• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Maryland

Captain

26 minutes ago, Captain said:

Pan seared chicken Maryland with mustard cream sauce.

Looks great! I have never heard of chicken Maryland, even though I live here. Was your recipe anything like this?

Escoffier’s Chicken Maryland is a breaded, pan-fried chicken garnished with bananas. According to Francis Beirne’s 1951 classic “The Amiable Baltimoreans,” bananas were one of the Port of Baltimore’s 10 leading imports, and they made their way into all sorts of dishes.

:smile:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Captain said:

Pan seared chicken Maryland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always understood chicken Marilyn to be the cut of chicken not a specific recipe. I was always told that it was the thigh and leg portion together.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always understood chicken Marilyn to be the cut of chicken not a specific recipe. I was always told that it was the thigh and leg portion together.

Interesting.  According to Wikipedia chicken Maryland means different things in different countries.  The cut of thigh and drumstick together is the Australian definition.  In Maryland chicken Maryland is fried chicken and gravy, garnished with bananas.

I had never heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Maryland

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That's my understanding as well.  When I first came across a recipe that specified  "4 chicken marylands" I had to look ir up. But there is also a dish called Chicken Maryland which consists of a fried chicken cutlet, or even just fried chicken. No idea what would make it particular to the state of Maryland  in either case.

12 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Regional nomenclature's fun, isn't it? Up here a "leg" is always the whole thing; the individual segments are thigh and drumstick.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

30 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Regional nomenclature's fun, isn't it? Up here a "leg" is always the whole thing; the individual segments are thigh and drumstick.

Anna always referred to the leg and thigh as a Maryland - but she was a brit!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anna always referred to the leg and thigh as a Maryland - but she was a brit!

I don't recall the term from Britain. But then there's a lot I don't recall and BrE can be very regional. Early references do all seem to refer to breaded and fried chicken, though.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I don't recall the term from Britain. But then there's a lot I don't recall and BrE can be very regional. Early references do all seem to refer to breaded and fried chicken, though.

Course I'm not sure if she was born to it or picked it up after she emigrated. I have inherited it - and it's funny when you ask the butcher for some chicken marylands and they have  no clue - which is likely why I continue to do it!

• Haha 7

I also recall Maryland chicken dishes involved the leg w the attached thigh

usually w some sort of creamy sauce 

first time Ive seen an RxMaryland w bananas.

bacon in a Rx is always helpful as a tie-in.

If the state of Maryland wants to think it invented dark meat, well, that just doesn't fly. But having a weird word meaning the leg-thigh in one piece is fine by me. If that's what they original intended they didn't do a very good PR job.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

If the state of Maryland wants to think it invented dark meat, well, that just doesn't fly. But having a weird word meaning the leg-thigh in one piece is fine by me. If that's what they original intended they didn't do a very good PR job.

Haha. I have never heard the term in a lifetime of living in Maryland. So it is not like we are running around all proud of ourselves over a cut of chicken. 😉

Preparation, from the link I posted upthread:

Escoffier’s Chicken Maryland is a breaded, pan-fried chicken garnished with bananas. According to Francis Beirne’s 1951 classic “The Amiable Baltimoreans,” bananas were one of the Port of Baltimore’s 10 leading imports, and they made their way into all sorts of dishes.

Sounds like fuzzy nomenclature whether "chicken Maryland" refers to the cut or the preparation. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@C. sapidus

good to know .

but you put Bananas in everything   Ok 1/4 of everything ?

or was that when the port of Baltimore was actually busy ?

and what does a French Chef  , even one of Escoffier's renown 

really know about Baltimore ?   

but I distinctively thought maryland chicken referred to a cut.

leg and thigh

OK  maybe only in France.

P.S.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Maryland

guess the leg/thigh cut is Australisn

who knew ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@C. sapidus

but you put Bananas in everything   Ok 1/4 of everything ?

or was that when the port of Baltimore was actually busy ?

Can't recall the last time I cooked with bananas. Apparently I'm cooking Maryland-style wrong. I do like plantains?

Probably when the port of Baltimore was actually busy. The B&O railroad and the National Highway (now US 40) connected the port of Baltimore with the interior, and the city was one of the US top ten by population from the earliest census through 1980, rising as high as #2 from 1830 to 1850.

• Like 1

I know you all we be delighted that Chicken Maryland has even made it into the German National TV (ZDF). Of course they have the only authentic version, combining pretty much all features individually discussed here: breaded pan-fried chicken, mustard cream sauce, bacon, bananas (the former wrapped around the latter), …

IMG_1754.thumb.jpeg.cb47f61f75fef15f80e7cb3e85888f76.jpeg

https://www.zdf.de/gesellschaft/volle-kanne/chicken-maryland-100.html

Rejoice and replicate 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

is that whole horseradish on the right upper ?

I‘d say so … although it doesn’t really fit to the dish. Or salsify, which doesn’t fit neither. Mystery of TV decorations 🙃

• Like 2

id say banana wrapped w bacon needs further study.

Id say an under , but not too under ripe banana

decent bacon , nor over artisanal 

might be quite interesting

mildly sweet banana flavor , not mushy consistency ( under ripe )

might work well w salty , porky , crispy smoky 

texture of the final banana would be important to get right.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

FWIW Bacon and plantain go nicely together.

I can imagine that plantain (which I find less sweet and starchier than bananas) might be a better combination than a banana although still not sure about the mustard sauce but never say never...