• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Good of you to use a size reference all of us will recognize. My Click and Grow has been out of use since I expropriated its stand for pots and pans. But I could use some fresh basil in my life about this time of year. (And the stand I use happens to be an amazon deal of the day.)
  3. Well, many recipes begin "In a large bowl..."
  4. Thanks. It looked good to me and I have a grapefruit.
  5. Today
  6. And then there were truffles and coconut rum.
  7. 1 cup kewpie mayonnaise 1/4 cup buttermilk Half cup pickled ramps or half pickled pearl onions and half scallion greens, finally chopped Juice of half a lemon or to taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. combine ingredients and taste for seasoning.
  8. A fun polycarbonate mould I ordered from JKV, the peanut shell. These are filled with peanutbutter meltaways. Meltaway filling tempered with EZ Temper silk & piped into the shells.
  9. When I was making cheese bread the only way I found to have visible cheese was to cut it into about quarter inch cubes but then knead it into the dough by hand.
  10. I went out and bought buttermilk. I'm home and can find coy references to some ingredients, but I can't find the actual recipe on eG. There are links that go to places that I don't have permission to view which does me no good. I'm asking nicely.
  11. Can anyone give me, or point me to, a recipe for cheese bread? I would like to make some where the cheese is visible in the bread perhaps by cutting it into something like 1/4" pieces rather than using grated cheese. I would like to use aged cheddar for this.
  12. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/16/throat-hurts-brain-hurts-secret-life-of-audiobook-stars-tim-dowling
  13. Cooler weather has come to Virginia so it is time to start making chocolates! Picked up some moulds from JKV chocolates while on vacation this summer (took lots of photos to share but have yet to sort thru them all). JKV has a great showroom and amazing "museum" with a collection of antique metal moulds. I found a 50 gram bar mould that I liked -- using it to make dark chocolate bars. The pictured bar is with Agrimontana orange peel.
  14. Thanks a lot! This is the current lime tree setup (recently pruned): I am sick of the purple light in the living room - hard to see during the day, but at night it's really annoying. For the new apartment, I've been experimenting with these for general ambient lighting: It's a quad row LED strip light about 2 feet long, attached to a 1.5"x2'x0.5" thick piece of aluminum to act as a heatsink. Each 2 foot section uses about 24W... I am testing 3 of these sections in my bedroom and the lighting is equivalent to a 300W halogen torch lamp but much more even and pleasant. I thought about using them as a plant light, but when I measured it with my PAR meter, the PPFD is only about 100 umol/m2/s at a distance of 18"... so even 2 of them wouldn't make enough light as a sole light source for the tree. One problem is that it has a beam angle of 180deg, so I'll try using an acrylic half round over it to see if I can get better results. I think my biggest problem is that I don't really know how much PPFD the lime tree really needs. There's tons of data about what other plants like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. need in terms of DLI (cumulative PPFD), but I can't find any for a dwarf lime tree, so in the absence of data, usually more light is better than less! Plus, if it's too much light (like you can get with lettuce which has low DLI requirements), you can always move the light further away which will dramatically decrease the intensity. I'm thinking that I may try to use one 150W COB per fixture (rather than the 2 that you have) - that will be less heat for the heatsink/fan to have to get rid of, and I can use two of them to distribute the light around the tree more evenly.
  15. The Kindle edition of The Modern Cook's Year: More than 250 Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes to See You Through the Seasons by Anna Jones is currently $3.99 on Amazon.com. Sadly, not on Amazon.ca. I have the hard copy version of this book and it's excellent.
  16. Shelby

Dinner 2019

A couple of meals. It's getting hard to think of new meal ideas that I can eat (needs to be soft, no salad...no crunch) and not bore Ronnie to tears lol. I think he's had his fill of pasta (but he's probably getting that tonight...lol) Anyway, been doing a lot of things with venison burger. Stroganoff, goulash..stuff like that. Needed scalloped potatoes after seeing @gfweb's Venison meatloaf to go with Last night surf and turf--venison steak for Ronnie and shrimp for me....I cheated and tried to eat a bit of steak too. You should see how long it took me. I was still sitting at the table this morning when Ronnie got up for hunting lol (kidding). my sad little plate lol Yes. The sprouts are cooked to death. But I can eat them that way I MISS SALAD.
  17. Hi. Remember me? I can't believe it's been since June that I've made any whole wheat bread. My poor mill has been staring at me all this time, wondering what it did to deserve such non-usage. I can only say that the garden did so good that I canned a lot lot lot and then my periodontal stuff has kicked my butt. I didn't realize how bad I felt for such a long time until I got on antibiotics. Ahhhhh the wonders of medicine lol. Anyway. I put an end to my mill's misery and made bread yesterday . I decided to go with the Serious Eat's recipe again--and the 4th time would have been the charm had I not screwed up and forgot to add water and oil in the last step (banging head against table repeatedly). I can't believe I did that. I realized my mistake right after I put the dough in the pan to rise for the last time. The dough felt really good so I decided to go ahead and bake. Dough after second rise I'm not sure my screw up really hurt too much thankfully..... I'm back on the bread wagon and I'm going to try new grains and recipes next.
  18. Pain de Mie for my eldest grandson's lunch sandwiches at school - he doesn't like to eat the school dinners. Daft boy! My wife and I walked up with it to his home, and there were two first for us; (1) eldest grandson (5 years old) read us a book for the first time, and (2) youngest grandson (1year old) walked for 14 steps for the first time. Two very proud grandparents...
  19. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

I suspect you may well be right. All I had on hand were breadcrumbs made from the equivalent of Wonder bread. Sad.
  20. If it's plain cheese and looks OK and smells OK, I'd probably give it a taste and see. I'd be more wary of a cheese with inclusions like peppers and stuff. You can also consider whether you want to take advice from someone who cut mold off all sides of a piece of Cabot extra sharp cheddar, grated up the clean remains and put it in my breakfast yesterday 🙃
  21. kayb

Mixing bowls

I wondered when I read that on another thread what in the name of God you were going to do with that large a bowl. Except, it would be excellent for mixing up large quantities of Chex mix.
  22. Super Moon Bakehouse at @Alleguede’s request Not quite as good as last visit We will be weighing that stray croissant when we get back
  23. Might be a little more than my budget given that I seem to have to buy meals for four people every single time we’re out!
  24. https://ny.eater.com/2019/5/29/18638988/kawi-momofuku-hudson-yards-david-chang-restaurant-review-eunjo-park
  1. Load more activity