• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

I've been very ill for a long time now, the most upsetting effect of which has been completely putting me off my food! Unforgivable. So this it the first thing I've cooked for myself in a long time..cold soba noodles with wasabi, soy sauce, shredded nori and sesame seeds. MY version of "plain food". :wink:

It may not look like much, but to be able to eat this again, to me..is a triumph.

photo-8.jpg

Sorry to hear you've been unwell. Nice to hear things are picking up.

My thoughts also.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I've been very ill for a long time now, the most upsetting effect of which has been completely putting me off my food! Unforgivable. So this it the first thing I've cooked for myself in a long time..cold soba noodles with wasabi, soy sauce, shredded nori and sesame seeds. MY version of "plain food". :wink:

It may not look like much, but to be able to eat this again, to me..is a triumph.

photo-8.jpg

I've been wondering where you were! Glad you're on the mend!

Great to hear your feeling better RRO

This thread has got me through some tough times, when eating/cooking wasn't much fun.

Thank you for starting it :smile:

First batch of bacon, 12 hrs cold smoked with apple wood and overnight rest

bacondone.jpg

Sliced

bacon-6.jpg

Good but not perfect

Made a few errors on this batch which was mainly not giving it a proper soak out after ther cure.

Odered another belly today for round 2

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

Second the amazing bacon.

Made tuna and avocado stack. Avocado is simply dressed with lime juice, olive oil, and salt. Tuna is mixed with chopped scallions, sesame oil, ginger, and soy sauce.

121229 001 Avocado Tuna Tartare - Version 2.jpg

Good but not perfect

Made a few errors on this batch which was mainly not giving it a proper soak out after ther cure.

Odered another belly today for round 2

Shane

The trick is not so much soaking it as taking it out of the cure when it is ready. Soaking simply corrects overcuring. If you are used to pressing steaks to see when they are ready, try taking your bacon out of the cure when it starts to feel like a well-done steak. Any earlier and it will be undercured, any later and you'll have to correct it by soaking. Bacon is a bit like pastry: people claim that it is all measurement and accuracy but the number of variations in ingredients, particularly in flour, means that it is more about getting in the ball park by measuring and then adjusting quantities by feel.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

First use of my new pressure cooker... chickpeas for a Madhur Jaffrey chole. The chickpeas were a solid success, creamy like I've never had them before, bursting with flavor, I could eat them (and ate quite a few in fact) without salt.

The chole was one of the best recipes I've found so far - she notes that she was trying to replicate street vendor renditions of chole, and this comes closer in succulence to the Punjabi taxistand joints in NYC than other recipes I've tried (while still not actually replicating the signature cab vibe of oily greasy yumminess).

Next up: making the entire chole in the pressure cooker, not just the chickpea cooking portion (I wonder whether this will be a good thing - any advice from the PC faithful?)

chole.jpg

Special dinner for New Year's Eve. Recipe from The French Laundry Cookbook incorporating sous-vide techniques from Under Pressure.

Butter poached Lobster with Vanilla served with Leeks, Pommes Maxim, and a Red Beet Essence.

IMGP4572.JPG

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog