• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

A few questions regarding times/dates:

The conference is planned for the 17th and 18th? Is there anything planned for the 16th? During what hours? I am trying to decide whether to fly in on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Also, what should we bring? chocolates for everyone to taste? molds/chocolate/books? Any other equipment?

Our schedule at work is out so I am going to be in the "definite" category! (patti_h +1) Missed the deadline for the room but I will see if they will still allow me to book with the block rate.

I am definitely interested in decoration of molded chocolates, and not that I would ever use it, but chocolate showpieces! I am curious about flavoring chocolates, not just ganaches but the chocolate as well. (i.e. to make a chocolate bar flavored with earl grey tea). I am also curious about what to bring to share i.e. how much chocolate! I have a tabletop warmer, and an electric wheel/spout that I could bring if needed as I will be driving.

A few questions regarding times/dates:

The conference is planned for the 17th and 18th? Is there anything planned for the 16th? During what hours? I am trying to decide whether to fly in on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Also, what should we bring? chocolates for everyone to taste? molds/chocolate/books? Any other equipment?

I'll let Robert answer what will be going on the 16th - there is usually a field trip of some sort.

Friday evening we get together with the chocolates that we bring - drink some wine, taste each other's stuff. So bring 20 or 30 pieces of something you want to share. Some bring more, some bring less - not required but fun.

Never hurts to bring along a couple of molds, any books that you want other people to see.

Our schedule at work is out so I am going to be in the "definite" category! (patti_h +1) Missed the deadline for the room but I will see if they will still allow me to book with the block rate.

I am definitely interested in decoration of molded chocolates, and not that I would ever use it, but chocolate showpieces! I am curious about flavoring chocolates, not just ganaches but the chocolate as well. (i.e. to make a chocolate bar flavored with earl grey tea). I am also curious about what to bring to share i.e. how much chocolate! I have a tabletop warmer, and an electric wheel/spout that I could bring if needed as I will be driving.

It's great when people who are driving are able to bring equipment.

I'm back folks, enough down time.

I'll be updating this topic as things progress, and they should start quickly. I apologise if any of the following information is a repeat of previous posts. I'm still on Orlando time and I'm free flowing in my writing and not writing from previous notes.

As to Friday. In 2010 Albert Uster hosted us for the afternoon and did an amazing demo for us. I'm trying to arrange a similar afternoon for us there.

Friday evening we will be gathering at the hotel at which time we can enjoy each others company, enjoy a bottle or two of wine and share our enjoyment of chocolates. Those attending bring samples of their work and we pass the plates around and just relax and enjoy.

Saturday and Sunday will be at Stratford University-Potomac Mills Campus, 14349 Gideon Dr, Woodbridge, VA.

Joe Sofia from Wilbur Chocolates will be here providing instruction, guidance, wisdom and inspiration.

We are going to have a fantastic workshop on Chocolate Showpieces.

Saturday night, the school chef is going to prepare us an amazing meal.

Some of the topics you all have expressed interest in (and I'm going to spend the next day or two working on a schedule) include

Caramels

Toffee

Pate de Fruit

Molded Chocolates (and decorating techniques there on)

Interesting ganache flavors

Sugar Work

Chocolate Showpieces

Flavor Pairings

Dual fillings (pate and ganache)

Lagniappe

marshmallows

Yes, I'm coming, booked the room and the hotel

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

lironp

lebowits

patti_h (+1)

chocoera

Mette

Tikidoc +1

Sue Casey

LindaS

Pretty Definite Attendees

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

DianaM

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Carsondial

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

I'm going to be meeting with Stratford next week to go over the equipment they have available for our use. But, in the meantime, is there anyone coming who has equipment that they would be willing to let us use for the weekend?

I have:

a ACMC Tabletop tempering machine

a JKV-30 (if they have the proper power to use it and I can get someone to help me load it into the van)

a small Badger airbrush and compressor

a small panning machine

small caramel "pots" to make caramel in

We need molds if anyone is willing to bring some.

But, please let me know what you have and are willing to let the participants of the class use

I'm fairly new to the chocolate making but just picked up a few basic molds on sale at bakedeco.com. These are just the basic polycarbonate molds with 21 wells, not the magnetic ones. I'm driving up, so would be happy to bring them along if that's helpful. And for anyone looking for inexpensive molds, check this out. I got 4 molds shipped for about $60.

I haven't posted in a while as my life seems to have gone crazy. But I have approval from the Mr. to attend. (we have two little ones, so it's only fair to be nice and ask :biggrin: )

I live just north of woodbridge, so I'm happy to fill my car with what few pieces of equipment I have. I have molds, some texture sheets, a couple of transfer sheets, some powdered colors and other odds and ends.

I can also bring some pots and pans if necessary.

Oh, and I can cart the books I have as well.

I will bring my melter and wheel, it is the European version of Bakon. Not sure of the capacity but I think it can hold about 20 pounds of chocolate. I can bring molds, I only have six. As far as books I only have a couple and they're the basic ones. (so far!)

SO excited!!! Excited to meet y'all and to learn!!! And to shop at Albert Ulster!

Yes, I'm coming, booked the room and the airline

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

curls

Chocolot

gfron1

Gene

lironp

lebowits

patti_h (+1)

chocoera

Mette

Tikidoc +1

Sue Casey

LindaS

Pretty Definite Attendees

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

DianaM

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Carsondial

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

I'm really starting to look forward to this.

I will not be able to bring any equipment due to flying in (and I mostly have molds anyway - only a small hobby operation), but I can try to bring a couple of flavourings to play with not often seen in the US: Elderflower and black liquoric,e if anyone's interested.

What do we overall do for ingredients/raw materials?

I'll be arriving early evening Thursday, so if any help is needed on getting ready for Friday, I am happy to be of assistance. Anyone else staying Thursday night?

P.s. Suffering from performance anxiety for sample production - must not mess up temper, must not mess up temper, must not mess up temper (oh, well, the pics can always go in the (non-existent) thread: "Chocolates without that show-room finish" - and as the kids sweetly say: the important thing is the taste :rolleyes: )

Edited by Mette (log)

I'm really starting to look forward to this.

I will not be able to bring any equipment due to flying in (and I mostly have molds anyway - only a small hobby operation), but I can try to bring a couple of flavourings to play with not often seen in the US: Elderflower and black liquoric,e if anyone's interested.

What do we overall do for ingredients/raw materials?

I'll be arriving early evening Thursday, so if any help is needed on getting ready for Friday, I am happy to be of assistance. Anyone else staying Thursday night?

I'm just watching from the sidelines, now, but was hoping to read that you'd be bringing things representing those two flavours! For the liquorice, Johan Bülow, or?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Mette

I will be obtaining some ingredients for the hands on portions of the conference, and the addition of your Elderflower and black liquorice sound wonderful. If anyone else has specific ingredients that they would want to try and incorporate into confections I would encourage them to bring them, or let me know what they are and I can try and obtain them here locally.

During the 2010 conference, someone made a truffle with sun dried tomatoes and peppercorn - it was actually very delicious....

I have been collecting some different things to use as ingredients (if anyone wants to use them) - for experimentation. I am also trying to work with a couple of flavor ingredient companies to send us some samples of different things to try -

Also, please don't worry about your skill level or the "look" of your chocolates. No one is grading or judging anyone else. These conferences are for every skill and interest level. The hope is to continue to fire the interest in peoples desires to learn and to give everyone the chance to enhance not only their knowledge base but their skill sets as well. Everyone, no matter what their skill level, can learn something from someone else. Plus, the ability to network and develop those kinds of relationships is wonderful.

I have a bit of a reputation for finding bargains - and this week Canadian Tire has it's infrared thermometers (usually $99) on for $29.99 - plus the tax of course. This particular unit seems to work very well for chocolate.

If anyone wants me to grab them one - let me know. Need to know before Thursday when the sale ends.

I have a bit of a reputation for finding bargains - and this week Canadian Tire has it's infrared thermometers (usually $99) on for $29.99 - plus the tax of course. This particular unit seems to work very well for chocolate.

If anyone wants me to grab them one - let me know. Need to know before Thursday when the sale ends.

Kerry I would love to get a thermometer! Please let me know if you have a paypal account, I could go ahead and send you the money now.

Also, Mette- can you get Tonka bean? We can't get it in the US but it sounds very intriguing. I would love to try it out.

Another thing I am interested in learning from you all is how you market your chocolates. I am not very strong in that department!!!

P.s. Suffering from performance anxiety for sample production - must not mess up temper, must not mess up temper, must not mess up temper (oh, well, the pics can always go in the (non-existent) thread: "Chocolates without that show-room finish" - and as the kids sweetly say: the important thing is the taste :rolleyes: )

Ugh, me too. I haven't really ever GOT that showroom finish (newbie here, just bought my first molds), although I've made a few pretty tasty things. That's one reason I want to GO to this conference, to learn how to make them look halfway decent! So I'll overlook your imperfect chocolates if you overlook my downright ugly ones, deal? Maybe I'll just make English toffee, it's not expected to be beautiful...

Edited by tikidoc (log)

Kerry I would love to get a thermometer! Please let me know if you have a paypal account, I could go ahead and send you the money now.

Also, Mette- can you get Tonka bean? We can't get it in the US but it sounds very intriguing. I would love to try it out.

Another thing I am interested in learning from you all is how you market your chocolates. I am not very strong in that department!!!

Don't worry about payment - we can sort that in Washington.

I'm wondering if I can get Tonka beans here in Canada.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

This is sounding really awesome but I didn't bother chiming in with interest because there is absolutely no way I can get away from work during February and March. We have numerous multi-day hockey tournaments in town during those two months and the restaurants and hotels get absolutely slammed. Escape is not an option. I hope everybody has a great time though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

This is sounding really awesome but I didn't bother chiming in with interest because there is absolutely no way I can get away from work during February and March. We have numerous multi-day hockey tournaments in town during those two months and the restaurants and hotels get absolutely slammed. Escape is not an option. I hope everybody has a great time though.

Shame - cause if you could make it as far as Burlington you could drive down with me.