• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What has participating on eGullet changed re: your eating or cooking habits?

Obviously I see a lot of "enabler" posts where someone decides to purchase some piece of equipment, but has eGullet changed how you approach eating also?

Cooking-wise, I think it has broadened my thought process about flavor profiles (what flavors go together well).

I started eating more savory foods for breakfast (ex: grain salads that I would normally have for lunch) after seeing people eating what many would consider "non-traditional" breakfasts in North America.

In the U.S., it still leans to eggs/cereal/pastries as opposed to countries in Asia, which may have savory congee, dals, or fish.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

We started eating the gochujang buttered noodles because it got mentioned here, and now it's part of the regular rotation and we have it at least twice a week!  I also started using gochujang in other things as well as black vinegar, and sriracha based on mentions here; I started making popsicles after being inspired by @bluedolphin.  I'm also eating more savory foods for breakfast, like you - coarse bulgur with miso and spinach is a favorite no matter what time of day it is.  I would consider myself an adventurous diner, but being with all of you has inspired me beyond just what cookbook or magazine I happened upon.  Plus, even though I don't know many of you "in real life" I trust your judgement because I've "known" you for so long :)

ETA; I apparently can't spell dolphin correctly on the first try

Edited by JeanneCake (log)
  • Like 7

Been here a long time.  Eating evolves through shopping habits and age.

But here's my list off the top of my head.

Cooking with what's in my pantry first.  I think it was framed by the early Pantry challenges.

Oh and, Sous Vide, for everything, including desserts and infusing alcohol.

related to Sous Vide is the vacuum chamber.  Not used consistently, but it makes my food prep go quicker for future meals.

@Shelby inspired food preservation interest for me also.  

@andiesenji inspired a lot of global and classic ingredients, starting with black pepper,  I have like 8 pepper grinders on my counter.

• Like 6

When I first found eG I was starting to get into cooking.   That was so many years ago.   Cooking became my Zin when coming home from work after  dealing with employees 

Went from basic cooking to gastronomy over the years and have slid back to more basic cooking as I’ve gotten older.   My wife no longer wants to eat red meat which I’m ok with but fish is our main protein source with some poultry tossed in for variety.   Also eating non meat sources that are high in proteins like some grains

Not as involved as much in message boards as I use to be, but try to look at eG most days even if I don’t post pictures very often 

• Like 5

Went from basic cooking to gastronomy over the years and have slid back to more basic cooking as I’ve gotten older.

@scubadoo97 Sounds like me.  I haven't slid back completely, but gone are the days when I'd spends hours concocting a dish.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

it has introduced me to newer cooking methods , I might not have learned about any other way :

SousVide :  remember the SousVide Magic ?   eventually the ChamberVac ?  the the Anova circulator ?

CombiOven :  the CSO ?

the InstantPot ?

the Air Fryer ?

and , later in the game :  the panini press ?

massive cooking changers they all are.

and then , eG usage of all the above 

• Like 7

I've learned a lot about food over the last 20 years(10 years lurking, 10 years registered) and it's hard to say what exactly came from eG. In any case, my reading and travel experiences were influenced by eGullet.

Omelettes. I didn't know anything about omelettes beyond what we have as omelettes in Kerala,which is a very different beast.

Cheffing chicken drumsticks. Thanks for making my life more difficult but also much better.

Air fryer. Nuff said.

An understanding of internal temperature as a concept across sous vide, oven cooking, and barbecue.

And BBQ reminds me, watching people get worked up about terminology. Paella, carbonara, biriyani, cassoulet... My conclusion is that it's best to understand the original dish, but if you can't, by all means have a go- but don't argue with a native about it. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2024 at 3:48 PM, gfweb said:

Sous vide, steam oven are big ones.

Remember when Anova came to Egullet to find out what we were interested in for a home based immersion circulator before they rolled out the Anova One

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Remember when Anova came to Egullet to find out what we were interested in for a home based immersion circulator before they rolled out the Anova One

I forgot about that.   I still use the Anova 1 and the more ancient sous vide supreme.

• Like 1

Cooking, as other than a loathed chore, came late to me.  I recall I was 67 at the time   I joined eGullet and the sun began to shine on my cooking life.  Loved it for years.  Learned so much, tried such new recipes, and made a lot of good friends.  Then my health failed this last December and I haven't cooked  since.  I can't.  I have kept the friends thank heavens.  My thanks to all of you for your friendship and help.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

EG changed my life big time.  For years I didn't join because I was intimidated--I mean, Bourdain posted here for heaven's sake!  I wish now I had been braver and joined sooner.  

Sous vide would have never happened.  The VacMaster would have never happened.  The combo steam ovens would have never happened.  Grinding grains to make breads would have never happened.  I'm very sure there are more things that I'm not thinking of right now.

@lemniscateI'm honored to have inspired you.  You've made my month :) 

Thank you EG!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

I forgot about that.   I still use the Anova 1 and the more ancient sous vide supreme.

Still have my Anova one and 2 Anova Precisions.   Bought one for my self and one for each  my 2 children.  One gave it back to me so I have 2 Precisions.   I got away from SV for quite awhile and easing in back in to it.    

Here is a use I was using before we moved to a small beach condo.   If I had something vac packed frozen from the freezer, I would clip the Anova to the divider in the sink and run it with no heat.  Would thaw in record time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, scubadoo97 said:

Still have my Anova one and 2 Anova Precisions.   Bought one for my self and one for each  my 2 children.  One gave it back to me so I have 2 Precisions.   I got away from SV for quite awhile and easing in back in to it.    

Here is a use I was using before we moved to a small beach condo.   If I had something vac packed frozen from the freezer, I would clip the Anova to the divider in the sink and run it with no heat.  Would thaw in record time

Nice tip!

I don't have a circulator myself, but at some point I'll find a way to work that into one of my articles.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Darienne If you feel up to replying, was there any one particular thing that sparked your interest?  (Glad to see your post.)

Learning to make ice cream...which I don't care for and working with chocolate and candying orange peels and ginger.  But I have to say it was and is mostly the people for me.  My very first friends were HeidiH and Andiesenji and Lior who lives in Israel.

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I sometimes thaw a frozen vac packed hunk of whatever in a bowl with cold water which also works to thaw whatever quicker.  Never thought of using sous vide.  I'll try it next time.  I don't have a divided sink but I'll just use a suitably sized pot.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2024 at 1:15 PM, ElsieD said:

I sometimes thaw a frozen vac packed hunk of whatever in a bowl with cold water which also works to thaw whatever quicker.  Never thought of using sous vide.  I'll try it next time.  I don't have a divided sink but I'll just use a suitably sized pot.

Will work just fine.   

• Like 1