickamory – Life would be very good if I can have some of those roasted chicken with clementines.

Simon Lewinson – I say your first sous vide confit chicken thighs is a success.

SobaAddict70 – Very nice presentation, all the dishes.

Emily R – what a beautiful bowl of risotto!

Dejah – Incredible orchestration of flavors on your short ribs dish.

Ann_t – perfection in Halibut cooking.

Keith – great presentation of your calamari.

Jason Perlow – I can really sink my teeth into that smoked beef on whole wheat matzos.

Weinoo - Matzo ball ramen, very creative...

Sapidus - garlicky oven-roasted chicken is my favorite way of making chicken.

Kim – I have been waiting for you to post some more of your wonderful cooking and I was not disappointed.

FrogPrincesse – impressive photography!

-------------------------------------------------------

Prime ribs was on sale for Easter. So I made sous vided prime ribs rare and medium rare. For fussy eaters.

dcarch

primerib_zpse987eb73.jpg

primeribmediumrare2_zpsf9c03c97.jpg

primeribmediumrare_zpsdf1ad5ea.jpg

primeribmedium_zpsc18f0f1c.jpg

primeribmedium2_zps1b196a1e.jpg

primeribmedium3_zpsf9529dd0.jpg

dcarch, your beautiful and original creations are always intriguing and were indeed the first thing to have drawn me to join eGullet recently.

I wonder if you could tell me what your prime rib is lying on - yams perhaps? Do you eat every element of your dishes, or are there sometimes parts added purely for decoration?

Thanks for the continuing inspiration!

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Thank you Plantes Vertes.

The first dish - prime rib on horizontally thin sliced portabella mushrooms and white asparagus. Tarragon sauce.

The second dish - bok choy, micro bell peppers and compressed multi-color potatoes. Rosemary sauce.

In general, I don't normally decorate food, carve food or garnish with unrelated ingredients, unless I get silly and try to be funny (for instance, Halloween dishes).

dcarch

Decided to have pasta for dinner tonight and after collecting fresh, still warm eggs from the chicken pen and making the pasta dough I discovered that the pasta machine was nowhere to be found! First time making fresh pasta and I was determined to continue, so out came the rolling pin and rustic papardelle was the outcome.

Topped with a sous vide wagyu beef cheek ragu and shaved Parmesan.

image.jpg

My only criticism was that the pasta was a bit too thick and not as consistent as I would have liked.

Dinner was a roast chicken, injected with stock made from another roast chicken. This double dose of chicken makes the bird incredibly juicy with a very strong chicken flavour. Here it is, just out of the rotisserie and resting:

original.jpg

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Decided to have pasta for dinner tonight and after collecting fresh, still warm eggs from the chicken pen and making the pasta dough I discovered that the pasta machine was nowhere to be found! First time making fresh pasta and I was determined to continue, so out came the rolling pin and rustic papardelle was the outcome.

Topped with a sous vide wagyu beef cheek ragu and shaved Parmesan.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My only criticism was that the pasta was a bit too thick and not as consistent as I would have liked.

Pretty good for a first time I would say!

I just got my first of the season English peas in my CSA, which inspired me to come with this dish: Homemade cavatelli with English peas, almond and mint pesto, and homemade ricotta.

8614751755_86bd3d91ed_z.jpg

Great posts over the past week. Thank god that our spring break company has left! Total non foodies for a week. Although it does take a lot of pressure off the hosts when our guest start their day off at What-A-Burger.

Fresh swordfish showed up at the market yesterday so dinner last night was grilled fish with Fattoush - Lebanese salad with dry bread, pomegranate molasses and sumac.

P1000825(1).JPG

Lunch today was pressure cooker chuck roast poboy on Reising's bread from New Orleans. It did not start out quite sloppy enough so I added more debris to make it a four paper towel delight.

P1000829(1).JPGP1000831(1).JPG

After a light lunch why not a nice porcini, cremini, and shiitake risotto to start the evening followed by filet, shrimp and asparagus.

P1000834(1).JPGP1000838(1).JPG