• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crostini/Bruschetta Ideas Needed Please

jvalentino

4 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Chicken liver truffle mousse pâté (Trader Joe’s) with homemade red onion & sherry marmalade

Great use of that TJ's pâté!  Now, I must go over to the preserving threads to see if you've shared that onion and sherry marmalade - sounds amazing!

One more from Polpo, White Bean Crostini made with one of my favorites, Rancho Gordo Alubia Blanca beans. 

IMG_9135.thumb.jpg.d8838029448d72f7103dd5a3e061fd6e.jpg
This one could also be called, "beans on beans on toast," as half the beans get turned into a simple but "fluffy" purée and the rest are marinated with olive oil, lemon juice & zest, garlic and parsley, then spooned over top of the purée.

• Like 9

No photos, but one I put together once when I needed an app and had little on hand to work with involved queso fresco, slices of tamale, and ranchero sauce. Pretty good!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Found a photo of the boursin/cranberry chutney/tenderloin things.

I've come to see the cranberry as messy looking and now put it under the beef

Serve it warm.

One of the biggest revelations of recent times is warm or hot boursin.  Try it on French fries.

• Like 1

Two more crostini from Polpo.

Chopped Chicken Liver Crostini 

IMG_9192.thumb.jpg.80b1172ac0a3bafe5f14863999116c31.jpg

Compared with other chopped liver recipes I've seen, this one uses shallots and garlic instead of onion and olive oil instead of schmaltz but otherwise the method is similar, including the usual hard boiled egg. Both port and brandy are added at the end of cooking. The recipe recommends to process until just combined but not too smooth so I stopped before I normally might.  I served this on slices of sonora wheat rosemary baguette from Roan Mills.

Tuna and Leek Crostini 

IMG_9184.thumb.jpg.571f7e483e486e43f34d1ad1f90bd2e3.jpg
I wasn't sure about two things: adding brandy to the tuna-mayo mixture and topping them with sliced, raw leeks - I love them cooked but never ate a raw leek. I needn't have worried, these are tasty little morsels and another good pantry crostini.  

I never would have thought to serve guests baby tuna sandos, but why not?

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin   That is interesting.Did the Dijon and horseradish work together? I've never considered using both.

I think they can work well together if one is dominant and the other playing more of a supporting role.  In this case, the recipe called for 2 T of Dijon mustard and 3 T of freshly grated horseradish.  Next time I will likely dial back on the mustard so the horseradish can be more clearly in the lead. Edited to add that ratio is going to depend on the particular mustard and horseradish being used, too.

Stracchino, Fennel Salami & Fig Bruschette from Polpo

IMG_9353.thumb.jpg.17802ed0d226b06099b92f6ff9834fd6.jpg
I was pleased to find this oh-so-thinly sliced fennel salame recently and picked up more ripe figs at the farmers market so I got to try another quick bite from Polpo, a cookbook with tons of ideas for stuff like this.

• Like 9

They all look delicious and I'm going to send the link from this discussion to our discussion of Holiday Cooking and Baking 2018 here.  I think crostini would be something that would be great on a buffet or for pre-dinner snacks and such.

• Like 1

Ricotta with Date & Pecan Pesto from Alon Shaya's book, Shaya.

fullsizeoutput_3833.thumb.jpeg.a17a91482564a92e2191d59495be3500.jpeg

The "pesto" isn't actually pulverized in a mortar or blender. Parsley, toasted pecans (I subbed walnuts) and dates are mixed with Parmesan, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

• 3 years later...

Smoked Sardine & Kumquat Crostini from Nik Sharma's Season

8D7C37F4-A599-4F20-B326-C4828C70BFE0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.72096034643540bd193bdf5026a9acd9.jpeg

The topping mixture contains sliced kumquats, minced shallot, Thai chilies, smoked sardines, white beans (he calls for canned butter beans, I used Rancho Gordo vallarta beans), lemon juice. olive oil and fresh dill.

A fun mix of flavors and it works well scooped up with chips or crackers. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2