• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Filipino beef and onions.jpg

Filipino beef and onions with toyomansi sauce.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Id like to hear more about the Filipino Beef w toyomansi sauce. looks delicious

Here you go - more or less. I used Toyomansi (google it - I found mine in an Asian Store) in place of the soy sauce and kalamansi juice and reduced the marinade before frying up the onions and beef.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna -- that dish was one of the standards in my family. that photo brings back a lot of memories. thank you.

tonight:

7647860452_2e8a4a866b_z.jpg

Nectarine, ricotta cheese and heirloom tomato salad.

The dressing consists of 1 teaspoon honey, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper (to taste). Mint chiffonade for garnish.

7647860174_2f4bbe7770_z.jpg

Sage and onion frittata

7647859450_5bb7784403_z.jpg

Sage and onion frittata, bread with extra-virgin olive oil

This is extraordinarily easy -- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced, fried in olive oil until golden brown, along with a few chopped sage leaves. To that, add 3 beaten eggs, seasoned to taste with sea salt and freshly milled black pepper. Pour the eggs over the onion mixture. Cook until the eggs are set, then flip over and cook the other side. You can add cheese if you want (and if you elect that option, you'll have to finish it in the oven). I usually skip that step if I'm cooking for myself. Garnish with thinly sliced basil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Tonight I tried " Bacon Pizza " with AP flour.

Here I started with 130 g H20, 4 G Salt and 3 G Instant Yeast-- But I added AP Flour, till the dough came together. Allowed to rise 2 hrs with Olive oil.

The dough came out pretty wet, when I put it on the peel.

In my Weber Pizza oven @ 600 degrees for 8 mins.

7647206106_f7c0314343_b.jpg

Really different crust-- more Sicilian style, --soft bread like texture, had a nice crusty crunch.

Its good to have Morels

SobaAddict: That sage and onion frittata is going on my "must-try" list.

Lamb leg steaka.jpg

Roasted mini potatoes, carrots and a lamb leg steak with chimichurri sauce.

My 2004 eG Blog

Some from one of my dinners last night it was an Italian theme,

Local albacore crudo, uni cream, olive oil and lemon

7654112908_1b7a389684_z.jpg

Buratta, tomatoes, greens and balsamic

7654113510_af901afa5f_z.jpg

Lobster risotto, soft cooked jidori egg yolk

7654114142_1c6277dbb4_z.jpg

Wild boar raviolo, pumpkin sauce

7654114704_e7efe691a0_z.jpg

Lemon olive oil cake, plum sauce, plum-syrah sorbet, toasted almond cocoa crumble

7654115262_697b6ba21b_z.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Very impressive, Scotty.

I like the burrata the best, although I'm sure all were wonderful.

tonight:

7654298100_ec849782da_z.jpg

Left: Brown basmati rice with almonds, mint and pomegranate.

Right: Pan-fried zucchini, red bell pepper and butterstick squash, with panch phoran.

Butterstick squash is an heirloom variety of zucchini, known for its yellow skin and sweet, firm flesh.

Panch phoran is a spice mixture that typically consists of fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, nigella seeds, fennel seeds and black mustard seeds.

Both are from Monica Bhide's cookbook, Modern Spice -- http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1416566597

FYI, I'm REALLY picky when it comes to cooking directly from cookbooks. I don't do it very often; when I do, it's because I like the cookbook enough to consider using it for more than just a reference or a source of inspiration. BTW both dishes were changed slightly based on what I currently have in my pantry.

Get this book; you won't regret it.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Italian night at Casa Soba....

7659945660_ed212a1557_z.jpg

Beans, with prosciutto crudo, potatoes and garlic

Very simple (like most of my cooking) -- steam or simmer the beans until tender; steam or simmer the potatoes until tender; then cook in olive oil with a little chopped garlic. Taste for salt and pepper, then stir in chopped prosciutto, dress with lemon juice and serve at once.

You can do this in 20 minutes, from start to finish.

7660288374_c85864ef61_z.jpg

Pappa al pomodoro

Start with a base of thinly sliced onions, slowly cooked in olive oil in a large stock pot or soup pot over medium-low heat until golden. This will take some time, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on your stove.

To that, add chopped garlic, then chopped ripe plum tomatoes (2 lbs. is more than sufficient, or if you prefer, a can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes and 1 tablespoon tomato paste), a pinch of red chile flakes, sea salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and let the tomatoes cook down, about 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover, then add cubed stale bread, a couple of cups of water, torn basil leaves and sea salt (to taste). Raise the heat to medium, and stir frequently, while mashing the bread. Eventually the soup will thicken to the consistency of pap.

Taste for salt and pepper. Ladle soup into warmed serving bowls, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, garnish with additional basil leaves if desired and serve at once.

Lovely meals, all

Chu chee curry with mixed seafood – shrimp, squid, clams, and fish, plus red curry paste, cracked coconut cream, fish sauce, and homegrown chiles, holy basil, Thai basil, and slivered lime leaves.

Braised cabbage with dried shrimp – with garlic, black pepper, and a touch of sugar, from Cradle of Flavor.

Jasmine rice

p91723486-4.jpg

nippon broth.jpg

Bouillon Nippon with Duck Breast

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog