• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Eman57

What do you put on your pancakes?

Realized the other day while at breakfast that all pancake toppings are not created equal. Now i pose the question what do you put on your pancakes? Personaly i load up with butter and either fruit flavored syrup or jam.

Normally I put a pat of butter and maple syrup on my pancakes. I had some the other day, though, and I put on some home-made blueberry conserve that someone had given me and it was delicious. I grew up eating pancakes sprinkled with granulated sugar, and I still occasionally eat them this way. Mostly, though, it's maple syrup and butter.

I alternate between honey (tried it after reading about it in a novel. It's very good), maple, or jam/jelly. I tried molassis once, that was interesting. I don't like a lot of the sweet stuff on it though. Always use butter. Only use fruit or other flavored syrups if I ended up at IHOP.

Never use butter - I honestly can't taste the difference without it and don't need the extra calories (I also don't butter toast if I'm going to use jam). Real maple syrup. Toast dope, if I have some.

My wife's family used to top them with plain white sugar, then roll it up like a burrito - it's actually not bad. They would also sometimes wrap pancakes around chuncks of cheddar cheese - also not as bad as you would assume.

Personally, I often eat them plain. Or with just a small amount of syrup (real or fake). I LIKE butter, but try to be healthier and not add it.

Depends: if homemade, nothing at all (not out of any sense of purity or something, I just like the way they taste plain). If out, either butter, or if available, maple syrup (NOT "maple"-flavored corn syrup!).

I make homemade for the kids about every other weekend or so. If I eat them I just eat them plain, my anti-sweet tooth thing.

Oldest daughter loves them with peanut butter. Youngest daughter with a half a ton of syrup. Preferably the HCFS kind.

It really varies for me. My go to is real maple syrup. Lately I have been using some recently homemade dulce de leche which has the consistency of maple syrup. Occasionally, if we have good jam or preserves we will use those as well.

Of course, the first pancake I eat warm untopped. I have to test the quality :wink:.

Edited by avaserfi (log)

My husband makes pancakes the way I like them -- really thin, almost like crepes (Basically he doubles the amount of milk in a standard batch of batter). I'm like TheNoodleIncident's wife -- I sprinkle them with granulated sugar and cinnamon, and roll them up like a cigar. That said, I've got homemade black raspberry syrup that is also damn good on pancakes...

In summer I take whatever soft fruit looks best, chop or purée, add sugar and heat. Right now in Philadelphia my choice would be either blue or raspberries. Or I'd pit some pie cherries which have no more than one or two weeks more before the season is over.

In summer I take whatever soft fruit looks best, chop or purée, add sugar and heat. Right now in Philadelphia my choice would be either blue or raspberries. Or I'd pit some pie cherries which have no more than one or two weeks more before the season is over.

I love making fruit compote to top my pancakes. And I'll use whatever is on hand. If I don't have a suitable fruit, face it watermelon won't work well, I use honey or jam.

I roll either mu shu or roast duck IN my pancakes, thank you. Hoisin is my topping of choice.

No butter, real maple syrup. Or sliced fruit AND maple syrup. My mom, depression-era housewife that she was, used to make brown sugar syrup with butter and vanilla that was real good, as I recall, but I haven't had it in a thousand years. Would try it but low-carb diets and pancakes and syrup don't go together very often.

My dad was a big proponent of sugaring pancakes, but my favorite way of his was to spread with butter then top with a thick blanket of brown sugar. Very crunchy and sweet. Yum.

I find maple syrup alone to be much too sweet, albeit delicious, but if I have no other options I'll use it sparingly.

I've always preferred some sort of high-quality fruit preserves, compote, or jam on my pancakes. After our one and only trip to the highly anticipated, poorly executed, and short-lived Permanent Brunch, where I had pancakes with creme fraiche and plum compote, I've since enjoyed adding creme fraiche or sour cream along with the fruit preserves or compote.

A little butter and real maple syrup. B grade, not Fancy A. I prefer the dark, almost toasted, taste. In a pinch, strawberry preserves. I've found myself ordering or making pancakes just because I wanted maple syrup, not to mention bacon (belly or Canadian) in the syrup. Unfortunately I find restaurant pancakes too fluffy. I like them a little dense with crisp edges. Next time I might just get an order of bacon and ask for some maple syrup. And I have been known to smuggle in a little bottle of syrup if I know we're going to a place that only serves the fake stuff.

Maple D when I can get it but its rare. or a little dark B

butter.

and sometimes I put sliced bananas in the batter.

but maple s. is rediculously expensive now.

Ok, I'll own up to it: I like Mrs. Butterworth's.

Maple is good when we're out, or when I'm eating with the in-laws, who might mock my true preferences. If I have some appropritely loosely-set preserves on hand, I might use them, too. But when I need really soul-satisfying comfort-food pancakes, it's Mrs. Butterworth. I blame my mother (maple syrup never crossed our threshold: too expensive).

A little butter and real maple syrup. B grade, not Fancy A. I prefer the dark, almost toasted, taste. In a pinch, strawberry preserves. I've found myself ordering or making pancakes just because I wanted maple syrup, not to mention bacon (belly or Canadian) in the syrup. Unfortunately I find restaurant pancakes too fluffy. I like them a little dense with crisp edges. Next time I might just get an order of bacon and ask for some maple syrup. And I have been known to smuggle in a little bottle of syrup if I know we're going to a place that only serves the fake stuff.

Yes. Exactly. Yes yes yes.

And also, I really don't like adding any sort of fruit preserve/jam on top, but LOVE blueberries or bananas cooked into the pancake. I'll use even less, if any, syrup in that situation. And banana choclate chip pancakes with peanut butter on top are awesome.

Fresh-made blueberry syrup! My husband buys a dozen pints of blueberries every June and freezes them. Then I make fresh blueberry syrup every time we have pancakes -- alternate Saturday mornings -- from about 2 cups of frozen blueberries. If there's some left over, it gets frozen for the next time. And we have a tiny freezer but he's good at cramming them in.

Second choice is real maple syrup.

Maple syrup for regular griddle cakes. Often over crumbled crisp bacon, no butter.

Sorghum molasses mashed into soft butter for buckwheat or corn griddle cakes.

For the thinner "Swedish" pancakes or similar (not quite crepes), currant jelly, strawberry jam, etc.

For oven pancakes - Dutch Baby - puffy types, apple compote with cinnamon and sometimes mixed berry compote.

For "flannel cakes" it has to be apple butter or pumpkin butter topped with toasted pecans.

regular 'murcan style pancakes: grated cheddar cheese or maple syrup or homemade strawberry/Gran Marnier sauce, or lots of butter w powdered sugar

dutchbabies - lemon and powdered sugar

i grew up with molasses drizzled on both pancakes and waffles. husband grew up with "pancake syrup" on his. we have now come to the middle with one of several options:

true maple syrup grade b

use above and poach some blueberries in it

some margarine(husband can't eat butter) and toast dope

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      BANOFFE - MY DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

This year, mischievous nature tried to upset my daughter's birthday plans. Spending your birthday in bed with a thermometer isn't an excellent idea ¬– even for an adult. For a teenager it is a drama comparable to cancelled holidays. My daughter told me that you are thirteen only once. And she was right. Literally and figuratively.

I wanted to sugar the pill for her on this day and cheer her up for a bit, so I prepared a caramel cake with bananas – banoffee in the form of a small birthday cake. My sweet magic and the dinner from her favourite restaurant worked, and in the end her birthday was quite nice.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin):
      150g of biscuits
      75g of butter
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of caster sugar
      2 bananas
      300g of fudge
      1 teaspoon of dark cocoa

Break the biscuits into very small pieces or blend them. Melt the butter and mix it up with the biscuits until you have dough like wet sand. Put it into a cake tin and form the base. It is worth rolling it flat with a glass. Leave it in the fridge for one hour. Spread the biscuit layer with fudge and arrange the sliced bananas on top. Whisk the chilled sweet cream with the caster sugar. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix it in. Put the mixture onto the bananas and make it even. Sprinkle with the dark cocoa and decorate as you like. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours (best for the whole night).

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      COURGETTE MUFFINS WITH LEMON

Since I found the recipe for courgette muffins with lemon on the Polish blog gotujzcukiereczkiem I decided to prepare them. My children looked at the ingredients with surprise. Courgette and cakes don't go together well. The argument that they add caster sugar to the courgette pancakes didn't convince them. The muffins reminded my husband of the lemon cake his grandma used to prepare many years ago. I just liked them. They were short lived, because they disappeared in no time, slightly lemony, moist and not too sweet. They were perfect.

If I didn't know they had courgette in them, I would never believe it. Try it, because it is worth it.

Ingredients (for 12 muffins)
      muffins
      200g of flour
      a pinch of salt
      half a teaspoon of baking soda
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      150g of sugar
      peel from one lemon
      a tablespoon of lemon juice
      2 eggs
      150ml of oil
      a teaspoon of vanilla essence
      a teaspoon of lemon essence
      210g of grated courgette
      icing:
      3 tablespoons of milk
      10 tablespoons of caster sugar
      1 teaspoon of lemon essence

Heat the oven up to 170C. Put some paper muffin moulds into the "dimples" of a baking pan for muffins.
      Mix together the dry ingredients of the muffins: flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix together the sugar and lemon peel in a separate bowl. Add the eggs, oil, lemon juice and both essences. Mix them in. Add the dry ingredients and mix them in. Grate the unpeeled courgette, don't squeeze and don't pour away the liquid. Add the courgette to the dough and mix it in. Put the dough into some paper muffin moulds. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Now prepare the icing. Mix the milk with the caster sugar and lemon essence. Decorate the muffins with the lemon icing.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      125g of cuscus
      400ml of almond milk
      1 tablespoon of honey
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      2 slices of fresh pineapple
      1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
      150g of fresh cranberries
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 banana
      4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Wash the cranberries and put them into a pot. Add two tablespoons of water and the brown sugar. Boil, stirring gently until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened. Boil the almond milk with the vanilla essence. Pour the milk onto the cuscus and leave for 5-7 minutes. Slice the banana and roast the almond flakes. Peel the pineapple and dice it. Mix the pineapple, chili pepper and honey. Add the pineapple to the cuscus and mix it in. Put the mixture into two bowls. Put the cranberries and banana on the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.

Enjoy your meal!