• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

Such great answers! I kinda hate to tell the actual story; these are so much better. 🙂

20230217_111651.jpg

It's a catbird.

The design team Taylor & Ng did a lot of fun kitchen stuff, at least in the 1970's. I have quite a few of their original mugs, either with funny French puns or with various animals doing The Naughty in funny poses. My sister gave me a couple of reissued mugs, and this is one of them.

This morning, for whatever reason, my first thought when I saw the winged cat that I first showed you was "why does Pegasus look so funny?"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Soooo Owl Cat Bat is wrong?????

🤣

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

How could that be wrong?

Impossible!! Just, er, not quite what Taylor & Ng had in mind. Probably because they didn't think of it. 🙃

• Haha 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Today's baking project, when I wasn't teasing y'all about the mug: making another batch of sweet rolls for my darling. He insists that his mother used to use her basic bread recipe, and roll up some of it with (shudder) raisins and maybe nuts. He kept insisting to me that the pecans and craisins I'd used before were excellent, but he actually asked me during our last shopping trip to buy raisins. So I did. And I used the same soft-bread recipe I used last time, but used whole milk we bought at the grocery store. (BTW, @heidih, that really was evaporated milk in the can and not condensed milk the last time around. I checked the labels in the store, as well as the label of a can I found lurking in the cupboard here, and see that I named the wrong product. Thanks for asking for the clarification.)

Here's the before and after. I was much more generous with the fillings this time than the last time around.

20230217_220754.jpg

It looks to me as though these things need to be put into smaller pans, and I rather regret giving my mother's cake pans to my great-niece last fall. My darling assures me that the pale rolls in the middle look most like what his mother did.

There was quite a lot of non-culinary activity today too. Dinner was a simple affair: the last jar of Maya Kaimal simmering sauce (Jalfrezi, in this case) lurking in the back of a cabinet. I'd bought some boneless skinless chicken thighs yesterday, with curry or kebabs in mind. The weather still isn't pleasant enough for cooking outside...so Maya Kaimal it was. I cooked a mix of basmati and wild rice for the bottom of the bowl.

20230217_220928.jpg

Delicious! We both thought so.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

My darling says these sweet rolls are even better than the last batch. I'm glad he likes them. I had one for an early breakfast this morning.

20230218_085628.jpg

Not bad. Certainly not bakery quality, and maybe not even whomp-roll quality. (I'm sure the grocery rolls have some sort of dough conditioner.) But he says these are as he remembers his mother's sweet rolls when he was a kid, and at his age he deserves a nostalgic treat.

I'll stick to my usual breakfasts: avocado sandwich, peanut butter sandwich, or today's breakfast:

20230218_101621.jpg

Yogurt, granola, fruit (in this case, a couple of cuties). I need something to counter the sugar rush from the roll!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

That yogurt, granola, fruit (usually pineapple) dish is one of my favourite breakfasts and I have it often.  A new favourite I have is steel cut oats with applesauce, chopped apples, an egg, maple syrup, cinnamon and pecans.  Delicious.  Guess I'll go back to eating my lunch - beet salad.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Tell us more, please.  🙂

Sure.  I assume you mean the beet salad?  It's very simple, just beets, goat cheese, toasted nuts, sea salt  & p,  with olive oil and balsamic.  I have this little trove of flavored balsamic vinegars and olive oils and that is what I use.  The one shown is a new one, missing the garlic infused olive oil.  I'm almost finished the first box.

20230218_140715.jpg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Sure.  I assume you mean the beet salad?  It's very simple, just beets, goat cheese, toasted nuts, sea salt  & p,  with olive oil and balsamic.  I have this little trove of flavored balsamic vinegars and olive oils and that is what I use.  The one shown is a new one, missing the garlic infused olive oil.  I'm almost finished the first box.

20230218_140715.jpg

That's a delightful trove, Elsie! How big is each bottle? 

• Like 1

Here's the other Taylor & Ng "reprint" I carry in the Princessmobile.

20230219_091200.jpg

• Like 5

Once again I got to play with fire for dinner last night. We used to have wilted spinach salad often, and then got away from dinner salads for some reason neither of us can explain. The Los Angeles Times California Cookbook, that I wrote about here, has a recipe for flaming wilted spinach salad. The ingredient to be flamed is cognac. I used VSOP brandy, and it worked quite well.  You've all seen beautiful, fresh spinach, and bacon cooking down, to I'll cut to the chase:

20230219_080138.jpg 

(In case you're wondering, I had a lid ready to slap on that pan if necessary. It wasn't.)

We both liked it, although we thought it too sweet and I'd only used half the sugar the recipe specified! That book has its first written note now. 

He confessed as we were eating that, although he liked the salad, he'd been hoping I would opt for leftovers (planned-overs, as @Anna N calls them) so he could get back to the barbecued ribs! 😄

Yesterday a bunch of Yuma aviation enthusiasts came out for the afternoon. Once they knew that we too are aviators, they were good enough to put on a show for us.

20230219_075849.jpg

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's a delightful trove, Elsie! How big is each bottle? 

I think the bottles hold about I tablespoon.  I was going to use some tonight and was planning on measuring a bottle but my dinner plans changed when my neighbour gave me some crepes.

20230219_175649.jpg

• Like 6

I just realized that I haven't shown the rest of the Taylor & Ng mug. The two "catfish" are simply mirror images of each other.

20230219_091208.jpg

Dinner tonight was left- planned-overs: ribs for both of us; beans for him; cabbage and beans and kielbasa with a bit of horseradish sour cream for me. We were again delighted. Although we claimed to love all of the food, I think we were privately pleased to have our choices.

I didn't bother taking photos.

• Like 10

Though Taylor & Ng's style is quite different it reminded of the existence of Kliban cats. Sadly, none of my Kliban mugs made it into old age. Sigh ...

eta: it's not like I suffer from a lack of mugs. 

20230220_150841.thumb.jpg.207b5a469006af6fb966de1b387c6f7c.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;