• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2024

Last night I went to prepare my monthly batch of orgeat.  Till I discovered I was out of Marcona almonds and organic Turkish apricot kernels.  How could this have happened?

Tonight's libation was a Knickerbocker:  @Splificator's recipe.  Raspberry gum from @feste's Small Hand Foods.  And for the rum @Ed Hamilton's Zombie Blend.  Not a mai tai by any means, but tasty and the job gets done.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The other day, I made the Salty Margarita Sour from Joe Yonan's Cool Beans.  

C1DBC6D9-27A2-42DC-B383-C000AAA82F93_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.61ab85a56d9282b91632d21e12a60e77.jpeg

He credits the idea to a margarita he had at José Andrés's Mexican restaurant, Oyamel, topped with a foamy layer of "salt air" instead of a salt rim on the glass. Yonan decided to try it with a frothy layer of whipped, salted aquafaba.  I don't really care for the grittiness of salt rims on cocktails but I enjoyed this version.

The recipe is available online at this link.  Scroll down, it's the last recipe. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Yesterday I was evaluating a grapefruit juicer for review, so I made a Jet Pilot from Shannon Mustipher's book TIKI.  The Jet pilot is rather like a baby Zombie.  Still having grapefruit juice to use up I think tonight's libation may be her Golden Barnacle.

Oh, and I clarified the juice.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

If you have fresh squeezed grapefruit juice - a paloma is wonderful. 

I googled and the paloma recipes I saw called for grapefruit soda.  Were you thinking to swap carbonated fresh grapefruit juice for grapefruit soda?  I have seven more grapefruit to use up!

As we speak I am enjoying tonight's Golden Barnacle.

Edit:  Just noticed a paloma recipe that calls for fresh grapefruit juice and sparkling water.  Seems easier just to carbonate the juice.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

We are in the Berkshires in Western MA visiting my nephew.and family. They live in the middle of nowhere and it's lovely. Despite the odds there is a wonderful place called the Dream Away Lodge ten minutes from their house.. It's in an old traditional reconverted farmhouse. We all had Porch Swings. I've never had one before, mainly because I thought they were always made with bourbon, which I don't really like, but these were made with gin and they were fantastic. Summer in a glass. And it is hot weather here in MA. The place was packed. We sat outdoors where the kids could run up and down a grassy slope. We all could have had several more Porch Swings but the kids were getting hungry and there were no available tables for food service. Sadly the place was all booked up tonight for dinner, or we would have made a reservation. The Porch Swing is going to replace my G & T this summer if I can figure out how to make one.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with Morgenthaler's rhubarb syrup. I used a nut bag to filter and there was still quite a bit of solid stuff left in there, but it sedimented to the bottom of the jar so I was able to avoid it. 

Rum version with Paranubes agricole-style Oaxacan rhum. It was a bit too busy, the rum & rhubarb sort of fighting each other.

53753567596_d9ebe77823_b.jpg

Gin version (front) and a whiskey version in the back for my husband. I really liked the gin version. Nikka has peppery notes that worked especially well with the rhubarb syrup. The rhubarb added interesting flavors without screaming "rhubarb", and the drink looked really pretty.

Gin & whiskey lime sours with Morgenthaler's rhubarb syrup

• Like 5