• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What weird things

NeroW

:hmmm: I cut my teeth on Milk Bones; since the dog would steal my Zwiebac, I guess I figured it was "tit for tat". Butter & white sugar on Arnold white bread; peanut butter on apple slices (still love that!) Raw carrots, fresh out of the garden; adored avocados from the time I knew about them; raw peas until I choked on one; lemons, until my grandmother started dipping them in sugar because they were "too acid for the baby". Liverwurst and onions, cold leftover steak, and honeycomb (after the junk was scraped off; my grandfather kept bees) and sugar by the spoonful, cause I like the crunch.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I loved baby food, which might not be unusual but I was 12 years old and would buy it with my paper route money.....

I am in my 40's and I love a jar of chilled apricots, peaches, or plums every now and then. I once saw a chef on TV using jarred baby fruit as a base for a sauce. Why not? :wub:

Raw Lamb - the thinly sliced and well marbled kind

Uncooked Rice

Bananna, Peanut Butter, and Condensed Milk on Toast

I still make that sandwich these days and it is even more convenient because there is condensed milk in a toothpaste tube. This saved me from the trouble of opening a new can each time.

I loved baby food, which might not be unusual but I was 12 years old and would buy it with my paper route money.....

I am in my 40's and I love a jar of chilled apricots, peaches, or plums every now and then. I once saw a chef on TV using jarred baby fruit as a base for a sauce. Why not? :wub:

If Gerber still made their orange flavor, I would be eating baby food right now. I loved that stuff, but I think they discontinued that flavor in the mid-80's.

I can still remember the taste and texture of it as clearly as if I had eaten some this morning.

I'm not sure if that or saurkraut is my first food memory. Oh yeah, I should add saurkraut to weird things I ate as a kid. I still love it, but I guess it's a bit odd for a baby to like it.

Gourmet Anarchy

judiu, you must be a long lost relative!!

One time my mom caught me and my dog Trusty (from Lady and the Tramp :wub:) under the dining room table with scissors and milk bones. I was eating one, cutting my hair, then giving Trusty one, and cutting his hair.

I always say I was her despair. Goes to show why she and my dad waited 9 years to present my sister to the world!

No one has mentioned toast, bananas and whipped cream.

Yeah, apparently I also ate a lot of dead flies. I don't remember this though.

I am told I was usually wheeled about town gnawing on pickles. I do remember preferring pickes to ice cream after dinner. So far, have never desired the combination :wink:

I remember running up to my great-grandmother's rooftop where she grew grapes and eating all the sour ones. I also remember getting stomach aches from all the sour food I ate -- not that it ever stopped me.

• 2 weeks later...

A "hot dog" composed of a bun and honey nut cheerios, with orange juice on it. In my mind it made sense: I always wanted to eat cereal as a sandwich, and I always suspected cereal might taste better with orange juice (since I liked it better than milk). Add it all together and you have the orange juice and cheerios hot dog. The best part though, was that my mom told me that uncooked hot dog buns were poisonous and could kill me if I ate too many of them; I'm not sure what that was all about, but I was stupid so I believed her.

The best part though, was that my mom told me that uncooked hot dog buns were poisonous and could kill me if I ate too many of them; I'm not sure what that was all about, but I was stupid so I believed her.

You are hardly alone in this mistaken belief!!

Check out this website to see how "normal" we all are as "duped adults".... :laugh:

I used to Believe!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm with the PlayDoh (sp?) eaters out there. My mom sometimes even made homemade PlayDoh, which, as I recall, she actually condoned my eating. Mmmm, salty...

Other than that, I was a pretty tame eater. :unsure: But I did have a few quirks: I was absolutely *terrified* of lumps in food that was intended to be smooth, such as Dannon vanilla yogurt (a staple of my childhood) and Campbell's tomato soup (the thick, canned, concentrated kind, to which you add water). If there was a lump in the bowlful, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

She blogs: Orangette

• 5 weeks later...
i used to lick ban roll-on
Thats too funny

Other than eating worms, which I repeated as an adult on a dare. Those unripe green grapes from my Italian fathers grape vine are not so good for you. Having a bout of diarhea in 2nd grade at a Catholic school isn't fun... those nuns can be so cruel

heinz tomato ketchup on vanilla ice cream, tried this recentlky when my niece told me she didn't believe me, it's not bad :wacko:

also liked ketchup on a choclate biscuit or cornflakes

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

One of my brothers and I used to make peanut butter, cheese, and bologna sandwiches. Although I've tried to block it out, I'm pretty sure mayo was also on the ingredient list. We loved them!

At my grandmother's house, she'd add a little coffee to our bowls of rice crispies and milk. She didn't think it was much different than cafe au lait, which Daddy served us in bed when he wanted to get us up for early (6:30 a.m.) Mass.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I eat plain McDonald's hamburgers topped with a small smear of strawberry or raspberry preserves. My younger brother prefers bologna or hot dogs with peanut butter.

We chalk this up to genetics. Our father's favorite sandwich consisted of Miracle Whip, softened butter, kosher prepared horseradish, peanut butter, finely diced red onion and crisped bacon on seven grain bread, with a dill pickle spear on the side and a cup of coffee so strong it could double as paint stripper.

Pie dough (butter and flour)

I thought eating pie dough was normal?

Another reformed playdough eater here, too. Also raw ground beef (used to pinch off pieces before mom used it), uncooked pasta, fish sticks with ketchup.

I once ate most of a can of lemon frosting.

My mom used to make me "mint milk" - milk sweetened with a little bit of sugar, flavored with a few drops of peppermint extract, and a few drops of green food color to make it green.

I used to get a portion of the pancake batter to color & pour out into shapes on my own. I made just about every color in the rainbow, but I think green was my favorite.

In high school I dipped my fries into chocolate shakes.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

When I was a kid, my friend slipped some earthworms into his sister's canned spaghetti. Is this on topic or just twisted?

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

In keeping with the ketchup popularity, which I still love by the way, I used to eat raw carrot sticks dipped in ketchup. And I would also squeeze ketchup out of those foil or plastic takeout packs straight into my mouth whenever we went for fast food.

Then there was drinking cream right out of the tiny plastic containers in restaurants. Or eating teaspoonfuls of CoffeeMate. Sugar cubes. Mustn't forget sugar cubes, although I guess that's not too weird.

An uncooked hot dog every now and again.

And simultaneously munching from a jar full of dill pickles and a box of kiddie cereal like Captain Crunch or Corn Pops. Guess I was just nurturing that Asian sweet and sour thing.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

When I was in high school and my nickname was "slats" because I was so thin, I used to buy a package of cream cheese (4 oz) and eat it like a candy bar. My buddies all thought I was nuts but I loved the flavor (still do) and didn't care that much for candy.

I also ate it on top of hot apple pie, would slice one of those little bricks in half horizontally and slap it on top of the pie. Everyone else would have vanilla ice cream on top of theirs but that always tasted too gloppy sweet to me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Grape Koolaid powder and cinnamon, approximately equal quantities, mixed to a paste with water and eaten out of a glass eyewash cup from the bathroom medicine cabinet.

Only once.

There is no love sincerer than the love of food.

--George Bernard Shaw