• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

Funny how corndogs come up again. Last night Blovie and I went out to eat and on the menu they had corndogs. I spent some time considering whether or not to order one but in the end common sense won out and I refused. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

ok fifi

this one's for you:

http://www.corndogfestival.com/homepage.html

BWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

OMG! And it is in Dallas, too. Good, something for me to needle Richard Kilgore about. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now this is scary:

As always, everybody is encouraged to decorate a corndog, or as many corndogs as you like, and enter them in the competition.

And this is just deeply disturbing. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This is the first time I looked at this thread, so I just read the first few and last few posts. It got my attention because I thought tonight was pretty strange... I was craving Olive Garden salad. I think that's pretty weird. Even weirder, I abandoned my plans for dinner and went to Olive Garden and ate salad, by myself. It surely didn't sound good to my husband, so he stayed home and ate by himself.

Another thing struck me funny... several other people were at the bar by themselves, eating salad.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This is the first time I looked at this thread, so I just read the first few and last few posts. It got my attention because I thought tonight was pretty strange... I was craving Olive Garden salad. I think that's pretty weird. Even weirder, I abandoned my plans for dinner and went to Olive Garden and ate salad, by myself. It surely didn't sound good to my husband, so he stayed home and ate by himself.

Another thing struck me funny... several other people were at the bar by themselves, eating salad.

Oh dear. It sounds like it is time to get out the tin hats. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This was about 20 years ago, so the details may be sketchy ...

I was recovering from a 4 week bout of mono & pneumonia. During this time, my appetite was non-existent ... I lived on dry toast and vanilla yoghurt, and lost almost 30 pounds. One morning, I woke up with the most incredible craving for a large salad bowl (yes, that specific) of Raisin Bran with orange juice instead of milk. Once I had convinced my mom I wasn't kidding, she brought me the Raisin Bran.

One mouthful later I had lost my appetite again.

DA

Yep... That is pretty strange. However, you did have the great good sense to not eat it. Tragically, such was not the case with my corndog episode. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

This is the first time I looked at this thread, so I just read the first few and last few posts.  It got my attention because I thought tonight was pretty strange...  I was craving Olive Garden salad.  I think that's pretty weird.  Even weirder, I abandoned my plans for dinner and went to Olive Garden and ate salad, by myself.  It surely didn't sound good to my husband, so he stayed home and ate by himself.

susan, susan, susan

i think the heat and humidity finally got to you :shock:

at least you enjoyed it right?

go home and have a dope toasted dream :laugh::laugh::laugh:

frito pie and corndogs all around

(fifi - check out the current saveur - in the datebook they show "venus rising from the sea" and yup - venus has been replaced by......) :wink:

edited to say: it is so freakin hot/humid that i am planning what to make for dinner tomorrow- a cold tomato soup with some sort of salad and good county bread with cheese i think - we shall see

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

(fifi - check out the current saveur - in the datebook they show "venus rising from the sea" and yup - venus has been replaced by......) :wink:

Ummm... Help me out here. I don't have a copy of the current copy of Saveur. I am having a scary vision of a corndog emerging from the waves. :laugh: Tell me that this is not true.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

susan, susan, susan

i think the heat and humidity finally got to you :shock:

at least you enjoyed it right?

go home and have a dope toasted dream :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I think the heat and humidity did get to me, and that craving was the first sign of it. I'm home sick today! Nothing serious... But yesterday I spent almost the entire day outside, including pulling weeds and I think it kicked up some allergies. So anyway, brunch today is oatmeal with toast dope, and green tea. :smile: Oh, and yeah, I did enjoy the salad!

Just checked out that bizarre picture in Saveur... Fifi, I don't think she's going to be able to tell you it's not true.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

(fifi - check out the current saveur - in the datebook they show "venus rising from the sea" and yup - venus has been replaced by......)  :wink:

Ummm... Help me out here. I don't have a copy of the current copy of Saveur. I am having a scary vision of a corndog emerging from the waves. :laugh: Tell me that this is not true.

OH MY, MY

OH, HELL YES

though technically from a shell - as the pearl does - must be part of this year's stylings <evil :laugh: >

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 19 years later...

Happened to me a couple of days ago. Craving Shake 'n Bake chicken. Yup the processed, salty stuff. I probably haven't had it for 20 years - it was an quick after-work dinner when my kids were small and I knew it was something they would eat. I couldn't stop thinking about it and when whole fryers were on sale at the grocery store today (2.29/lb) I decided that's what we'd have for dinner. I have homemade smoked gouda mac and cheese, fresh green beans and apple crumble for dessert to redeem myself!

• Like 3

Mine is not recent, but when I was pregnant for our daughter and first son, it was the Chinese Almond Cookies from the Canton Inn in Ottawa.  The Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Elliot Trudeau, used to eat there.  The restaurant is long gone.  Those cookies were the best.  

I do sometimes have a hankering for Miss Vickie's® Original Recipe kettle cooked potato chips.  But then we always have in the house...so to speak...Kirkland's potato chips.  I say 'so to speak' because they are hidden from me somewhere in the garage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As for weird cravings its cheap ramen packet with as much spicy chile powders i can tolerate. I usually add a nip of Habanero powder, a 1/2 tsp of Jalapeno powder, and a 1/4 tsp of Cayenne powder. The trifecta usually has me sweating half way through the bowl.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Darienne said:

Mine is not recent, but when I was pregnant for our daughter and first son, it was the Chinese Almond Cookies from the Canton Inn in Ottawa.  The Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Elliot Trudeau, used to eat there.  The restaurant is long gone.  Those cookies were the best.  

I do sometimes have a hankering for Miss Vickie's® Original Recipe kettle cooked potato chips.  But then we always have in the house...so to speak...Kirkland's potato chips.  I say 'so to speak' because they are hidden from me somewhere in the garage.

Pregnancy cravings are a special category. I like sour, but when I was pregnant nothing was too sour. I craved Japanese pickled vegetables above all, grapefruit as puckering as I could get it, and in the realm of the really hideous: those gummies with that weird sour powder on them. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Since I've been taking Naproxen for a pulled muscle, I crave cinnamon and apple.   I normally do not like apple pie, apple sauce or cinnamon anything.   It's very weird.   At least I'm not craving pumpkin spice (ew), which is everywhere at the moment.

Pumpkin Spice haters of the world unite! 

• Haha 3

It might be an old-age thing, but I do get occasional cravings for the strangest things that I never particularly liked when I was younger. These are nearly all savoury items. Minced beef pies. Steak and kidney pies. Yeah, pies come into my craving repertoire a lot. Rhubarb pies or crumbles. Gooseberry ditto.

I suspect it's largely because I can't get them here and have no oven to make them in, anyway. Also, can't get fresh rhubarb even though it is native to China; it all gets dried and used in the TCM nonsense.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto