• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

spaghetti with EVOO, garlic, chopped Italian parsley, capers and cracked black pepper. So simple and SOOOOOO good.

braised celery in chicken stock and white wine.

green salad.

Pellegrino.

no bedtime snack, altho I meant to make a shake.

Soba

monday: Mahogany clams with tomato, pinenuts, garlic, white wine, parsley, scallion, lemon, and israeli couscous

Looks absolutely delicious. The only couscous I can find where I live is the tiny variety.

Dinner last night (and lunch today) was lentil salad with duck confit on a bed of mesclun (gotta have my greens) with a slice of walnut-roquefort bread. Mid-evening snack was strawberries dipped in warm white chocolate ganache.

Served family style for thirty:

Rye toast points with smoked liverwurst topped with slivered scallions.

Conchiglie pasta with a tomato and chipotle sauce with assorted peppers (poblano, cubanelle, red), pitted black olives, and red kidney beans.

Smoked chicken with sauteed wild mushrooms.

Roasted fennel with cubes of fruilano cheese and panko breadcrumbs.

Slaw of Korean green cabbage and onion with celery seeds.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

the refrigerator is officially empty! :biggrin:

katsuo-tataki --seared bonito on a bed of baby spinach and sliced onions with a soy based dressing

tofu steaks with a ponzu sauce

miso soup with kabocha and aburage (deep fried tofu pockets) and a large spoonful of yuzu-koshou (yuzu and green chile paste)

shibazuke pickles

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Last night I had wild Alaskan salmon for the first time, and it was unbelievably great. I had tried wild salmon before from the Columbia River, and it wasn't half as good. The Alaskan is the best salmon ever. I broiled it with a garlic/butter/Dijon mustard/wine sauce with fines herbes.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Roasted fennel with cubes of fruilano cheese and panko breadcrumbs.

Jinmyo, what is fruilano cheese? Sad to say, my knowledge of good cheese is more or less nonexistant.

Perhaps that's because it can also be spelled "friulano"? It is also called "furlano" and even "montasio".

It's a rindless Italian cheese, quite yellow and lactic, and develops a hazel nut flavour as it ages. It browns very nicely at high temperatures.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

the refrigerator is officially empty!

So is ours...but never mind, payday tomorrow! :raz:

Lamb slices and veges "Genghis Khan" yesterday, extended exponentially with 48-yen beansprouts, 50-yen cabbage, and drawn up to heaven by soft, new-crop onions.

Hope you get to hit the town with your Mom and Dad, Torakris.

Cooked dinner at home for the first time in ages, a real dinner that is. Filet with a creamy red-wine peppercorn reduction, mixed greens with avocado and a champagne vinegar evoo dressing, fingerling potatos. Accompanied by a lovely Merlot -- too lazy to go look at the bottle to see what was opened. :shock:

Mango and blackberries later.... :wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

The weather forecast was for cooler temps today (mid-60s) so I planned on Cock-a-Leekie Pie (recipe adapted from one in the February issue of Olive). The temps were higher than expected (mid- to upper-70s) but I made it anyway and served it with roasted asparagus.

Good decision!

trying to use up any perishables, etc. so

smoked salmon on red pepper bread( a gift at work from the local baker)

stuffed clams

4 bean salad with yellow and green beans, red kidney beans and cannelini beans, minced shallots and onion in a vinagrette

buffalo burgers

hopefully johnnybird will take down some vanilla soymilk and some of the gingerbread for dessert

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

last night:

roast tomato tart (still working on that pastry resolution!)

big salad with basil etc

tonight:

homemade pizza on a honey wholewheat base

salad

fruit soup with sour cream

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

kicked off with a colossal gin + tonic and some of those wonderful Fragata brand green olives stuffed with anchovies, after hellish day at the media coalface

then

- omelette with steamed asparagus folded inside

- okra fried in a little olive oil with tomato, cumin, garlic, splash of balsamic + a surprising amount of salt, simmered about 15 minutes till sauce nice and sticky

- little Gems with oil + vinegar

then a piece of lemon drizzle cake at midnight (I blame my flatmate)

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Went to my parent's house for my mom's birthday and ate, among other things: galbi jjim (big hunky short ribs long-cooked with soy, mirin, garlic, etc), jap chae (cellophane noodles with meat and veggies), many different panchan, mandoo guk (for lack of a better description, wonton soup), gorgeous little fritters of shredded beef tossed in cornstarch and flour, then battered very lightly and deep-fried. Our family's typical fresh kimchi/salad: greens and long ribbon-cut scallions dressed with chili flakes, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Put together by my grandmother and aunt.

Then, went to my boyfriend's house to ogle the array of new Calphalon he acquired yesterday. Ate again: really good little pork medallions, just salted and peppered; big green salad; some middle eastern rice mix from a box, the seasoning packet of which he threw away in favor of butter, salt and pepper. Was really pretty good, with the exception of the strange, gummy little "pine nuts" already in the rice.

Last night was really simple:

Chicken legs, thighs and wings marinated in olive oil, s/p, herbs de provence, shallots, garlic and lemon zest and then grilled over charcoal. That was served with fresh brussel sprouts as well as leftover boiled potatoes sauteed with pancetta (had to use it up) sliced shallots, and diced red bell peppers. We also had a simple tossed salad with a dill vinaigrette.

Total cost of dinner about $6 and we've got leftover chicken for lunch today. yum!

Brian

Soup and Sandwiches

Soup:

Chicken broth with a quail egg and slivered scallions.

Tomato water consomme with a grilled U10 shrimp and a drop of guajillo chile oil.

Panini (pressed hot sandwiches, pain de levain):

Chevre and roasted shaved fennel with arugula.

Fruilano with soprasetta.

Shredded lobster with caramelized onion and pepperoncino.

Bacon and tomato concasse.

Smoked chicken with peppers and chipotle.

Hot Italian sausage slices with pecorino and spinach.

And thick cut frites with fresh wasabi mayo.

For 30

Soup and Sandwiches

Soup:

Tomato water consomme with a grilled U10 shrimp and a drop of guajillo chile oil.

For 30

Jinmyo,

The sandwiches sound wonderful, especially the lobster sandwich!

Thanks to you, I learned what "concasse" meant (had to look it up...hopefully, eGullet will have a food/cuisine terminology dictionary someday!).

Two questions:

1) I'm not sure if I asked you this before but how do you make your wasabi mayo?

2) Some of the sandwich combos look like they would have a spicy kick to them. Do you find you have to hold back on the spiciness since not everyone appreciates truly spicy hot dishes? Or do you offer a range of "heat" in your food?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Toliver, I make a simple wasabi mayo with wasabi, mayo and lime juice. I'm sure Jinmyo will have something even better though! :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

It's funny how you bring up frulano cheese when I had it last night for the first time. It's tasty in a salad.

We ate at my Mom's last night, and in addtion to the salad, she roasted a turkey, and made the most wonderful potato filling. It's a Penna Dutch recipe that is a combo of mashed potatoes and bread stuffing, and if my mom is cooking it, more than a splash of cream.

Soup and Sandwiches

Soup:

For 30

Jinmyo,

The sandwiches sound wonderful, especially the lobster sandwich!

Thanks to you, I learned what "concasse" meant (had to look it up...hopefully, eGullet will have a food/cuisine terminology dictionary someday!).

Two questions:

1) I'm not sure if I asked you this before but how do you make your wasabi mayo?

2) Some of the sandwich combos look like they would have a spicy kick to them. Do you find you have to hold back on the spiciness since not everyone appreciates truly spicy hot dishes? Or do you offer a range of "heat" in your food?

1) Eggs, in this case grapeseed oil, lime, wasabi.

2) Heat should always be judiciously balanced to lift trhe flavour profiles rather than cover them over. For example, the tomato water consomme is very light so while here's a bit of salt, no pepper. (Besides the ground pepper would just fall to the bottom). The teeny drop of guajillo chile oil replaces pepper.

Both:

Chevre and roasted shaved fennel with arugula

Bacon and tomato concasse

contained no chile.

But basically, if yis r a crybaby then gits out n don' darken me door agin.

Both:

Chevre and roasted shaved fennel with arugula

Bacon and tomato concasse

contained no chile.

I noticed that and figured those would be for the chile wimps. :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver