• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza-consumption idiosyncrasies

Fat Guy

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that has eaten cold pizza 'the morning after' while standing in front of an open fridge.

I'll see your morning-after fridge pizza and raise you a few morning-after kitchen table "it should still be fine" pizzas. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that has eaten cold pizza 'the morning after' while standing in front of an open fridge.

I'll see your morning-after fridge pizza and raise you a few morning-after kitchen table "it should still be fine" pizzas. :raz:

:laugh:

And while we're on the subject, ain't nothing wrong with cold left-over spaghetti, either. What is it about those cold tomato-based leftovers? Why do they taste so good the morning after? Somewhere, were the great gods of partying taking care of us? Did one of them say to the other, "But Bacchus, what nourishment will your acolytes take the next morning?'

To which Bacchus replied, "Don't worry. Behold the tomato."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I was never fond of ranch dressing, I find it bland and boring. I always preferred creamy Italian or blue cheese if selecting a creamy dressing. Overall, though, I tend to be a classic vinaigrette person for salads.

The butter idea sounds good, though.

The butter idea sounds good, though.

It is good.

Really good.

Too good.

In my case, it takes something fattening that I don't particularly like and don't care to eat (and God knows there is precious little that falls into that category) and turns it into something absolutely delicious, and something even more fattening, and something I cannot resist.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

What drives me nuts about people eating pizza with ranch dressing is that every time I have witnessed it, the people doing it have picked up a slice and immediately dunked the pointed end of the slice (the center of the pizza) into the ranch dressing without actually tasting the pizza first.

The only time I have ever seen anyone eat pizza dunked in ranch dressing was a few years ago when I was on jury duty. We were deliberating when we ordered lunch and one woman was adamant that she "needed" ranch dressing. She pretty much drowned her pizza in ranch. I can see eating the crusts like breadsticks dunked in ranch, okay, not really, but using ranch like a condiment was just weird to me.

What drives me nuts about people eating pizza with ranch dressing is that every time I have witnessed it, the people doing it have picked up a slice and immediately dunked the pointed end of the slice (the center of the pizza) into the ranch dressing without actually tasting the pizza first.

They may be doing it for different reasons than taste. I want to figure out how to go about doing a deep-fried salad. That with a side of ranch should be a goldmine.

"I'm trying to lose a few pounds so I just had a salad today."

What's that grease on your chin?

"Errr..." :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Doesn't fried salad = veg tempura? It does to my kids, anyway. :laugh:

Yeah, pretty much. Tempura a really cold wedge of iceberg and give it a quick fry maybe? :biggrin:

Would you put ketchup on a ribeye?

Ranch on pizza is a crime of bad taste even if its applied to dominos or shakeys or papa Johns or pizza hut. If one doesn't like pizza then just don't order it. Get a nice salad and put the ranch on that.

Seriously... if the pizza is so bad it needs ranch then why buy it?

I can answer that one.

Out here in the sticks, Pizza Hut is one of the only choices we have at work. Thus, ranch dressing helps a lot ;)

As Shelby points out, it's not like I'm doing this at some high-end NYC pizza joint: there is no reason at all for me to pre-taste that slice of Domino's pepperoni before dunking. I know what it tastes like, and I know it tastes better dipped in HV Ranch (which I would not describe as "bland"). But I like blue cheese dressing in this application as well.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Ok fine. No standards. Anything is ok. Right.

I have standards. The ranch must be Hidden Valley.

Hidden Valley homemade from powder, mayo and milk

Buttermilk.

If I'm eating less than wonderful pizza and feel the need to dunk it in something, I usually go for the Frank's Xtra Hot. Since there are no quality pizza places within several hours of where I live, unless I make it myself, I'm eating less than wonderful pizza. I have lines I won't drop below with my cooking, I'd like to claim those lines extend to my eating as well... but I'd be lying.

And while we're on the subject, ain't nothing wrong with cold left-over spaghetti, either. What is it about those cold tomato-based leftovers? Why do they taste so good the morning after? Somewhere, were the great gods of partying taking care of us? Did one of them say to the other, "But Bacchus, what nourishment will your acolytes take the next morning?'

How about a cold left-over spaghetti sandwich? My mom would make a sandwich out of cold left-overs like spaghetti or navy beans or potato salad, but in these instances always one slice of bread folded over. Mmm, carbs and carbs.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Is this still a pizza thread? Did I take a wrong turn down to Hades? Who dunks pizza in anything, let alone salad dressing? At first I thought the posters were kidding, but now I'm not so sure. Pizza with ranch, russian or any kind of dressing is one of the weirdest things I can imagine. I'm not a big fan of cold pizza (yes, there are those times in life when it is unavoidable or preferable to nothing at all) but even cold pizza deserves better than dunking.

I grew up in New York. I lived in New Mexico for a few years, and then moved to CA. I have never seen or heard of anyone in these three places dunking a slice of pizza. If this means I've lived a sheltered existence I admit I'm glad. Where in America is this custom practiced?

And as for eating the middle of the pizza but not the edges, eating only the middle of anything is kinda creepy, whether it be pizza or a sandwich. And wasteful. If you don't appreciate the crust, you must be eating lousy pizza. In which case I'm guessing it isn't so great in the middle, either.

Is this still a pizza thread? Did I take a wrong turn down to Hades? Who dunks pizza in anything, let alone salad dressing? At first I thought the posters were kidding, but now I'm not so sure. Pizza with ranch, russian or any kind of dressing is one of the weirdest things I can imagine. I'm not a big fan of cold pizza (yes, there are those times in life when it is unavoidable or preferable to nothing at all) but even cold pizza deserves better than dunking.

I grew up in New York. I lived in New Mexico for a few years, and then moved to CA. I have never seen or heard of anyone in these three places dunking a slice of pizza. If this means I've lived a sheltered existence I admit I'm glad. Where in America is this custom practiced?

And as for eating the middle of the pizza but not the edges, eating only the middle of anything is kinda creepy, whether it be pizza or a sandwich. And wasteful. If you don't appreciate the crust, you must be eating lousy pizza. In which case I'm guessing it isn't so great in the middle, either.

To each their own! I like the middle; the crust, not so much. But then, I am not big on bread in general. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy my pizza????

I am nominating this for one of eGullet's most silly threads of all time.

The way this debate is being cast is sort of fascinating in and of itself: the pizza "deserves" better than dunking? What does that mean? How does the pizza "deserve" anything at all? Hot pepperoni pizza dunked into cold ranch dressing tastes good, in my opinion. I like the temperature, texture, and taste combination. I don't even think it's that unusual: ranch dressing is a pretty common dip for that appetizer that consists of pepperoni baked inside of dough (does that have a name?). The addition of cheese and tomato sauce doesn't seem like that fundamental a change, as to render the dipping offensive.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Is this still a pizza thread?

Well, technically, according to the title and based on the initial post, it is a thread about unusual eating habits involving pizza. So, technically, "I only eat top-notch, fresh from the oven pizza in a conventional manner with nothing untraditional added" is kinda the misfit in this one. :raz:

Is it idiosyncratic to eat a couple bites from the point of the pizza (with knife & fork), rip off a chunk of crust and eat that, eat a bit more from the front, then the crust, and when one-third of pizza+crust is left, pick it up and finish it off? :raz:

How about a cold left-over spaghetti sandwich? My mom would make a sandwich out of cold left-overs like spaghetti or navy beans or potato salad, but in these instances always one slice of bread folded over. Mmm, carbs and carbs.

OMG How Japanese

Wawa Sizzli FTW!