• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Miso shiru with spinach.

Mesclun salad with bits from roast pork loins with a glaze made from my tonkatsu sauce, tomato, and lime.

i4942.jpg

Packages of sauteed wild mushrooms wrapped in blanched Napa cabbage, tied with a scallion.

A slice of roast pork like this but then sliced into pieces you can pick up with hashi, tonkatsu/tomato/lime dipping sauce.

i4943.jpg

Gohan (Japanese rice) flavoured with pork juices.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It looks fabulous, Jinmyo. Your pictures always make me hungry! :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Thank you, Jake. The photos are getting better but still take me a long time to take, upload, re-size etc. I took ten pictures of that slice of pork and wound up with two I could use.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

(Minor Sunday celebration - goodbye, Chicago)

Gravlax with Red Onion Confiture, Buckwheat Blinis and Creme Fraiche

Veuve Cliquot Vintage Reserve 1993

Braised "Poulet a l'Estragon" and some Chimay Grand Reserve

Chilled orange mousse with a chocolate-espresso tuile

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Spicy boiled crawfish with corn on the cob, new potatoes and link 'party time' sausages.

Coronas with limes

Banana pudding for dessert.

We are stuffed. What a great evening. :biggrin:

Stop Family Violence

Pizza -- the Italian, near paper-thin cracker bubbly crust sort. Three of them, two with bressaola, olive oil and arugula (mozzarella and olives added to my husband's), and one with thinly sliced apples covered with melted gorgonzola dulce. My favorites. We ate them standing up in the kitchen dropping bits of cracked pizza crust for the dogs to snatch.

- delicious porky pork chop from Doves Butchers on the Northcote Road, seared then roasted plain for 15 minutes in a hot oven

- small cubes of apple, fennel and onion fried in butter with a few fennel seeds

- butternut squash roasted with olive oil + red chilli flakes

- steamed green beans tossed with olive oil, parsley + garlic

celebrating having the oven back!

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

i5041.jpg

A chorus line of spatchcocked quail - served with sauteed fresh champignons de Paris and country bread, followed by salad and cheese.

Edited to say that I was so ready to get these birds to the table as they came out from under the broiler that I did not think of taking a photo of the finished product, which was really very beautiful indeed.

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

Saturday

Cucumber slices topped with wasabi creme fraiche, shrimp and caviar

Proscuitto & melon

Foie gras pate

seared black sesame crusted tuna over greens, mango salsa & sticky rice

Dark chocolate & orange mousse cake

Assorted cheeses

Sunday

Spicy dry-rub ribs

Grilled corn with chipotle butter

Cole slaw

Fresh fruit

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Soprano's Sunday night. For two:

Garlic bread, made by me. Salad of watercress tossed in a delicious Caeser-ish dressing of lemon, olive oil, anchovy paste, and lots and lots of grated Parmigiano. Pureed some garlic with salt and pepper for last minute tossing, cutting board in my lap and mincing away, wholly absorbed in the show. Surprised that I managed to keep all my digits.

stouffer's lasagna

Lots of great looking and sounding food was consumed this weekend!

Jake, both of those menus sounded especially good. Bleudauvergne, I know the feeling of forgetting to photo because of being so eager to serve something. I'm sure the quail were delicious, and beautiful as well.

i5028.jpg

Nothing but a gigantic steamed artichoke apiece, with garlic mayonnaise. And damn good, too!

i5027.jpg

Beautiful! And steaming them "upside down"... I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference, but we do ours tops up, or if the stems were too beautiful to cut off, on their sides. We'll try placing them that way next time we do it. Who knows, maybe tonight?! Do you use a splash of vinegar or wine or anything?

Friday night we were out, happy hour eating. Saturday we grilled beef tenderloin steaks and baby vegetables, and by request of my son, "mom's potato salad." He flew from Pensacola to Daytona with some other Navy Flight Officers this weekend for my birthday, and brought them to dinner. Last night we realized that we had never grilled hamburgers and hot dogs on the new grill, and did that. Zinfandels both nights.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

As was requested, here is a shot of the old Garland:

i5045.jpg

The other shots are all during prep:

i5080.jpg

Seaweed (wakame and kombu strips) soup with soba.

Sautéed huagu and cremini mushrooms in chile and sesame sauce.

i5044.jpg

Three kinds of tofu roasted with leeks in awabi sauce.

i5047.jpg

Snow peas with lemon.

Quick green daikon tsukemono.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Saturday night we went out to dinner- rack of lamb with a heavenly red wine reduction sauce- buttery garlic pottatoes and spring asparagus.

Last night we ate in... shrimp creole over rice. Lovely big, fat gulf shrimp from the fishmongers! Served with an Australian Shiraz.

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

Friday night: Brats & kraut cooked Thursday night in the slow cooker. BAD, BAD IDEA. The brats were mushy & and the expensive German kraut with white wine was all but obliterated. Yuck. :angry::angry:

Saturday night: To make up for Friday: Mom's Sicilian Meat Roll, veal/beef/pork, mixed with garlic, tomato juice, egg, breadcrumbs, oregano, parmesan, S&P, laid out flat & layered with ham and provolone, rolled up and baked. Yum. Olive oil mashed potatoes and Lidia's green beans in chunky tomato sauce. :wub:

Last night: Lidia's Chicken Valdostana on her Spaghetti Aglio-Olio. :wub: Used Barilla's linguine rigate. ROASTED CAULIFLOWER :wub: sprinkled with red wine vinegar.

Tonight: Biba Caggiano's white bean soup, made yesterday, with lots of ham added. Asiago bread, bruschetta style. Some cheese. Leftover ROASTED CAULIFLOWER.

I do not have one bit of Italian in my blood. :huh:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Saturday:

Bone-in leg of lamb, seared in bacon fat :unsure: , then covered in compound butter (fennel seed and some other things I forget) and roasted, served with a red wine reduction that had some of the compound butter mounted in at the end--this is my new favorite way to prepare a leg of lamb

Gratineed potatoes

Julienned fennel bulb cooked "hobo style " (probably known as en papillote on these boards :raz: ) with more bacon fat, lardons, lemon zest, fennel seed, and juniper berries

Baguette

And steamed asparagus, for my cousins, who looked at the fennel bulbs and screamed "eeeew! That looks like dinosaur food!"

For 12

EDIT: also, I forgot, the lemon curd and marscapone cake from the front of Bon Appetit. Was a nice, lemony cake. Will keep handy.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

And steamed asparagus, for my cousins, who looked at the fennel bulbs and screamed "eeeew! That looks like dinosaur food!"

Huh?

And steamed asparagus, for my cousins, who looked at the fennel bulbs and screamed "eeeew!  That looks like dinosaur food!"

Huh?

I suppose they thought it looked like something dinosaurs might eat. My aunt said they feel the same about artichokes. :rolleyes:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Artichokes I can understand a bit more because of the "scales".

I'll have to remember that when I pull the fennel out tomorrow and give them a good look.

Last night I made steak sandwiches using thin sliced beef marinated in EVOO, Rosemary, little lemon juice and pepper. The bread was my own (or I should say Jack Lang’s) wonderful sourdough, baked a couple of hours earlier. To go with it I made garlic aioli that was slathered on the warm bread before the pan grilled steak and lettuce were added .

The sandwich was served with French fries (double fried) and extra aioli on the side.

I am having leftovers for lunch. :smile:

i5043.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last night I made steak sandwiches using thin sliced beef marinated in EVOO, Rosemary, little lemon juice and pepper. The bread was my own (or I should say Jack Lang’s) wonderful sourdough, baked a couple of hours earlier. To go with it I made garlic aioli that was slathered on the warm bread before the pan grilled steak and lettuce were added .

The sandwich was served with French fries (double fried) and extra aioli on the side.

I am having leftovers for lunch. :smile:

i5043.jpg

Elie

That's my kind of steak sandwich!

P.S. Belated Happy Birthday :smile:

Thanks Susan..we are palnning on celebrating my birthday this coming weekend by going out for a nice dinner since the babysitter (aka mother in law) was busy this past Friday. So, it is not that belated :smile:

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

We're between courses. Redfox, thanks for the artichoke idea. It's been a while since we've had that, and as soon as I saw your photos, I knew I wanted some tonight. I love this place!! We decided to use the side burner of our new grill which is a deep fryer OR steamer OR warmer, instead of stove top, so there wasn't room to place them upside down. We'll do that next time.

i5064.jpg

Here's a "before" photo of them,

i5065.jpg

And here's an "after" photo of them.

i5066.jpg

The pork is cooking on the grill's rotisserie even as we speak.