• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What weird things

NeroW

I loved baby food, which might not be unusual but I was 12 years old and would buy it with my paper route money.....

I especially loved the Gerber's cereal , I ate it straight from the box (not mixing it with a liquid) as I loved the way it melted on my tongue. :blink:

I also liked a lot of the jarred fruits...

and just last month I was teaching my daughters just how wonderful clover tastes....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm an ex-crayon eater too. This might sound odd, but ever since I was little I always thought that I could almost taste colors, which is why I tried eating crayons. I usually tried eating the colors I thought looked tastiest, which were usually blue, like JennotJenn did.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I learned this from my mother: freshly ground raw hamburger meat made from top round, straight from the package, with garlic salt. My father had to leave the room.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Paste, play dough, cat food, snail bait (this one only once, as I was rushed to the hospital to have my stomach pumped). I loved liverwurst until my sister told me that it was made from liver...

I only know this from family lore.

My mother used to love to tell the story of returning to the back yard to find me with 2 LARGE grasshopper legs protruding from my mouth, when I was a young'un.

I'd love to tell you how much I enjoyed them, but that would start to sound like an episode from Cook's Tour.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

There were two good ones that I ate regularly: Raw frozen french fries and PB&J with taco sauce. :wacko:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

My half-sister would eat a miracle whip, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. :wacko:

My DH would eat peanut butter or margerine on his pizza. The cafeteria pizza was pretty nasty, but I'm not sure pb or margerine was the answer.

I was a pretty normal child. I remember putting a smushed frog in my mouth because my mom was watching me from the window...I thought it would be funny for her to think I was eating it. She still doesn't believe that I wasn't trying to eat it. It was flat and dried out...not at all appealing.

I got my stomach pumped out for smelling flea dip...mom thought I drank it. I was really small though, so I couldn't tell her what had really happened.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

I always would chew the erasers off of pencils... till one day my grandfather told me that if i kept doing it my "ass would explode like a dog who ate razorblades". How is that mental picture for an eight year old.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Dead flies and dust bunnies. I have a very intense pre-verbal memory of really enjoying the flavor of a dead fly. I also liked to chew on the cedar muntuns and mullions of the windows in my bedroom.

I was a strange child, me.

Meat. Any meat. One of the first things I cooked, at about age 8 or 9, was a whole beef heart. I ate raw burger whenever I could get it.

This was weird only because my family's house was - wait for it - vegan.

Or maybe that's why my meat jones wasn't so weird.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I worked in a lab with a woman who ate fruitflies during her genetics class. She felt badly that they'd grow these flies up and just kill them after the fly's sex and phenotype were identified, so she ate them, to give them a purpose. She said they tasted like dirt.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Paste, Play-Doh, frozen french fries, raw rhubarb - yup, add me to those lists. Also wild leeks (the crunch of the dirt was an added bonus). the white tips of grass stems, and waaayyy too much Saratoga Springs fountain water - the nastiest, most sulpherous springs I could find as a twelve year old.............maybe I was craving calcium? Also loaves of bread - no toasting, no spread - eaten entirely at a sitting.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I worked in a lab with a woman who ate fruitflies during her genetics class. She felt badly that they'd grow these flies up and just kill them after the fly's sex and phenotype were identified, so she ate them, to give them a purpose. She said they tasted like dirt.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to see that! Oh.... :unsure: .....wait.... :blink:

ellencho, is this lady in charge of any large important lab projects now? :biggrin::biggrin::laugh::laugh: I hope it's with veggies!!!

Eep! Last I remembered, she works with one of the big bad viruses - ebola or SARS, or something worse. I can't recall. Yikes!