• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Impact of Winter Weather on Food Shopping in US

Is it just here in our area, or is everyone in the country experiencing a shortage of food--mostly produce--right now?

My Misfits Market order had to be submitted last night. I had already put a few things in the cart, but when I went in to finalize it, there were a grand total of 4 vegetables available to choose from. And 2 of those were tofu. 

When I began talking about it with friends in the area, they said that all the stores are depleted. Is this a factor of people stocking up to get through the dreadful weather we've had this month, or is it that weather has been so dreadful throughout the country (and even the world), that the growing areas have not been able to produce as usual?

Deb

Liberty, MO

We had some hiccups in our area surrounding the relatively minor snow events last week, I suspect it was due to shipments of produce which were delayed from California. Some dry goods were out of stock, but that happens sometimes when the market has a "hot sale" on something so it could be supply chain issues or under stock/over sold! There was one stretch where we had zero availability of grape/cherry tomatoes for around a week.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Not much here in Michigan. My nearby supermarket was briefly out of celery and was running short on mushrooms, but that's about it, at least as far as I saw. The market was indeed more crowded than usual pre-storm, but it didn't look like there was a major run on any products. We're pretty blasé up here about big storms. A pandemic, on the other hand...

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

today @ Market Basket everything looked normal

Dairy / Juices / cheese wall full

Meats full

fresh produce full

its s bit different @ TJ's , but the place looked the same.

• Like 1

We saw some isolated "shortages" (I noticed chicken, mostly.  And it was all chicken - whole roasters, parts, ground - there was no chicken whatsoever!) the first two weeks in January and people thought it was a combination of holiday timing (on Mondays) and weather. Now I'm noticing some things are in short supply but not as widespread as earlier.

• Like 1

in thinking about what @JeanneCake me ntioned

as we are in similar areas

I guess MarketBasket might have had a similar chicken issue weeks ago 

the chicken ' case ' was empty , and I chalked it up tp them preparing the refrigeration system.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 8:03 AM, Maison Rustique said:

Is it just here in our area, or is everyone in the country experiencing a shortage of food--mostly produce--right now?

My Misfits Market order had to be submitted last night. I had already put a few things in the cart, but when I went in to finalize it, there were a grand total of 4 vegetables available to choose from. And 2 of those were tofu. 

When I began talking about it with friends in the area, they said that all the stores are depleted. Is this a factor of people stocking up to get through the dreadful weather we've had this month, or is it that weather has been so dreadful throughout the country (and even the world), that the growing areas have not been able to produce as usual?

I shop for groceries from Misfits the minute my window opens--or as soon as I can if something is going on that I can't.  There are a lot of choices at that time....If I wait until the last day of my 3 day window it looks just as you describe in both the fruit and the vegetable sections. 

Local stores--haven't noticed shortages but definitely the prices are a lot higher.

• Like 1

I'm not seeing any shortages in Yuma, Arizona -- but this place bills itself as the country's winter produce capital (I probably don't have the slogan quite right). There may be some empty meat sections, but they seem to correlate to bargains.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

28 minutes ago, Anchobrie said:

I was expecting some stuff semi-preserved and it took an extra week to arrive... I can imagine how bad it may have been

Was the carrier FedEx by chance?  I'm waiting on a package that's currently a week behind schedule. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

Was the carrier FedEx by chance?  I'm waiting on a package that's currently a week behind schedule. 

it was, and some delays were non acceptable, as they claim to have the product at town office (less than 20.000 souls,

~4 miles apart) for a week.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Shelby said:

I shop for groceries from Misfits the minute my window opens--or as soon as I can if something is going on that I can't.  There are a lot of choices at that time....If I wait until the last day of my 3 day window it looks just as you describe in both the fruit and the vegetable sections. 

Local stores--haven't noticed shortages but definitely the prices are a lot higher.

Misfits was depleted from the minute my window opened this time. I keep wondering if it is something about the distribution center that serves my area. A couple of weeks ago, delivery was a day late with no notice about it. I don't get communications from them in a timely fashion. Often the email that tells me the order shipped and some items won't be in it doesn't go out until after the order is already here!! I can't plan meals if I don't know what I'm getting. And my other regular grocery order goes in just prior to this one, so it is too late to order from them if Misfits is out of something. Ready to quit Misfits again.

• Sad 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

13 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Misfits was depleted from the minute my window opened this time. I keep wondering if it is something about the distribution center that serves my area. A couple of weeks ago, delivery was a day late with no notice about it. I don't get communications from them in a timely fashion. Often the email that tells me the order shipped and some items won't be in it doesn't go out until after the order is already here!! I can't plan meals if I don't know what I'm getting. And my other regular grocery order goes in just prior to this one, so it is too late to order from them if Misfits is out of something. Ready to quit Misfits again.

That's really too bad.  I'm guessing it's Misfits and not FedEx that is doing the deliveries?  Have you tried writing to customer service?  In my experiences they respond within 24 hours and always have a solution.  Often they offer me $5 off my next order due to what ever problem had happened.....

Where do your boxes ship from?  Mine are from San Antonio, TX.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

That's really too bad.  I'm guessing it's Misfits and not FedEx that is doing the deliveries?  Have you tried writing to customer service?  In my experiences they respond within 24 hours and always have a solution.  Often they offer me $5 off my next order due to what ever problem had happened.....

Where do your boxes ship from?  Mine are from San Antonio, TX.

They are delivered by trucks that say Imperfect Foods (They merged a year or so ago.) I don't think they say where they come from.

Yesterday was my delivery day. I got an email around 3 pm saying it had shipped. I clicked on the tracking and it said the truck was about 5 minutes away. And it was. But that's what I mean--why am I getting these emails so late? And I have complained. Last time, they never responded. I think they just don't like me.  Ha!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

19 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

They are delivered by trucks that say Imperfect Foods (They merged a year or so ago.) I don't think they say where they come from.

Yesterday was my delivery day. I got an email around 3 pm saying it had shipped. I clicked on the tracking and it said the truck was about 5 minutes away. And it was. But that's what I mean--why am I getting these emails so late? And I have complained. Last time, they never responded. I think they just don't like me.  Ha!

I see.  Mine are brought by FedEx so I have double alerts--FedEx always has a tracking number etc.  so I can stay on top of it (side note, my box was supposed to be here yesterday....FedEx says it's delayed due to weather sigh. ). Misfits must not have a great system down yet to alert you of changes and that's too bad :( 

• Like 2

I order Misfits every 4-5 weeks in rotation with our local FreshDirect. When I logged onto Misfits a few days ago, they had a header banner saying they had stock issues due to weather. Mostly vegetables. I logged on and checked before starting a cart....sure enough, most what I usually order and rely on were out of stock. So I went with my other market this go-around. 

Still the best prices if careful. I never rely on them to be 100%. I had some issues last spring before taking a summer break from Misfits. 

During the holidays I had an unprecedented perfect order. As if a supervisor packed my order maybe during a training 'new employee' event. 

We wait for the Misfits delivery before any other shopping. Can't rely on them for meal planning. My orders are usually 100-120$, so now free shipping.

• Like 2