• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. dcarch

Dinner 2019

Food goes beyond satisfying the palate. Thanks for sharing. dcarch
  3. mm84321

Dinner 2019

Thank you! I was there for 4 weeks, traveling from Tokyo to the southern region of Kyushu. Very happy to say I will return at the end of January to do some cooking/baking and give cooking lessons in a small village just outside of Nagasaki.
  4. mm84321

Dinner 2019

yes! This is exactly what I love about Japanese culture and style as expressed in plated food. Rooted in the ancient flower arrangement tradition of Ikebana, which exemplifies a “Zen” minimalism that does away with all that is not essential. Coupled with masterful technique (of which the Japanese are unrivaled) this artistic style produces the most visually stunning and pleasurable to eat food I have ever experienced.
  5. KennethT

Dinner 2019

What a great looking trip! How long was it?
  6. Nomiku just posted on their Facebook page that they're suspending operations effective immediately.
  7. heidih

Dinner 2019

Yes as noted - spectacular. And the thoughtful plating looks like it enhances rather being "for effect".
  8. one thing actually many things eG'ers know how to put the "' stuff "' thought its paces then on decides
  9. The 3 pan combo was not discounted on Black Friday. Nice that they are including it in the discount price now.
  10. Today
  11. Portability and flexibility. Having a cooking surface where you want it. It's made, I believe, for the Japanese style of table cooking. Shabu shabu, takoyaki, grilling your veg and meats at the table as you eat the meal. The pics were of the two of us eating at the patio table as the seafood cooked, just transferring it to our plates as we wanted. I've eaten that way at my Asian friends houses, they had similar dedicated electric shabu and grilling appliances, but I never thought to do it at home until I saw the A4. It's easy to clean, but it is another appliance for sure. And I am a sucker for induction, for some reason. No difference than a non-stick pan on the stove in cooking style, except the stove can be on the dining table with A4.
  12. mm84321

Dinner 2019

Thanks guys! Glad I could share it. 🙂
  13. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

I'm speechless.
  14. kayb

Dinner 2019

Stunning.
  15. rotuts

Dinner 2019

@mm84321 Im a bit short of breath congratulations for your palate ! Ill review a bit more tomorrow possibly only 2 - 3 frames at a time ! good eating it looks like so enjoy
  16. mm84321

Dinner 2019

Japan- my favorite place to eat on earth!
  17. I suspect it's the portability, combined with the new-toy factor, but I too would like to know whether it's better than cooking with a pan. Easier cleanup, perhaps? As I write this there's a 30% discount on the A4 and the pans, for the next 48 (and counting down) hours, using the code CHRISTMAS, so it's especially tempting. That said, I would like to know the answer to lindag's question!
  18. It appears that the 3-pan combo (6-hole, octopus ball and deep pan) is also eligible for that 30% discount. Right now I'm looking at the A4 and that 3-pan combo, with free shipping, for $236.60 because of the discount. Tempting, indeed.
  19. Oooohhhhh. Would you post the recipe for that, please, @shain?
  20. The French Pastry School in Chicago has 3- to 5-day classes on bread as well as a 10-week professional baking program. Depending on where you live, it may be easier/cheaper than going to Vermont.
  21. How is this different than cooking in a pan?
  22. Me too! I made a quick one dish meal in the ceramic insert yesterday. Just ground beef, some cut up vegetables, some tomato passata and some orzo.Made enough to freeze two lots!
  23. A4 Box has another online special, better than black Friday one (25%), now 30% off for next few hours. Snip from email. Christmas is coming and the best gift is presence of family wrapped with love. So to celebrate Christmas with your friends and family we are offering 30% discount on A4Box. Enjoy cooking your and families favorite food this holiday and spread happiness with A4Box. If you've been waiting to get it, now is the best time. Use code- CHRISTMAS at checkout to get 30% OFF. Only lasts for next 48 hours. You can do so here: https://afourbox.com/products/a4box
  24. I finally opened my A4 and put it to use recently. I decided to use it on the patio, I'm kind of a feral cook, felt like the most fun environment for it. One night we did cod and scallops with sauteed tomatoes, the next we did Tiger shrimp and fried rice. So far have just used the griddle part. I really, really like this tool. I can definitely travel with it. The dial control is simple. Not sure what the next insert to be used is, either the pancake one for potato pancakes or the takoyaki one for meatballs. Also, I'm seriously considering a shabu shabu night on the patio with the deeper insert. Never had that possible outside of a shabu shabu restaurant until now.
  25. On a somewhat related note: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/12/judge-serves-up-sizzling-rebuke-of-arkansas-anti-veggie-meat-labeling-law/
  26. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Dinner last night was supposed to be chicken parmesan, but husband requested chicken broccoli pasta instead. I had a piece of broccoli in the fridge, so changing the menu was not a problem.
  1. Load more activity