• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indoor pizza ovens

lindag

1 minute ago, lindag said:

Wait!  I was wrong.  The pan goes right on the surface, no stone.

I just watched a Youtube video, this one, check it out, very helpful.

I'm going to look for more.

Ok.  Got it.  Thank you!  I flipped thru the manual and I couldn't find instructions except for how to season it.

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

how thick was the dough on that pizza w the ultra-crispy peperoni ?

is it possible that the ultra high temps are for pizza thats

on the thinner side ?

cooking the dough being the time factor to consider ?

It was thicker than it should have been IMO.  I also should have turned down the far right dial to make it less dark.  

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

It was thicker than it should have been IMO.  I also should have turned down the far right dial to make it less dark.  

also, check your dough hydration.  I'm no pizza maker but I've read enough about it.  Super high temp ovens need a different hydration than regular ovens even at max temp.

• Thanks 2

If the stone isn't preheated enough and the fire is hot you will overcook the top and not the bottom.  The "only" thing temp wise you need to check on a pizza oven is the stone.  On my Ooni it can either be too hot or too cold which will change only the bottom basically.  The flame is easy enough to adjust by sight.  Obviously the indoor ones could be different in how they heat, but if the dough was raw I'd first contemplate a cheap infrared thermometer to measure the stone surface.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

I might first cook some unadorned, or very lightly adorned, pizzas.  And see how it works.

I had that same thought.  I tend to over do on toppings lol.  I have to go to the store today so I'm going to get more cheese and give it another go.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

''''   over do on toppings  '''

after the buzz dies down on the perfect crust

its about the toppings 

I like this attitude.  Hopefully I can refrain from dumping them all over the inside of the oven lol.

• Like 1

well , indoor pizza ovens have ' made it .'

in today's NYTimes  Food   ' Front Burner  ' section 

[ small blurbs to keep you on top of things ]

they chose

Cuisinart Indoor Pizza Oven, Portable Countertop Pizza Oven that Bakes 12" Pizzas in Minutes, Stainless Steel, CPZ-120 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) (in case someone wants to buy this one ANYWAY)

' an immensely appealing factor is the price :  $ 399.95 '

guess no one from the NYTimes lurks on eG .

drunk.jpeg.085d3fb0c4a4583def573b4b8500e4f4.jpeg

So :

how many years will it take ATK to catch on ? 

Edited by rotuts (log)

I still think the baking steel in a home oven can't be beat for indoor use.

I'm addicted to YouTube pizza oven videos.  I love the possibilities.  I love the outdoor oven builds, I love the new tech.  But I can do a better Neapolitan style in my oven on the steel than I've ever seen come out of one of these ovens.

That's not to say that they couldn't beat mine, they could easily, but they generally don't.

And what I want now is to do an 18" NYC style.  I can't do that in my oven.  14" max.  And that's bigger than pretty much all of these.

• Like 4

as I understand it

the buzz on all these stand alone ovens

is that they get much hotter than a conventional 30 " ( or larger )

kitchen oven.

should that be the case 

the pizza that comes out of them might be cooked faster .

and faster implies added deliciousness 

I personally dont know what to make of the last conclusion 

Ive had outstanding commercial pizza in several well known places .

none seemed to take 3 minutes .  so I can't comment on the

3 minute taste .

• Like 1

The gold standard seems to be 90 seconds in an Old World oven that was started in the morning for service later in the day.

This, along with 12 hours of dough development produces a product that is light and airy, but with a wafer thin char and the requisite 'leoparding'.

But with three days of cold dough development and 4 minutes of bake, our home oven pizza can get pretty damn close.

• Like 2

I haven't had enough time to play around with my oven like I would like to, but I did a second pizza the other day.  Turned out much better.  I just need a bit more tweaking.  Need to make a double batch of dough so I have some to mess with.

thumbnail_IMG_4975.jpg.46615a9b671b61018eaa150ec4746425.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

After a few days of not feeling up to par, today I made a real Pizzaola pizza om the stone (not the pan pizza of earlier).  

Made the rookie mistake of too many toppings.   Because it was well-loaded it took longer to bake and the result was a rather tough crust...although that could have been from handling the dough too much.

Overall, it wasn't bad and I learned a lot.  Biggest problem I had was in shaping the crust and tying to get it even; it wanted to spring back.

I used a commercial sauce (Muir Glen Pizza Sauce) that was quite good, rich and thick, I'll do that again.

Now I'm ready to try again.

Having trouble loading my picture.

Edited to add my photo:

image.png.a02a00a6ea4522272bf5846a961c98ee.png

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

15 minutes ago, lindag said:

After a few days of not feeling up to par, today I made a real Pizzaola pizza om the stone (not the pan pizza of earlier).  

Made the rookie mistake of too many toppings.   Because it was well-loaded it took longer to bake and the result was a rather tough crust...although that could have been from handling the dough too much.

Overall, it wasn't bad and I learned a lot.  Biggest problem I had was in shaping the crust and tying to get it even; it wanted to spring back.

I used a commercial sauce (Muir Glen Pizza Sauce) that was quite good, rich and thick, I'll do that again.

Now I'm ready to try again.

Having trouble loading my picture.

FWIW, Rao's makes a good pizza sauce.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I made a pan pizza, I like how easy this is...no fussing with getting the peel properly dusted so crust doesn't stick.

This one was just red sauce, pepperoni, onion, black olives, mushrooms, mozza and sprinkle of parm.  Also added some oregano, pizza seasoning and crushed red pepper.  Turn out great although I still don't have the 'just right' pizza dough recipe.

Sorry but I forgot to get a photo.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

When this happens, you just need to walk away for 15 minutes.

Exactly.  I find that pouring a nice glass of wine, putting my feet up and chilling out with a book or eGullet for 15 or 20 min works wonders to relax the dough!

And @lindag, while you’re sipping your wine, watch Ken Forkish's video on shaping, letting the weight of the dough stretch it out for you. If it’s not stretching out on its own when you hold it up in the air, have another few sips of wine 🍷 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I ordered the Ooni Fyra 12. I've read a lot of reviews about it, and all of them were great. Hope it will do a good job. 

I paid 310$ for it, using the code PROFYRABUNDLE. It offered 75$ off. Found it on this site. There might be other discounts for other stores that will help you to save some cash. 

Edited by Avachocolate (log)
  • Like 2

Found a really nice pizza dough recipe that works very well and tastes great.

It's worth the effort to keep a sourdough going.

pizza dough

BTW, it's worth getting the pizzas dough flavoring from KAF (or Amazon).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2