• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

Albert Uster has sugar supplies and equipment as I recall, I think I bought some sugar blowing stuff to bring back for a friend when I was there - it's quite possible that they might be willing to let us into their lab and use the equipment - we'd split on the cost of the supplies required (or perhaps find a sponsor who would be willing to provide us with stuff). That way Lisa could teach without any additional cost incurred to her.

That would be great. Shipping off heat lamps, induction burners, pots, sheet pans, silpats, torches, toaster ovens, etc. is a pretty big project. The lab would be far easier to manage than doing a setup in the hotel. -And cleanup would be less of an issue as well.

That just dredged up the memory of car loads of stuff being packed up and driven the 45 minutes to Niagara College - which dredged up the memory of why I only do this every other year!

Sorry, didn't realize the complications involved. My original thought was that we might get a day at Albert Uster, like we had in 2009 and that they could show us how to do pulled sugar work. Little did I know that Lisa Shock (love her avatar picture) might be attending and that she could do a demo . That would be fabulous!

Mette - We would love to have you join us; truly, we are a group of people who enjoy sharing our experiences and knowledge with like minded folks. I'm still working/hoping on a "March" timeframe - more to follow in the near future. March is not to hot in this area that time of year and a good time for a visit.

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Lior - I am so hoping you'll be able to make it next year that I'm going to start buying lottery tickets for your airfare too -

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

Oh my gosh-you do know how hard it is to be on the maybe/wish list. I will fill out the lottery tickets!

I buy tickets weekly so if they ever produce much more than a free ticket I'll be helping with your air fare too! Love to meet you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That is so sweet and really made me smile!!! You know I would never be able to accept though!! If we win a lot we could use it for the workshop-no end of ideas!! Now I feel like a kid dividing up the future money that I am sure to win-I'll give mom and dad... my annoying brother will only get...

I would love to meet all of you and it will happen one day-I just know it.

I had so much fun in Canada last time so put me in the Pretty Definite category. 6 months is a little far out for planning for me but I'll be there if at all possible. I will have at least one class, possibly two, completed at the Callebaut Chocolate Academy in Chicago by then so I should have something to contribute this time:)

My class is in a couple of weeks so I will post when I get back and then have some ideas for topics but I always like the discussions on the business side things.

I've been MIA from here for far too long, thanks for the message Robert.

Gene; glad you are planning on joining us - for sure we'll have a great time

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

AnythingButPlainChocolate

You can put me down as a strong maybe...March is perfect for me.

Lisa, I'd split the cost of a hotel room with you if that would help out! Pulled sugar has always been my nemesis...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

I'm going to be working this week to (hopefully) nail down some specific dates for the conference so those of you in the Maybe - pending dates - column can begin to start to work towards a definite time frame.

Plus, those pending collecting their lottery winnings will be able to know how long they have to actually cash in their tickets...

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin