• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Nice pictures again, Pete.

edit:

Tomato bisque.

Then, served together:

Colcannon with mashed Yukon gold potatoes, seared cabbage, onion, and poblano chiles, Dijon, buttermilk.

Steamed baby bok choy.

Rabbit meat (meaning boneless) roasted with oyster mushrooms with a balsamico gravy.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Last night, second dinner from the new grill was chicken. It was marinated in oil, garlic, ginger, and orange zest, and at the end of the grilling, brushed with orange marmalade and the juice of an orange. With it, fried plantains with mango & avocado salsa, and black beans & rice.

i4752.jpg

The night before, an early birthday dinner from our new grill. :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Oven roasted herb potatoes with rosemary, thyme, garlic and evoo.

Green beans with butter and slivered almonds.

And a big ol' bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken (original recipe)! :blink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

First time posting:

had oven braised short ribs with rosemary-butter oven roasted potatoes...

falling off the bone delicious, but needed some mylanta afterwards!

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Braised Brisket with Tarragon Gravy, Parsley and Garlic Champ, Bourguignonne Garnish.

i4620.jpg

Served with lightly braised root vegetables and Chateau L'Euziere 2001, Coteaux Du Languedoc, Pic Saint Loup from Marcel and Michel Causse.

Ohhhhh, pretty. I seem to be out-of-sync: we hate gotten an early false-summer here (~70 and sunny this weekend!) but this is exactly the kind of thing I am still craving.

However, we had a cookout Sunday night. Little burgers, mine with pickled jalepeno slices and lost of white American. Tostitos. Planned to do asparagus on the grill and a grilled corn and red onion salad with lots of basil and pepper, steaks, and chicken, but what started out as a minor clean-up-the-backyard project turned into a major landscaping ordeal. I cut a lime for my Corona after we finished and decided that would be the extent of my cooking for the day.

Sesame chicken salad from a Food & Wine recipe. Combined cooked chicken breasts with vermicelli,spicy sesame sauce,cucumbers,bell pepper,spring onions and coriander.Just what I needed.

Last night: fettucini carbonara ala hillvalley: added some garlic and parmesean

Tonight: roasted cauliflower and head on shrimp sauteed in garlic with cilantro

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Monday

Sauteed herbed new potatoes with rosemary, Dalmatian sage, S &P, butter and evoo

Turkey Spinach Lasagna- spinach sauteed in garlic and evoo, ground turkey, mushrooms, tomato spinach sauce, a little chevre and lasagna noodles

Rosemary Foccacia

Apple Tarte Tatin

last night:

quiche lorainne

salad

garlic bread

tonight:

split pea and onion soup

cheese and onion bread

some sort of pudding, still undecided :raz:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Shredded chipotle beef tacos, filled and then crisped/sogged in the oven, then topped with a 5-cheese Mexican blend, jalapenos, green olives, sour cream, and curtido-style coleslaw.

My S.O. ate TEN. :shock: I had two.

Well, they were kind of small. :wink:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Family style service:

Salad of bocconcini with black olives, seeded and diced plum tomatoes, lemon zest.

Root vegetable bisque (celery root, turnips, parsnips, carrots, potatoes, celery).

Green cabbage and white onion Cole slaw with celery seeds.

Mushroom frittata.

White and whole wheat petit pain.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

yesterday

steamed broccoli and asparagus

tossed salad with shredded cheese

an amazingly good combination of sauted purple onions, large chicken breast chunks when meat was pink added cut up fresh tomato, slopped in some white wine and onion salt. Cleaned the pan with many pieces of bread crusts. I don't know which was actually better

today

fried rice with chicken chunks, red peppers, zuccini, baby carrots cut on the diagonal.sauted purple onion, soya sauce, lea and perrins i think that was all.

tomorrow

something else with chicken chunks probably. Skinless, boneless breasts are on sale this week, bought lots. Maybe chicken barley soup.

Too tired to get the pictures off the camera right now, but tonight I made a really successful improvised Middle Easterny stew kind of thing by dicing an eggplant and popping it in the oven to roast for a bit while I sauteed onion in olive oil with some berbere. Eggplant, red peppers and two quarters of chopped preserved lemon into the pan, sauteed, added a bit of water, covered, let cook. Stirred in about a cup of leftover cooked beans, heated through. Wonderful spicy lemony savory vegetable-y goodness, fantastic with a crisp salad that included a bunch of crumbled fresh cheese.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

tuesday: moroccan spiced chicken with israeli couscous salad

108-0869_IMG.JPG

I think pcarpen wins the prize for gorgeous chicken skin. Beautiful photos. What blend of spices went on the chicken? Was it roasted in pieces?

No cooking for me lately, unless you count unwrapping pieces of gum and lighting cigarettes as cooking.

Monday: Duck confit, asparagus and caramelized garlic pizza

Tuesday: Lamb tart - prebaked a tart shell, put down a layer of broiled eggplant then ground lamb mixture (lamb,spinach, pine nuts in a spicy tomato sauce), sprinkled with crumbled manouri cheese then briefly broiled, jam tart made from leftover dough and some melon and orange marmalade for a late evening snack

Salad of mesclun with German Bergader blue cheese.

Avacado soup (chicken broth etc etc) with diced concasse plum tomatoes and diced roasted red pepper, coriander leaves, fresh corn tortilla chips.

Frites with fresh wasabi mayo and fresh coriander mayo.

i4811.jpg

Panko chile chicken thighs.

Kind of. Looks a bit pale.

Kind of. Looks a bit pale.

But the table is so highly polished! :biggrin:

Glass atop the wood, dear heart.