• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

I don't think anything or anyone can top the 2011 Confection Conference thanks to Kerry's outstanding organization skills but I do believe that it's time to begin planning and organizing the next conference dedicated to confections

My proposal is to convene in the Washington DC area (last time it was held in Gaithersburg, MD) location TBD once we can find a suitable space to accommodate us. Steve, the host organizer for the 2010 Conference has offered his assistance in obtaining the same venue should we decide that we want to go back and (hopefully) they would want us back.

We will work on the dates for the event, I know that some people have commitments to farmers markets and other shows and hopefully we can work on a schedule that will allow them to join us for the weekend.

I will also work with some of the hotels in the area to try and obtain some group discounts, I will post that information here when I am successful

Let's plan on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday again as that seems to work out well for people attending.

With that in mind, how about some thoughts on what people are interested in doing and learning next conference so we can start to come up with a plan.

We'll need everyone's generous assistance in different equipment needs. I have an American Chocolate Mold Co. tempering machine and just purchased a JKV-30 tempering machine that I could bring (if the venue has 220). I also have some other equipment such as an airbrush. We can discuss these needs as the dates get closer.

In the past we have had an amazing response from the industry in regards to providing samples for our use, I will continue to reach out to various confection supply houses and ask for their continued support.

Friday evening has typically been a group gathering with individuals bringing samples of their work to share with the group.

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE:

Dates: TBD

For the past 3 years we have run a DIY chocolate and confectionery conference for eG members and other interested folk. Everyone is welcome - no experience in chocolate or confectionery required - just a desire to learn and play.

Costs are shared between the participants so they are very reasonable. We put out a little breakfast and lunch on both the Saturday and Sunday.

Generally on the Friday we have some sort of outing. Year one - we crossed the border and visited Tomric Plastics to play on the Selmi enrober and have an opportunity to buy equipment and supplies. Year two - we went to Albert Uster and attended an excellent class covering a variety of pastry and confection topics. This year we also crossed the border for a tour of a confection company and another visit to Tomric.

Not sure what we will do this year - but I welcome suggestions.

On the Saturday evening we have a group meal - I will work on an appropriate venue for this as well - but how do you compete with this past years conference??? (I'm still reeling from it)

Previous conferences:

2011 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

2010 conference (Gaithersburg, MD)

2009 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

THIS EVENT HAS BEEN ORGANIZED THROUGH EG FORUMS BY MEMBERS BUT IS NOT SPONSORED BY THE EGULLET SOCIETY FOR CULINARY ARTS AND LETTERS OR EG FORUMS. YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY EVENT OR ACTIVITY ARRANGED ON OR DISCUSSED IN EG FORUMS IS AT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE RISK. BY USING AND PARTICIPATING IN THE FORUMS YOU AGREE AND UNDERSTAND (1) THAT IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY EVENT OR ACTIVITY, YOU MAY BE EXPOSED TO A VARIETY OF HAZARDS AND RISKS ARISING FROM THOSE ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS; (2) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO WAIVE, DISCHARGE CLAIMS, RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE SOCIETY, ITS AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AGENTS, AND OTHER PARTNERS AND EMPLOYEES, FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY ON ACCOUNT OF, OR IN ANY WAY RESULTING FROM INJURIES AND DAMAGES IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY SUCH EVENTS OR ACTIVITIES. YOU AGREE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THESE TERMS WILL BE BINDING UPON YOU AND YOUR HEIRS, EXECUTORS, AGENTS, ADMINISTRATORS AND ASSIGNS, AS WELL AS ANY GUESTS AND MINORS ACCOMPANYING YOU AT THE EVENTS.

Thanks for spearheading this, RobertM... assuming the dates work out my plus one and I will certainly attend again. One of the things I enjoyed most from our last gathering in the DC area was the huge selection of ingredients available to us to play around with for ganache flavors, and the discussion we had about flavor development. I'd love to see that sort of thing again. Any new decoration techniques that people are playing with are great to learn as well. And it might be beneficial to have a little time set aside for business-side discussions, since a lot of people in the group seem to either be heading in that direction, or have already done so and can provide advice.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Whenever for me - just let me know and I'll be there. Only reason for doing May up here was the weather is simply not reliable in March - but it's much nicer in DC then.

Put me down as a "maybe". Can't be sure until we work out dates and that date gets MUCH closer.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'll be watching this topic. I don't know if The Boss will let me go away by then. Maybe we'll all come.

Funny, I woke up thinking about you this morning. Hope we can all make it, especially The Boss! Congratulations on becoming an underling! (Maybe Otis will come, too?)

Curls; mkayahara and MelissaH - the instructing is mostly done by other attendee's, to try and keep costs down as much as possible; Sometimes, as was the case this year, the time of the professional was donated. I'm going to see if the Corporate instructor from Wilbur Chocolate can come down and spend a day with us. If everyone is in agreement as to wanting a pulled sugar session, is there anyone on eGullet that would like to take this on? I can contact some of the professional instructors in confectionery and see what a cost would be....thoughts? I know a couple of them, one or two are amazing people with a wealth of knowledge, but it all boils down to what we're willing to pay?

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

If I can get there, I can teach pulled sugar. I wouldn't charge.

My only issue right now is that I'm only working part-time and money is really tight for me. And, I live in Arizona, so driving to the event would not really be possible, too many days lost from work. If I could get a little help with a ticket, or the hotel room, it would be greatly appreciated, and help cement my plans.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)

Ok, I wanted to attend anyway. The deal is, teaching sugar would involve shipping supplies and equipment out, plus ingredients. Those are extra expenses I wouldn't incur as an attendee, and could easily cost as much as the airfare. While I might be able to simply attend, adding several hundred dollars onto the bill to teach would probably make it unworkable for me.

You're correct, it's volunteer based. The fees that we collect are for the use of the space (Niagara-on-the-Lake) or the Culinary School and to assist in the off-set of any ingredients that we had to purchase for use in the "labs"

I was trying to suggest that if we wanted to all pay for a professional instructor (and couldn't find a volunteer) than I would do my best to find one.

I personally like the idea of trying to keep this volunteer and using the combined knowledge and experience of eGullet members to move us all forward in our skills

Albert Uster has sugar supplies and equipment as I recall, I think I bought some sugar blowing stuff to bring back for a friend when I was there - it's quite possible that they might be willing to let us into their lab and use the equipment - we'd split on the cost of the supplies required (or perhaps find a sponsor who would be willing to provide us with stuff). That way Lisa could teach without any additional cost incurred to her.