• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Very quick after work dinner tonight. Rose Veal sirloin steaks. Oven chips and peas. I had wholegrain mustard instead of my usual English mustard. Some garlic mayonnaise to dip the chips in.

we finished up with a little Ossau Iraty, a semi hard Spanish sheep’s cheese and a glass of Merlot. Very nice.

IMG_5393.thumb.jpeg.42b770a6ed7662f3be7c7dad6f64d076.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

I made beef bulgogi today.  It was the same recipe I made a couple weeks ago. Charlie said it was better than the last time. I said I used rice wine this time instead of mirin, if that makes much difference.  I found out I was out of mirin just as I needed it so I ran to the closest store and they didn't have it. Probably the only store in Kansas City that didn't have it. I was about to drive to another grocery when I realized there was a liquor store across the street and they must have sake and they did.  He said it was the best he ever had except for once at a restaurant in Seattle.  He said I probably shouldn't make it when his mom comes to visit.  😋

IMG_1769.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Grilled blackened salmon with grilled radicchio (a rare find here in central Mexico) with a chipotle cherry dipping sauce.  My portion of salmon is always the thinner ends of a fillet as I like mine a tad more cooked than mi esposo.  

salrad.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I got my inspiration for dinner last night entirely from EG. I made chicken with a creamy picata sauce (thanks  @weinoo) and asparagus with hollandaise  (recipe from @gulfporter). 

20240822_084802.thumb.jpg.796d16bf283d3c6b1a72b324cfe92951.jpg

Not the most beautiful plating but it was delicious.

20240822_084841.thumb.jpg.b41a22b5b0a671bc4f104ed904b1f9b0.jpg

I never ever thought of making microwave hollandaise but it was really good. Not quite as thick as I would have liked, but simple and delicious. Something that I will be making often.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Ribeye with the usual suspects. A  fast and easy meal.  I cooked some garlic, rosemary and thyme in butter and  oil to infuse the flavors and then cooked a  salt and peppered $12.00 ribeye in it.  I took it off the heat when the thermometer read 129º and let it sit for a bit.  Then I cut it in half and there was enough for the two of us. We had it with mashed potatoes, peas, gravy and garlic bread.

IMG_1771.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Thai green curry with prawns and cauliflower. Somehow I always let the coconut milk get too hot and the mixture splits. Still tastes OK though. 

Also edited to add the apple and almond tart I made. Had it with a spoonful of whipped cream. 

IMG_2461.jpeg.8787e977ac4f3494248e7da94cbbae79.jpeg676E1E1B-6F47-4742-8ADF-FFF8E30C25FF.jpeg.16fbd0f9350267d83247a1658953a172.jpeg

Edited by Neely (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Light dinner (after lunch out); split a mini quiche from local bakery and fresh green beans with bacon.  The green beans are grown on nearby Mezcala Island and best tasting I've ever had.  

quichebeans.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

IMG_2728.thumb.jpeg.187edfc84066ebad4aac6c4483d18da5.jpeg

Have some really lovely heirloom cherry tomatoes, along with green and wax beans. 

IMG_2734.thumb.jpeg.1429a9c3e7b34faed3f69569979e5d2c.jpeg

Made a walnut-miso dressing, from Hiroko Shimbo's classic The Japanese Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) cookbook. 

IMG_2735.thumb.jpeg.d017418248927b6600f486d5014d165d.jpeg

What in Spain might be called socarrat, in Japan is most likely called okoge. My okoge game was strong last night, in this donabe rice with salmon, halibut and hijiki.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

From earlier in the week, grilled lamb chops scottadito (following a recipe from Babbo). The lamb chops are rubbed with a mixture of fresh mint, lemon zest, sugar, salt, and pepper. I served them with cumin yoghurt on the side, and some grilled zucchini.

Grilled lamb chops scottadito

grilled lamb chops scottadito with cumin yoghurt

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

I'm completely out of the habit of taking photos but every now and then I think I should. Last night's dinner was one, not because it was complex but because it was simple but SO good. 

My stepdaughter and her boyfriend were burned out in the wildfire a month ago in Jasper Alberta and have been staying with us here. They are going to stay here long term now and have just arranged for an apartment to rent. While here, they have been picking blackberries because we all love them. Now I have lots in the freezer but also still had some fresh ones to finish off and some wild sockeye salmon filets. So this recipe for Salmon with Blackberry-Wine Sauce jumped out at me. 

Loved this sauce although I should have reduced it a bit more, it wasn't quite thick enough. But the blackberry and ginger and lemon and wine was all so good together in that sauce. Definitely doing this one again, can use some of those frozen berries. 

My little garden's bush beans are done but I still have some pole beans so steamed some of those and added a wild rice blend as well. 

This is the Saveur photo that accompanied the recipe. 

image.thumb.png.eaf936ffc08b8e2acd509add795e4c43.png

This is the rice blend I used. It's new to me, but we all liked it. 

PXL_20240824_010600448.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.d168aca6ff3299941f7cacff6033efbb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

I keep telling myself, but apparently still haven't learned, that I really have to have my dinner prep done by mid-afternoon, or it will all go to pieces. In Hangry Mode. Therefore, I have vegetables that need slicing and roasting; burger thawing; herbs awaiting treatment for tabbouli and several sauces and salads;  freshly cooked garbanzos awaiting hummus; a fresh ear of corn that I didn't ask for but a friend gave me...but when I actually had time to start cooking dinner I was already hangry. I mean hangry. Actually, I mean hangry. I am very, very glad that I already had salad greens and salad dressing prepped. Some grated cheese, pieces of smoked salmon, chunks of tomato and avocado, and other accoutrements did the trick. 

Here's dinner, before I tossed the salad and ate.

20240823_190111.jpg

Maybe now I can get to the washing, chopping and roasting for the next set of home convenience foods.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm completely out of the habit of taking photos but every now and then I think I should. Last night's dinner was one, not because it was complex but because it was simple but SO good. 

My stepdaughter and her boyfriend were burned out in the wildfire a month ago in Jasper Alberta and have been staying with us here. They are going to stay here long term now and have just arranged for an apartment to rent. While here, they have been picking blackberries because we all love them. Now I have lots in the freezer but also still had some fresh ones to finish off and some wild sockeye salmon filets. So this recipe for Salmon with Blackberry-Wine Sauce jumped out at me. 

Loved this sauce although I should have reduced it a bit more, it wasn't quite thick enough. But the blackberry and ginger and lemon and wine was all so good together in that sauce. Definitely doing this one again, can use some of those frozen berries. 

My little garden's bush beans are done but I still have some pole beans so steamed some of those and added a wild rice blend as well. 

This is the Saveur photo that accompanied the recipe. 

image.thumb.png.eaf936ffc08b8e2acd509add795e4c43.png

This is the rice blend I used. It's new to me, but we all liked it. 

PXL_20240824_010600448.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.d168aca6ff3299941f7cacff6033efbb.jpg

That looks wonderful, and many thanks for the link! This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to be doing...if I start, or plan, well enough in advance.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

That looks wonderful, and many thanks for the link! This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to be doing...if I start, or plan, well enough in advance.

The sauce can be made in advance, that's what I did. I didn't process it, I just pressed it through a strainer and refrigerated it. (It could possibly be frozen.) Then I reheated it later while I was cooking the salmon and only added the butter at that point. 

We had amazing wild blackberries this year, the right combo of Spring rain followed by summer warmth.This sauce was so luscious, capturing all that sweet/tart/richness.

But it's really a quick sauce to make. I was just lucky when the recipe showed up. I happened to have a fresh lemon, some frozen ginger, an open bottle of red wine and those amazing berries. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FauxPas said:

The sauce can be made in advance, that's what I did. I didn't process it, I just pressed it through a strainer and refrigerated it. (It could possibly be frozen.) Then I reheated it later while I was cooking the salmon and only added the butter at that point. 

We had amazing wild blackberries this year, the right combo of Spring rain followed by summer warmth.This sauce was so luscious, capturing all that sweet/tart/richness.

But it's really a quick sauce to make. I was just lucky when the recipe showed up. I happened to have a fresh lemon, some frozen ginger, an open bottle of red wine and those amazing berries. 

Now that is something I am going to do. I've used blackberries in the past as a sauce for duck breasts but wouldn't have thought to use it with salmon We're in the height of blackberry foraging season here so the next time I get some salmon.......

• Like 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot