• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

That is really made of CHOCOLATE??? Amazing.

My list for things to bring: molds, liqueurs, air brush/compressor (so I can learn how to use the darn thing), a couple books, tonga beans I picked up on Amazon in response to this thread, sample candies and WINE. I'm fairly local and driving up, is there anything else that would be helpful? I work about 15 minutes from a Penzeys, if there are any spices that anyone has been itching to try in a chocolate. I'll try to roast an extra pound or so of coffee this weekend and bring that up too.

Jess

Yes, I'm coming, booked the room and transportation

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

curls (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

gfron1

lironp

lebowits (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

patti_h (+1)

chocoera (+1)

Mette

Tikidoc (+1)

Sue Casey

LindaS

Viktoria

Sarahdwyer

Prabha

Fran

Kathy

Sandy

Susanmc

Friday (Daytime activity)

Kerry Beal

curls

Mette

Chocolot

Viktoria

Pretty Definite Attendees

Robdoc000

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

MariaP

DianaM

Gene

Carsondial (+1)

Edited by RobertM (log)

Hi, I won't be able to make it this year, I had my little one the end of January and my body (and sleep patterns) hasn't recovered enough yet for a transatlantic flight sadly. I would love to be there this year, but hopefully next year will be more do-able for me, I might drag all the boys along (inc hubby) on the pretence of a holiday at the same time (or get my company to pay for a "conference"). I look forward to reading all about the conference though!

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

gfron1

lironp

patti_h (+1)

chocoera (+1)

Mette

Tikidoc (+1)

Sue Casey

LindaS

Viktoria

Sarahdwyer

Prabha

Fran

Kathy

Sandy (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

Susanmc (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

Kerry Beal

curls

Mette

Chocolot

Viktoria

Robdoc000

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

MariaP

DianaM

Gene

Carsondial (+1)

Hi Robert

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the conference. I will miss your caramel demonstration :( I really enjoyed the demo you did last year. Hopefully all the good folks who are going will take lots of pics/videos of the conference so I can live vicariously through them :)

To all who are attending, have a wonderful time - you'll really enjoy it.

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

gfron1

lironp

patti_h (+1)

chocoera (+1)

Mette

Tikidoc (+1)

LindaS

Viktoria

Sarahdwyer

Prabha

Fran

Kathy

Sandy (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

Susanmc (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

Kerry Beal

curls

Mette

Chocolot

Viktoria

Robdoc000

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

MariaP

DianaM

Gene

Carsondial (+1)

Sue Casey

bob, don't suppose you can summarize the conference in one post so we don't have to try to flip through multiple pages to figure out whats going on can you? :) ex: what's going on friday, who needs to meet where at what time(s)? same for sat/sun (just general time frames of course) so people like me, who like to print off all her information before flying, feels slightly organized. you don't need to go over what class times we're doing what demos/lectures etc, just an approx time frame, room number and what not, especially since i'm not sure what's going on friday afternoon and/or pm? as well as what time sat dinner is? and any specific dress code for anything? i remember one year we went out to eat and it was best if we didn't wear work clothes for that particular outing. thanks so much! can't wait to see you!

Curls set up Friday; I will ask her to fill in those details.

Friday dinner is at East Moon Asian Bistro (see above)- parking is limited so carpooling is encouraged. I will be there ~6:00 and then head over to the Mariott Sprinhill Suites to relax, meet everyone, have some wine; renew old friendships; have some chocolates and enjoy some wine (yes; I said it twice)

Stratford University 14349 Gideon Drive; Woodbridge, VA at 8:30 Saturday; Stratford is supplying lunch

I expect we will go until ~5:00

I will put up signs where to go; but we will be on the 3rd floor

I haven't heard from the chef as to what time dinner will be served; but we will eat at the school; dress code is jeans or whatever is comfortable

Anyone wishing beer/wine, etc with dinner should plan on bringing that with them

Sunday we will start again at 8:30. I know many people need to leave early to make plane reservations home; but we have enough to go all day as well, or until everyone leaves to go home

I'm working on my phone; I hope I hit what you were looking for; if not let me know....

Bob

Kerri- hate to ask you to put something else into your pile, but if your isi whip is small, I would love to see you make an aerated chocolate!

I am pretty sure I have grand marnier so I will bring that along. I also have a 3/4 size shoe mold (from Tomric) so I will bring it along as well.

I made some cacao nib nougatine the other day so I will bring some of that too.

I am SO EXCITED for the conference!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!!! Hope no one minds my chocolates with the backroom finish- I promise they taste yummy!

I have an ISI whip packed for aerated chocolates - no worries

Good - cause I'm already here - and I took a cream siphon out of the trunk of the car before I left home.

Do to a series of interesting events, the Friday pre-dinner event is a bit different from other years. Since it looked like we had a small group and one large SUV to travel around with, we put our heads together and came up with a tour of interesting sites to visit in Maryland, DC and Virginia. There are two more seats available in the SUV and others can follow along if they can provide their own transportation.

Based on the interests of the group and the driving route that may be the most logical, we concocted the following plan:

So, who would like to join us? Either reply here or locate Kerry, Ruth, or Mette Friday morning to claim the last two SUV seats or to follow along. I can bring extra copies of the locations and their addresses if anyone will be joining us in a separate vehicle.

Edited by curls (log)

Do to a series of interesting events, the Friday pre-dinner event is a bit different from other years. Since it looked like we had a small group and one large SUV to travel around with, we put our heads together and came up with a tour of interesting sites to visit in Maryland, DC and Virginia. There are two more seats available in the SUV and others can follow along if they can provide their own transportation.

Based on the interests of the group and the driving route that may be the most logical, we concocted the following plan:

So, who would like to join us? Either reply here or locate Kerry, Ruth, or Mette Friday morning to claim the last two SUV seats or to follow along. I can bring extra copies of the locations and their addresses if anyone will be joining us in a separate vehicle.

I'm so jealous that I can't make it! Hopefully next year! On a side note, I saw you're planning on going to Cowgirl Creamery on Friday, and I just went to their shop in the San Fran Ferry Building last weekend. Amazing cheeses! I highly recommend the wagon wheel and mt. tam, both quite delicious. I hope you all have a fantastic time, and hope to see a full report on here on how it goes! Have fun!

Friday looks like a great day! Also the cherry blossoms should be appearing with this warm weather. Wish I could join you but will see everyone on Saturday.

Susan

Sorry you won't be able to join us but thank you for reminding me about the cherry blossoms. Hopefully we will be able to swing by the tidal basin or Haines Point.