• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salting the Water For Hard-Boiled Eggs

Porthos

And when you guys talk about baking soda what is the ratio?

I use 1/2 cup salt and 2 tsp baking soda in a gallon of water but that's numbers I picked up from a recipe that requires peeling eggs that are still in a very delicate state well before hard boiled. I have no idea if there is any science to the ratios but I've done the recipe and had no trouble peeling the soft eggs so I use it any time I'm boiling eggs.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Naguere and Enrique -- THANK YOU! We have chickens, and even our oldest eggs (two weeks old maybe) have been virtually impossible to peel. I tried your steaming technique and -- like magic -- perfectly peelable eggs! I would have put this message up yesterday, but I wanted to put the eggs to the real test -- would they still be easy to peel after a night in the fridge. And? Yes! I am so thrilled!

Put them in a steamer, let the water come to a boil, and then I steamed them for 17 minutes (splitting the difference between 15 and 20 minutes, since I've read both online). Then put them into an ice bath. Peeled two right away and two the next day. Its a miracle!

If its true that the egg shell lets in the boiling solution, and that high pH eggs peel easier, then adding baking soda to the boiling water should make them easier to peel.

Baking soda is alkaline, so adding it to water raises the pH of the solution.

I havent tested to see what pH you end up with, but I'm sure someone on eG has a pH meter or the little test strips and can tell us.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

If its true that the egg shell lets in the boiling solution, and that high pH eggs peel easier, then adding baking soda to the boiling water should make them easier to peel.

I havent tested to see what pH you end up with, but I'm sure someone on eG has a pH meter or the little test strips and can tell us.

Give me the proportions - I'll test the pH.

I remember an experiment in Physics 101. When you put one drop of water in between two plates of flat glass, you will not be able to pull the glass apart, because you will be working against atmospheric pressure of 14 lbs per square inch of pressure.

I think that may be why steaming is a better way to hard boil an egg for earier peeling of the shell.

When you boil an egg in water, you clearly see tiny bubbles coming out fron the egg as the air expends from heat, water is suck into the egg as the egg cools down and air inside contracts. The water between the egg white and the shell makes it difficult for peeling due to 14 lb/sq in. of air pressure.

dcarch

I remember an experiment in Physics 101. When you put one drop of water in between two plates of flat glass, you will not be able to pull the glass apart, because you will be working against atmospheric pressure of 14 lbs per square inch of pressure.

I think that may be why steaming is a better way to hard boil an egg for earier peeling of the shell.

When you boil an egg in water, you clearly see tiny bubbles coming out fron the egg as the air expends from heat, water is suck into the egg as the egg cools down and air inside contracts. The water between the egg white and the shell makes it difficult for peeling due to 14 lb/sq in. of air pressure.

dcarch

If that were the case, taking the eggs out of the water while hot and letting them cool on the counter should give a similar result to steaming....plus even when you steam the egg the air in the egg expands, and then they're dropped in water to cool them, which would lead to sucking in water and ending up with a difficult to peel shell (if your theory were correct)...

Don't think that's the explanation.

dcarch

Don't think that's the right explanation. Glass plates are not held together by air pressure, they are held together by the cohesivness of water. If air pressure was the cause you wouldn't need the water.

Give me the proportions - I'll test the pH.

I learned of the technique on this thread, so no info for you.

Both Darienne and ScoopKW posted that they use baking soda, so may have proportions.

Tri2Cook posted this:

And when you guys talk about baking soda what is the ratio?

I use 1/2 cup salt and 2 tsp baking soda in a gallon of water but that's numbers I picked up from a recipe that requires peeling eggs that are still in a very delicate state well before hard boiled...

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I have been steaming eggs for years, ever since I stopped scoffing at my son for bringing home a microwave egg cooker. The eggs are shielded from microwaves by being sheathed in aluminum while holes in the bottom allow steam from the water you add to get to the eggs. The whole thing is shrouded in plastic and the eggs hard cook in about 8 minutes. They peel perfectly with no green ring around the yolks.

The only time I don't steam them is when I am doing more than the 4 the container holds. Then I still don't boil them but steep them in water that is removed from the heat as soon as the water starts boiling- with the eggs in the water. It is removed and covered and allowed to rest for around 15 minutes, then cooled and they are peeled- for deviled eggs. I believe this was the method originally used by Julia Child. This kind of egg also nearly always peels easily too... even fresh eggs... well not direct from the hen house fresh but so grocery store fresh that there is no air space between the white and shell.

I didn't find that salt made a difference in the way they peel. No need to find a better way when what I do is working.

Edit, a person I know was experimenting with ways to cook eggs so they would be hard cooked, peel easily and not have a green ring from being over cooked when I mentioned to him about the steaming method I used. He tried steaming them as illustrated in the Alton Brown link above and it worked well for him. Neither of us had heard of Alton Brown's method at the time. In fact it may have been before he aired this segment on TV.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Salting the water causes the proteins in both the thin, and thick albumin to coagulate. This makes them separate from the Inner shell membrane, making them easier to peel so they look nice, with no chunks missing. On a hard-boiled egg, it doesn't make that much difference, but it is really noticeable on a soft-boiled egg, as they are much more delicate.

On medium. to hard-boiled eggs, here is a restaurant trick to make your eggs peel clean and intact. When the eggs are boiled, place the whole pot under running cold water in the sink and leave them for 5 minutes or so. Instead of cracking the shell by banging it on the counter, lay the egg on the counter, apply gentle, even pressure, and roll it around on the table, allowing the shell to crack as it goes. Roll each surface of the egg on the counter. Now, all you have to do is start a small piece of the shell, and the whole thing will come off in one piece, more or less, leaving a nice, clean, intact egg.

Edited by Chef Joel (log)

I have never tried the baking soda trick because I have read several times that the eggs have a stronger sulfurous smell. And I have a strong aversion to that.

I always salt my water before boiling eggs as I was told that salting the water will help if the eggs are cracked (the white will coagulate faster and so less of it will escape the shell) and that salting the water will flavor the eggs. I have not tested it in any credible way but I instinctively feel it works so I keep doing it.

As for the ease of peeling: Ater cooking the eggs and submerging them in cold water for a while, I crack the shells all over with a small spoon (I tried the counter method but I was always too harsh on my eggs) and submerge them for a little longer. They peel easily.

Vlcatko

dcarch

If that were the case, taking the eggs out of the water while hot and letting them cool on the counter should give a similar result to steaming....plus even when you steam the egg the air in the egg expands, and then they're dropped in water to cool them, which would lead to sucking in water and ending up with a difficult to peel shell (if your theory were correct)...

Don't think that's the explanation.

Did this experiment today with four eggs from the same box. Seems to confirm my theory. But this experiment will need to be retried and tried by someone else before it can be determioned for the theory's validity.

dcarch

8b57bef5.jpg

I would imagine that one variable between the "cooled in water" and "cooled in air" eggs would be the more rapid cooling in water (conduction) than in air (convection) so the air-cooled eggs may have cooked a tiny bit more, resulting in a slightly more sturdy white that was easier to peel. Particularly if ice-water was used for cooling but even if the water was at ambient temp, there would still be a difference in cooling rate.

Actually this was the test conition:

1. The eggs were were steamed for a very long time, and boiled for a very long time to make sure that they all are very "hard boiled".

2. One steamed egg was cooled immediately in cold water.

3. One boiled egg was in boiling water and I let the boiling water with the egg cool to room temperature. It took the whole morning.

dcarch

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0007M2BN0

The microwave egg cooker is by Nordic. Here is a link and a picture. This method steams the eggs in the microwave in about 8 minutes.

Unknown-2.jpg

Here are some links to steaming eggs with a steamer basket

http://www.onegoodth...ut-boiling.html

http://whatscookingw...e-easy-to-peel/

http://www.kokoscorn...uaranteed-.html

They always (98% of the time) peel completely and easily for me whether. I peel them under cold running water as soon as they are cooked and cooled slightly. Soft boiled eggs are a little more delicate.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)