• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Been making some Japanese food lately and not documenting most of it - here's some chicken negimaki - pounded chicken tenders wrapped around scallions, marinated in homemade tare (aka "teriyaki sauce") and seared. I wanted to do this with beef, but that's the only thing the crummy Safeway had organic.

600015_803781708221_1937918308_n.jpg

dcarch, first, two thumbs up and five stars for the scrapple dishes -- one of my all time favorite comfort foods.

Secondly, I assume you made your own since it's out of season right now. I've never made it from scratch but would love to try -- can you point me to any recipes?

Thanks guys. I didn't make the scrapples. Shoprite has them. I had not seen beef scrapple before either. Tasted about the same. just firmer texture.

Scrapple is great in fried rice, ravioli, omelets -------------.

$1.85 a lb.

dcarch

This thread continues to be a great source of inspiration! Beautiful meals from everyone.

A few recent meals.

Roasted scallops with potatoes, leeks, bacon. The vegetables were roasted in the oven and developed a ton of flavor. The recipe is from Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef.

7607320560_a4c736ee47_z.jpg

7601655568_32349096b1_z.jpg

Opah with fennel puree.

The opah (moonfish) is a fish I've discovered in Hawaii. It seems a little dense on the picture, but it's actually quite delicate and very moist. For the puree (which is really a thick sauce) I used this simple recipe created by Richard Blais for Food and Wine magazine. The fennel and green garlic were from my CSA.

7618655868_ab05990265_z.jpg

A little snack to nibble on before dinner - cherry tomatoes and mini cucumbers from Suzie's Farms.

7618656932_cd3094cb58_z.jpg

Another night we had this amazing 3-inch Delmonico steak from my favorite butcher shop. It was grilled and devoured by three very hungry people.

7619418090_80848994af.jpg

7627692954_a8df29c4ab.jpg

I served the steak with grilled baby eggplants from Schaner Farms with zahtar and feta.

7627698036_c67fa6ea28_z.jpg

Then a few nights ago, as we were watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics, we had a salad of lettuce, cucumber and tomato with zahtar and mint, together with a canary melon (extremely sweet) and jambon de pays (a rustic cured ham from France).

7660695040_74e353b762_z.jpg

The main course was a local white fish with red core Chantenay carrots and bagna cauda, toasted breadcrumbs - recipe from Lucques. The carrots were really the standout in this dish as they were very sweet and flavorful.

7660723650_94c23d7c82_z.jpg

dcarch – head and shoulders the most beautiful scrapple I have ever seen :wink:

frogprincesse – lots of gorgeous meals, but the jambon and mint salad jumps out for me

Red curry with chicken and green beans, aroma courtesy of our very happy Thai basil plant. Jasmine rice and Mrs. C’s un-pictured salad to go with.

p230530239-4.jpg

Great stuff everyone !

Came across "drumsticks" (Moringa pods), which is native to India and grows at the foothills of the Himalayas, so I made it with some goat and added another vegetable called Gilora (like a Gherkin).

Drumstick Gohst - You suck the tender seeds from the pod, leaving the fiberous shell.

DSCN0832-1200.jpg

Lamb kheema.jpg

Lamb kheema from a recipe in the current issue of Food&Drink (LCBO freebie magazine).

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

braised daikon with ground beef, stir fried napa cabbage, tomato and arugula (because I guess it's like mizuna) in a sort of fake ponzu dressing, and silken tofu and spinach miso soup

412472_804443531921_308719198_o.jpg

412472_804443546891_1699785027_o.jpg

I decided to do a Chinese feast tonight based on some produce I found at the farmer's market: vivid green broccolini, tiny asian eggplants and roma beans so fresh they still had their fuzz on them. I defrosted two lamb shoulder eye filets from a lamb I butchered a few months ago and made:

Cumin dusted, charcoal grilled lamb filet, sliced thin and served as is (Xinjiang)

Lamb and Broccolini with Oyster Sauce (Cantonese/American)

Fish Fragrant Eggplant from Fuschia Dunlop's book (Szechuan)

Roma Bean, Pork Rib & Potato Stew (Manchurian)

A Peach, a Plutot & A Heirloom Tomato for Dessert (Chinese in spirit)

I'm refalling in love with Chinese food again after a long hiatus as I'm slowly discovering the depth and soulfulness of flavors that Chinese Food has to offer.

PS: I am a guy.

Momofuku short ribs, cauliflower puree, quick pickled cucs, pickled carrots and pickled mustard seed - addictive little bastards those.

That looks amazing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cooked this as my entree tonight. Soft centered nest egg:

original.jpg

original.jpg

As you can see, the egg has a perfectly liquid yolk. It is sitting on a "nest" made from deep fried corn silk, seasoned with paprika, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and lemon zest. The timing for the egg came from Modernist Cuisine. The idea for the corn silk "nest" came from Ideas in Food.

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I suppose I am a baking n00blet no longer, although in the future, investing in some parchment paper might be a good idea.

Invest in a good silicone baking sheet instead. Loads more versatile, takes up less drawer space, and reusable!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Thanks pasta. That was the appetizer. The rest of the dinner wasn't quite as photogenic:

original.jpg

Grilled hanger steak with deep fried cauliflower (from MC), deep fried Enoki mushrooms, blue cheese mash potato, fava beans, borlotti beans, and asparagus.

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw