• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Sonic Drive-In

SOOOO......pickle slushies are now available.  Anyone near a Sonic and want to take one for the team?  I would but the nearest one for me is in Totowa...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suzilightning said:

SOOOO......pickle slushies are now available.  Anyone near a Sonic and want to take one for the team?  I would but the nearest one for me is in Totowa...

I would too— I don’t get why one hasn’t come to Morris County yet. I almost want to franchise one. 

• Like 1

Ahhh, Sonic, that paragon of Southern drive-in cuisine. You will occasionally find one down here that sells Koolickles. Get a big gallon jug of kosher dills at the supermarket. Pour off the brine. Make up a half-gallon of cherry KoolAid. Pour over pickles. Let sit at least overnight in the fridge; better if you wait two or three days.

If I had a dollar for every one of these I'd eaten or bought the kids at the ballpark concession stand...

There are 3 Sonics within 12 miles of my office, but kind of out of the way from my normal commute. Pickle slushie may only be palatable if tequila is added.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am heading to Eureka in the morning and a pickle juice slushie is on my to-do list, I have been waiting not too patiently for this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, Sonic pickle juice slushes, got one today and after about three sips of it, gave it to Chris. The sweet slush base was fighting with what was supposed to be pickle juice flavor, and it was horrible. It smelled like pickles but when I tried it, it tasted more like lime with an extra heavy dose of citric acid thrown in. I was so looking forward to this, but I think I will stick with my pickle juice ice pops I buy. Bleh.

35333150_10156602775946617_4009533939990396928_n (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Mysstwalker said:

Ok, Sonic pickle juice slushes, got one today and after about three sips of it, gave it to Chris. The sweet slush base was fighting with what was supposed to be pickle juice flavor, and it was horrible. It smelled like pickles but when I tried it, it tasted more like lime with an extra heavy dose of citric acid thrown in. I was so looking forward to this, but I think I will stick with my pickle juice ice pops I buy. Bleh.

35333150_10156602775946617_4009533939990396928_n (2).jpg

Well, dang, that's disappointing.  Thanks for taking one for the team.

• Like 2

I am ashamed to admit it, but the only time I went to a Sonic was in Las Vegas. I walked down there while Deb was asleep. I saw no menu, no instructions and could not figure out how to do it. I saw that there were people inside working, people outside in cars eating burgers, but just could not make it happen. I like to think of myself as a pretty resourceful person, but just walked away knowing that In & out burger was our next stop.

HC

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I am ashamed to admit it, but the only time I went to a Sonic was in Las Vegas. I walked down there while Deb was asleep. I saw no menu, no instructions and could not figure out how to do it. I saw that there were people inside working, people outside in cars eating burgers, but just could not make it happen. I like to think of myself as a pretty resourceful person, but just walked away knowing that In & out burger was our next stop.

HC

There are menus next to where you saw the people in the parked cars eating.  You roll your window down and push a red button on the menu boards to order.    Some Sonics also have a drive-through.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

There are menus next to where you saw the people in the parked cars eating.  You roll your window down and push a red button on the menu boards to order.    Some Sonics also have a drive-through.

And in the "food court" area where they have outdoor tables, there should be a single menu board with the same red button @Shelby mentioned for walk-up orders.

• Like 1