• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

Then there's the salt and chocolate cravings for PMS.  Whoever invented chocolate covered pretzels should get a medal. :laugh:

Laughing Goddess:

Surely you didn't miss THIS thread? You'll see that your fellow eGullet sisters are quite in agreement with you. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sheesh... I can't believe that corndogs didn't invade Canada. Mea culpa.

I'm still not sure that I know what peameal bacon is. But I sure want some. :biggrin:

Maggie is arranging a shitload of peameal bacon for the new eGullet restaurant. (Shitload is a Canadian term for enough, or close to.) We are backward in these parts and frozen food is only available in most of Canada from November to April.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Must... get... peameal bacon... Must... get... peameal bacon...

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Must... get... peameal bacon... Must... get... peameal bacon...

Well, when you're all hooked on peameal bacon, I don't want you to blame Canada. Your drug enforcement people are already saying that Canadian pot is causing serious problems for the US because it is so good. Get a taste of that Canadian bacon and you'll be ruined for any other kind of bacon, eh?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Then there's the salt and chocolate cravings for PMS.  Whoever invented chocolate covered pretzels should get a medal.   :laugh:

Laughing Goddess:

Surely you didn't miss THIS thread? You'll see that your fellow eGullet sisters are quite in agreement with you. :biggrin:

Or, (blush) this? Maggie's Shameless Self-Promotion

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maggie... This is indeed shameless, in the literal sense of the word. You are absolutely entitled to reprise this great piece. I enjoyed revisiting. Thanks for bringing it up.

Unfortunately... At this stage of my life, I can't attribute my strangeness to this phenomemon.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I intend to indulge at the stand on Santa Monica Beach.  ("Hot Dog on a Stick?") I love them.

Their uniforms are a hoot and a half. Here is the company website.

They also sell deep fried Cheese on a Stick. :biggrin:

I kind of feel like Maggie entering with some trepidation into MatthewB's treehouse but curiosity got the better of me: what is a corn dog and why would anyone crave one?

:blink:

What is this all about? Does this ever happen to you? Did someone put an evil subliminal message on the car radio?

fifi - I would think Blondie and the others may be right...blame eGullet. There is a current thread involving polenta (on the Cooking board?) which could make the logical leap to the cornmeal batter on corn dogs. Chalk it up to the sublime subliminal.

Edited: Added third quote and post

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The corn dog curse is still with me. I had another one tonight.

BTW... I bought Oscar Meyer. For a hot dog, they are pretty tasty. The corn batter is a little sweeter than I like my corn bread but it does seem to go well with the hot dog. They cook up quite nicely in my De Longhi convection oven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Fifi, it must be the time of year because my husband who has never eaten a corndog in his life started talking about them the other day. He swears they're calling to him.

As for me, last year out of nowhere I got a craving for a calzone. I tried to ignore the siren call, but after a month I finally gave in. I went to the pizza shop and ordered one, only it didn't taste that good. After about half, the craving had gone away and I felt sick to my stomach. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

A few years ago I got the strangest craving of my life: pork rinds. And I mean the supermarket ones, that I've never tasted before and hoped that I never will. It was an eerie moment, as I could smell them and I could taste the almost rancid fat - all that being half a mile from the closest bag.

I gave in because I actually found all this amusing, went to the supermarket, bought it, eat about 3 pieces and that was it. All I can say is that they were almost as disgusting as I imagined.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I'ver had the oddest craving, and you're all going to think I'm a freak. For the last bunch of years, I've been craving fried eggs. Sunnyside up, I suppose. Eggs make me vomit, so I haven't sated this craving. Sorry for the graphics.

I think a lot of cravings come about because our bodies need something. I have low iron levels, and every so often I get an intense craving for a "me'urav yerushalmi," which is organ meats mixed together and fried on a grill with onions and quite a bit of grease and whatnot. Not my usual cup of tea but when I get it, it is the most delicious thing in the world. When I lived in Jerusalem I would just indulge the craving since it was there for the asking. It's a bit more difficult now, so I just get woozy and faint every once in a while. :biggrin: And of course there's that monthly necessity of dark chocolate. If that is not indulged, the end result may well be murder. Indulgence is far cheaper and much less trouble. What is it in chocolate that our bodies need at that time? (And don't tell me it's not our bodies but our minds, my body rejects that answer! :wink: )

BTW -- I also had no idea what a corn dog was. Sounds good; indulge, I say.

Fifi, it must be the time of year because my husband who has never eaten a corndog in his life started talking about them the other day.  He swears they're calling to him.

OK... this is getting a little weird! (Twilight Zone theme floating through my head.) Any other unexpected corn dog cravings out there? National security demands that we get to the bottom of this phenomenon.

elyse... When I was a kid, fried eggs terrified me. I don't know why. Then I got over it and they are now one of my favorites. But then... I have this affinity for bacon grease! :biggrin:

Pork rinds... I loves pork rinds. The supermarket kind are just ok but whenever I go to Fiesta (our local Latin supermarket) I get some of the fresh ones, chicharrones (sp?). YUM!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

When I was pregnant, in my 5th month I had cravings for  Hostess Cupcakes. My car would drive itself into the grocery store parking lot every day after work. I would eat the 2-pack ( sometimes two 2-packs) between the store and home ( a 2 minute drive ), and throw the wrapper in the back seat of my VW Bug.

I craved those when pregnant with my daughter. Not the chocolate ones, but the orange. :blink: And nothing else would do.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I took the 3 kids shopping this morning and as usual the moment we stepped in the door the kids ran off in search of something I would definitely say "no" to. They come running back a couple seconds later with a pack of corn dogs!

Now of course I couldn't say no. :blink:

So came home and popped them in the oven and inside the package was a small packet of a light brown syupy looking thing. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was so I cut it open and it was....

maple syrup! (well a cheap imitation)

who puts maple syrup on corn dogs? :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I took the 3 kids shopping this morning and as usual the moment we stepped in the door the kids ran off in search of something I would definitely say "no" to.

Soooo... Had you been talking about corn dogs? Is this something they usually want? Did this just come out of nowhere? Are they also victims of this suspicious corn dog phenomenon? (doo-doo doo-doo)

Maple syrup? :hmmm:

Yesterday I took the purest approach to my corn dog. I mentioned earlier that the batter was somewhat sweet. Without the mustard, I detected either a note of nutmeg or vanilla in the batter. Odd. These are Oscar Meyer.

Snowangel... I think these were previously deep fried and you are just heating them. They taste deep fried, anyway.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I took the 3 kids shopping this morning and as usual the moment we stepped in the door the kids ran off in search of something I would definitely say "no" to.

Soooo... Had you been talking about corn dogs? Is this something they usually want? Did this just come out of nowhere? Are they also victims of this suspicious corn dog phenomenon? (doo-doo doo-doo)

It came absolutely out of nowhere!

These corn dogs are really starting to scare me! :huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

From time to time I crave some sort of clam I ate when I was about five years old. My Dad took us to the beach and dug up some teensy clams - about the size of a quarter with a dark gray/brownish shell. He pried them open with his pocketknife and we ate them raw. I can vividly remember that briny, salty taste. It was delicious. I wonder just what it was that I ate? It's really weird because I've certainly never eaten one raw before or since. My Mom used to like buying cans of smoked baby clams and I crave those from time to time too, but I've yet to succumb.

Let's review the statistics:

This thread has had 524 views. You can't see anymore who is viewing so we don't have any idea how widespread the audience really is.

We have 3 reports of unexplained cravings for corn dogs: me, bloviatrix's husband, torakris's kids. I am not sure that the frequency requires a full blown eGullet ALERT. (Is there such a thing?) But it is passingly strange.

Let's wait and see what else turns up. Unfortunately, sort of like Schroedinger's cat, the fact that we are now looking at it may change the dynamics of the phenomenon.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fresco, I think that in Canada corn dogs are called "pogos".

I think. :unsure:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Let's review the statistics:

This thread has had 524 views. You can't see anymore who is viewing so we don't have any idea how widespread the audience really is.

We have 3 reports of unexplained cravings for corn dogs: me, bloviatrix's husband, torakris's kids. I am not sure that the frequency requires a full blown eGullet ALERT. (Is there such a thing?) But it is passingly strange.

Let's wait and see what else turns up. Unfortunately, sort of like Schroedinger's cat, the fact that we are now looking at it may change the dynamics of the phenomenon.

At least in Minnesota and Iowa (and probably other points in the midwest), late summer means not only getting ready for school, but also The State Fair. Where better to get a freshly deep fried (as opposed to previously fried and re-heated corn dog)?

The MInnesota State Fair opens 10 days before Labor Day. My corn dog cravings begin mid-August, every year.

Interesting that no one but me has brought up the difference between Corn Dogs and Pronto Pups.

Having had the real thing, deep fried moments before consumption, I could not stoop to a previously fried, frozen and then re-heated so-called Corn Dog. Just not the same.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"