• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

Time to resurrect the conference thread

I'm happy to tell you that I have a group rate established at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Woodbridge, VA. The hotel is about 1 1/2 miles from Stratford University. It's a brand new hotel, it opened a few months ago, the rooms are lovely and spacious.

We also have access to their Great Room off of the Lobby area for our meet and greet on Friday night (they just asked that we keep any wine consumption inconspicuous).

The room rate is $109.00/night (American)and includes a very nice breakfast buffet.

I will be signing the agreement later this week, and will post when I do so you can call and make your reservations, along with the telephone numbers to do so.

Joe Sofia from Wilbur Chocolate has committed to joining us and is thrilled to be with us.

Please let me know what you, as participants, would like to see/learn.

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Maybe

mjx +1 (Still in Dangling Mode)

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

MarkIsComing

patti_h (+1)

Carsondial

Kevin Liu

Ruth Wells

Can't Make it

Lisa Shock

Time to resurrect the conference thread

I'm happy to tell you that I have a group rate established at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Woodbridge, VA. The hotel is about 1 1/2 miles from Stratford University. It's a brand new hotel, it opened a few months ago, the rooms are lovely and spacious.

We also have access to their Great Room off of the Lobby area for our meet and greet on Friday night (they just asked that we keep any wine consumption inconspicuous).

The room rate is $109.00/night (American)and includes a very nice breakfast buffet.

I will be signing the agreement later this week, and will post when I do so you can call and make your reservations, along with the telephone numbers to do so.

Joe Sofia from Wilbur Chocolate has committed to joining us and is thrilled to be with us.

Please let me know what you, as participants, would like to see/learn.

Bob, thanks for the update! Great that Joe Sofia from Wilbur Chocolate is going to join us.

Is Rob Connoley / Gfron1 still planning to do a chocolate showpiece demo / workshop? Definitely would like to learn more about chocolate showpieces and sugarwork. Also hoping some folks will be able to bring their airbrushes this year; I would like to try doing some more with airbrushing colored cocoa butter.

Gfron1? The floor is yours to comment

For certain I will have my airbrush there, does anyone else have one they can bring?

Since gfron1 is not in a position to comment - the following is what he has to say -

"I'd be happy to do a demo or hands-on for showpieces. But I do want to make sure that there's enough interest and not just me pushing my passion. If there is interest I would suggest tying it all in with tempering and airbrushing. And ultimately the key is to have enough tempered chocolate to work with. I'm going to finalize my travel so I can make the 100% commitment this weekend. Looking forward to meeting everyone."

I have arranged for a block of rooms to be held for the conference at the Springhill Suites (Marriott) at 14325 Crossing Place, Woodbridge, VA 22192. The hotel is 23 miles from Washington National (Reagan) Airport; 38 miles from Dulles Airport and 59 miles from Baltimore Washington Thurgood Marshall Airport.

The room rate is $109.00 per night plus tax.

This is a brand new hotel (it just opened in August 2011). The have also offered us use of their Great Room on Friday night for our usual get together and sharing of our work.

The rooms have either a King or 2 Queen beds and a sitting area with a sleep sofa (in each room); microwave and refrigerator in room. All suites are individual/private sleeping rooms. The hotel has an on-site garage and outdoor parking. Included is a Hot Suite Breakfast Buffet; complimentary high speed internet (wired and wireless); complimantary hotel shuttle; use of fitness center and pool.

The hotel is approximately 2 1/2 miles from Stratford University.

Reservations must be made by February 12, 2012, at 1-866-698-5007, or 1-703-576-9000, please mention the eGullet Confection Conference to obtain the rate.

Gfron1? The floor is yours to comment

For certain I will have my airbrush there, does anyone else have one they can bring?

I should be able to bring my compressor and air brush too.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Hi Robert

I really enjoyed my first Candy Conference in Niagara on the Lake last year. Please add me to the Pretty Definite will attend the Virginia conference. Looking forward to seeing those from last year and meeting new chocolate aficionados. :)

Edited by Sue Casey (log)

I spent some wonderful time with Chef Huebner at Stratford today and things are looking truly wonderful for the conference.

Stratford has given us a wonderful rate for the conference. Depending on the total number of those attending, I'm estimating the conference will cost approx $125 to $150 per person for Saturday and Sunday (not including rooms at the Marriott). The cost above includes breakfast and lunch each day.

Stratford has offered to prepare us a meal for our Saturday night "feast". I've also contacted a local country club, told them about us and they would also love to host us for the evening. I'm asking everyone to please let me know which you would prefer, Stratford Chefs preparing dinner or the Country Club. Not to try and sway anyone, but I would vote for the Stratford chefs (for a variety of reasons, it provides the students an excellent opportunity to plan a meal, prep, cook, etc; while we would be charged a 20% gratuity, that amount would be put into the school's scholarship fund for the participating students helpers; after a long day in the kitchen it would be nice to not have to get all dressed up to go to the country club - dinner is right there down the hall)

We are also working with several options for Friday, Albert Uster has been contacted to see if they would like to host us as they did in 2010 and I have asked Chef Huebner if she would think about considering hosting us for Friday afternoon as an extra add-on to the weekend. The events are still unfolding and as they develop, I'll post the information here.

Stratford has some confectionery equipment that we can use, they have at least one melter/temperer, scales, and a hot box for sugar (if we're lucky enough to find someone to do a demo); as well as scrapers, spatula's, etc.

I will bring my table top ACMC; I will bring my Hilliard vibrating table; I'll try and bring my JKV-30 (it's big and bulky to move - I'll TRY); what we do need are people to volunteer to bring molds (but PLEASE put your name on them); Steve is going to bring his new airbrush/compressor and I will bring mine as well, and the list can go on, so please let me know what other equipment you think we may need.

I'm still looking for input on the types of things people want to learn so we can work with Joe Sofia -

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Sue Casey

lebowitz

Maybe

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

MarkIsComing

patti_h (+1)

Carsondial

Kevin Liu

Ruth Wells

LindaS

Can't Make it

Lisa Shock

It's looking like I'm not going to be able to make it this year (sadly) as my little one is due within the net 2 weeks and my other half has just been told he's going to be made redundant, so we're going to be very cash strapped (and in my case also very tired!).

I would have loved to come along, but it looks like I'll have to save the pennies and try for next years conference (hopefully hubby can look after the little ones and I'll grab a flight).

Sian

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Topics people have told me they are very interested in

Caramel(s)

Toffee

Pate de Fruit

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Sue Casey

lebowitz

Maybe

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

MarkIsComing

patti_h (+1)

Carsondial

Kevin Liu

Ruth Wells

LindaS

Can't Make it

Lisa Shock

2012 Candy and Confectioners Conference Topics of interest

Caramel(s)

Toffee

Pate de Fruit

molded chocolates

interesting ganache flavors

sugar work

chocolate showpieces

decorating molded chocolates

I'm on the 'will do my best to come'-list, but still need to find out about Vegas for work the previous week. If the still maybes can wish for topics: working with coloured cocoa butter for moulding (low tech), interestong flavours, and matching coverture with filling/flavour profiling of shell and filling

Edited by Mette (log)

Forwarding a request from gfron1 -

Flavor pairings - specifically, we all have our favorite chocolates and couvetures, let's share flavor profiles and pairings

Finishing decorations

Dual fillings - ie pate & ganache

and not really topics, but lagniappe:

bring our favorite chocolate books (unless they are the obvious of Wybauw, etc)

bring ## of our own chocolates to share and we can all bring home a box of one of everyones - good chance to build some boxes to thank school, hotel, etc

2012 Candy and Confectioners Conference Topics of interest

Caramel(s)

Toffee

Pate de Fruit

molded chocolates

interesting ganache flavors

Flavor pairings

sugar work

chocolate showpieces

decorating molded chocolates

working with coloured cocoa butter

Finishing decorations

matching coverture with filling/flavour profiling of shell and filling

Dual fillings - ie pate & ganache

From Bean-to-Bar

Remedial hand Dipping lessons for Bob

Absolutely wonderful ideas.

I have some very old confectioners books I would be happy to bring and allow people to copy specific formulas if they wish.

I'm assuming the boxes to share is in addition to the one's we typically share Friday night? I also think that is a wonderful concept. I'll be happy to increase the numbers I make and bring along additional samples.

I am going to be out of town for a while, but I will have my phone and access to everyone's posts. If I'm quiet here, please don't think this is being forgotten.

I'm going to contact Joe and see if he will tackle several of these topics for us -