• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

lironp: so happy you'll be joining us, we truly do have a wonderful time and learn lots -

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

chocoera

Would anyone be interested in a chocolate showpiece workshop - Rob is willing to teach?

Here are a couple of his sculptures.

DiaDeMuertosSculpture.jpg

BikeSculpture.jpg

mysculpt5.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Would anyone be interested in a chocolate showpiece workshop - Rob is willing to teach?

. . . .

Good lord. YES.

For whatever my opinion is worth, given that I'm still in the 'interested maybe' category, pending the announcement of the probable date (and compounded by the fact that the Phila. 'Heartland' gathering is looking awfully, good, too, and there's no way we'd be able to do both).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Absolutely yes! Having taken a class at Callebaut (Chicago) early this year, I'm very excited at the thought of learning more technique.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 3 weeks later...

Did you all think because of my silence that I was blown out to sea with Hurricane Irene? Not so....

I've had several very interesting conversations with the Dean at Stratford University here in Northern Virginia. They are very interested in hosting us (conversations continue). If we are able to come to agreements, I was told that they have chocolate tempering machines and sugar equipment (which will help Lisa with her demonstration on Sugar).

They also have several chef's on staff who are often called upon by the White House to work on State Dinners and they may be willing to join us for some instruction.

Wilbur Chocolate and Joe Sofia have graciously offered to sponsor the conference once again, Joe would be happy to come down and spend a day with us, also teaching and guiding. I'll talk to him personally at the Chocolate Show in Atlantic City on September 12th.

There are lots more things happening behind the scenes, but I didn't want anyone to think this topic has fallen off the tracks.

It's shaping up nicely.

Okay RobertM you can put me down as a maybe...I have possible obligations next March that I'm not sure will conflict, but having read the thread on what you have planned, it sounds like it would definitely be worth my while! And I would love to meet all of those who are planning on attending!

The list is growing...

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

Just saw this topic and it sounds amazing. Please put me down as a maybe. Do we have to keep checking this forum or will there be periodic messages sent?

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Update:

I verified with Joe Sofia that he will be joining us in March (Courtesy of Joe and Wilbur Chocolate) to put on a demo and to assist with technical questions throughout the day.

I've contacted Stratford University again and have submitted a second detailed request for use of their facility, I will continue to pursue Stratford, and other locations in order to allow for firm date(s).

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

MarkIsComing

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned from last year not to be too enthusiastic this far out - I missed the people and events in 2011 a whole big bunch, so I very much want to come to 2012. I just don't know if I'll be able to manage.

Please put me down as a maybe. I still have the last 2 weekends in March wide open.

Here's to hoping!

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

I've learned from last year not to be too enthusiastic this far out - I missed the people and events in 2011 a whole big bunch, so I very much want to come to 2012. I just don't know if I'll be able to manage.

Please put me down as a maybe. I still have the last 2 weekends in March wide open.

Here's to hoping!

Pat

Hoping to see you in 2012 Pat! You were missed at the last meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to attend! DC is practically my back yard. is there any word on actual date yet? There's a big professional conference I typically attend in this general time frame, and I'm desperately hoping it won't conflict.

I am very excited to finally be able to tell you that Stratford University (http://www.stratford.edu/) has agreed to host the 2012 Confectioners Conference at the Woodbridge, VA campus. I'm still negotiating on dates to hold the even in March, the school wants to wait after their November staff meeting to sit down and actually firm up the dates. With that said, I was thinking of asking them for the weekend of March 17 and March 18, 2012. Not to late in the month, not to early.

There has been a great deal of interest in having a sugar demo during next years conference, according to one of the chef's I've been working with, Stratford has the equipment on hand to use for such a demo, I know that getting the equipment here to the DC area could have been an issue.

There are a number of hotels in the area, I'll be visiting them soon to begin negotiating for better room rates for those of you coming in from out of town.

Because we evidently have a few weeks before I can sit down and actually firm up the weekend plans, if anyone has any further needs, desires, equipment, etc., please let me know and I will do my best to incorporate that into the contract for the space.

I know that there are many of you out there who are looking ahead to make reservations, travel plans, vacation plans, I'm sorry that it's taken up to now to get the commitment. I'm hoping that things will flow much faster now that we have a commitment from the school to host the event.

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP